S mint marks vs p and d

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by richboy, Jan 13, 2010.

1. richboy

richboy Junior Member

Eny idea why the coins from san francisco cost more than others coins.
    Lets say an s coin with limited mintages (999,999)will cost $300.00 and a p or d coin with the same mintages will cost less.
    I am talking about mint state coins.not proof.i started to collect coins in 2007 and i have noticed this differences in prices.thanks for your opinion

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

I'm sorry, I'm not sure quite what you mean. Are there any modern non-precious metal coins with such high mintages which cost $300 ?

4. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

There is so much more involved in pricing than the mint, that there is no way co answer you question. Just as an example, for the SLQ's using just the Red Book;

1921- 1.9 M mintage VF20 = $550
    1926-D 1.7 M mintage VF20 = $35
    1930-S 1.5 M mintage VF20 = $15

Here, the highest mintage - Philadelphia - is the most expensive while the lowest mintage - San Francisco - is the cheapest.

5. richboy

richboy Junior Member

my question was?
    why sometimes a coin made in san francisco (S) cost more than other coins made in denver(D) or philadelphia(P)?
    thanks

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

But I just showed you that they do not. You are going to have to show us something very specific before we can answer.

7. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

richboy, can you give us an example?

8. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

I know that for some series the S mint coins seem to cost a bunch more. This is true of a lot of gold coins, especially early 20th century gold (but not all of them of course). During that time the coins actually circulated out West, but the philadelphia counterparts didn't as much, so the higher graded P examples cost a lot more than the S examples. I'm sure the same can be said of other series too. And the same can help explain why some New Orleans mint coins are much more expensive than the P mints with similar mintages.

So, even with a similar mintage, prices of coins are still based on supply and demand. If there is a lower surviving population of nice examples from one mint vs. another mint that is what matters, not the original mintage.

Draft saved Draft deleted