S-Mint Business Strike Parks Quarters Mintage Watch

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Apr 23, 2015.

1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Here are the cumulative sales for all options for the sold out S-Mint Business Strike AtB Quarters. Some numbers are from the Red Book and differ slightly from the U.S. Mint's sales reports. I’ll try to update this list as sales are updated and later issues sell out.

El Yunque National Forest, PR------------------------------------1,679,240
    Chaco Culture National Historical Park, NM----------------------1,389,020
    Acadia National Park, ME-----------------------------------------1,409,120
    Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, HI------------------------------1,407,520
    Denali National Park, AK------------------------------------------1,401,920

White Mountain National Forest, NH-----------------------------1,606,900
    Perry's Victory & International Peace Memorial, OH------------1,425,740
    Great Basin National Park, NV-----------------------------------1,316,500
    Ft. McHenry National Monument & Historic Shrine, MD--------1,313,680
    Mount Rushmore National Memorial, SD------------------------1,373,260

Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN----------------------1,360,780
    Shenandoah National Park, VA-----------------------------------1,230,280 *

* May change slightly when final sales are reported next week.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    TopcatCoin, miedbe7 and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ernie11

ernie11 Member

Minor question: Have the Shenandoah's gone off sale? Didn't think it had happened yet.

4. statequarterguy

5. ernie11

ernie11 Member

Wow, didn't know. Thanks for correcting me.

6. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I would say about 10K ppl are regularly buying these S-rolls. I still need to grab some of the '14s along with this years offerings. The way I see it is they are less than 2x face and I'm getting mintages THAT low. The floor is a loss of $50 a year. I'm glad I started buying these in '12. Just wish they started making them in '10! LOL.

I think the real winners though in this series will be those that have complete puck collections when it's all said and done. I have none. Those will be MASSIVE and a sight to behold. That'd be 280 or 560 oz of silver if you collected both bullion and SP. Crazy.

Those ~1K ppl collecting the first spouse gold might have the last laugh tho.

TopcatCoin likes this.
  7. statequarterguy

Yep, at less than $0.50 a piece from the mint, very little to NO down side risk. Since the Parks Quarters should continue to grow in popularity and album pages will be issued for these S-Mint business strikes, we should see a significant rate of return on them.

8. statequarterguy

Shenandoah increased slightly with todays sales report, but it is still the lowest mintage.

El Yunque National Forest, PR-----------------------------------1,679,240
    Chaco Culture National Historical Park, NM---------------------1,389,020
    Acadia National Park, ME-----------------------------------------1,409,120
    Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, HI------------------------------1,407,520
    Denali National Park, AK------------------------------------------1,401,920

White Mountain National Forest, NH-----------------------------1,606,900
    Perry's Victory & International Peace Memorial, OH------------1,425,740
    Great Basin National Park, NV-----------------------------------1,316,500
    Ft. McHenry National Monument & Historic Shrine, MD--------1,313,680
    Mount Rushmore National Memorial, SD------------------------1,373,260

Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN----------------------1,360,780
    Shenandoah National Park, VA-----------------------------------1,232,260 *

* May change slightly until removed from weekly sales report.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  9. onecenter

onecenter Member

Interesting numbers. From highest to lowest, between 42,000 and 30,000 rolls of 40 are sold for each quarter. I buy one for each issue and keep it intact.

10. Less than that. I think these numbers also include the 100 count mint bags. TC

11. statequarterguy

Yep, for example, Shenandoah sold 16,624 rolls & 5,673 bags for a total of 22,297 units. Many, like myself, buy multiple rolls, so those holding these are far fewer than 22,297. All but one of my rolls for each will be kept intact, so, even fewer available for filling holes (when the holes are available).

12. onecenter

onecenter Member

You are both correct. Forgot about the bags. That would make rolls even more scarce. I like that.

13. miedbe7

I am conducting an experiment of sorts on the demand for the sold-out S-mint rolls of these AtB quarters (read: NR auction). I'm sure I'll be able glean something from this about the series presently and where it might be heading, or at a minimum, about how NOT to sell relatively low demand items with no safety net. :) I have a couple more days to wait but won't say anymore as to not directly advertise them.

I figured I'd be OK breaking even on the net total, just to unload the extras that I have opened from their boxes. However, at the moment, I have a hunch that I might not even get face value ($120) as the GROSS total. I don't think I've ever seen that happen. Anyone seen less than face value on a clad lot on eBay? Then again, maybe I'm underestimating the potential for a flurry during the last hours or minutes. Either way, I will post the results as they should be interesting.

14. statequarterguy

Not the time to sell these. The only ones bringing a decent premium are El Yunque, Hawaii & Chaco, and even those are nowhere near their potential.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Fixed that for you. :)

16. miedbe7

LOL. That was NOT my intention Jeff, but thank you.

My more general question was has anyone ever seen FV failed to be realized? I guess in a more general sense what't the worst result in an auction you've witnessed.

And apologies to @statequarterguy , did NOT mean to hijack your thread, tho I guess I did.

17. miedbe7

Yep, I think those need to be in the original boxes too. I don't understand why the original boxes are so important. Take for example all those 25th ASE sets still sitting in cardboard, or more recently, the Gold Kennedys.

You're right it's never the RIGHT time to sell when you don't realize what you thought they were worth... To that point, I have $87 in silver sitting at .... nah nevermind, won't push my luck....

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yep.

1 1978D Eisenhower dollar coin plus 1 1976D Kennedy half dollar coin

Seller shipped promptly as advertised, I left five-star feedback. I guess we both figured it wasn't worth fiddling with auction cancellation for a buck; it's not like he would've gotten much more than $1.50 in any case. I guess your question was more about auctions than BIN mistakes, though.

In general, it's unusual for things to go below FV, but it does happen. Things certainly go for less than FV before shipping -- in particular, I know I've seen some "fancy serial" $20 bills that went for something like $15 + $5 shipping. If you count both shipping and eBay/PayPal fees, I've seen lots of auctions where the seller would've been further ahead to just cash stuff in at the bank, or even CoinStar.

Compare to old uncanceled postage stamps, which I regularly see offered at coin shows for around 20% below FV. If I used stamps more often, I'd be all over that.

miedbe7 likes this.
  19. statequarterguy

Just saw that Shenandoah is back on sale. What's going on at the mint?

20. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I bought a couple last week and got them, so they are still availble

21. I looked the day you posted they were sold out, and they were still on sale then. Maybe just a glitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted