S$1 and $1

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wcoins, Feb 18, 2014.

1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I have been watching few graded silver dollars, NGC and PCGS. Noticed that some slabs (PCGS mostly) say "$1", and others say S$1 (mostly NGC). Have you noticed that? To me and many other beginners in those coins, that "S" could be confusing. What's that S mean, silver? For a second I thought it may stand for S mint, and so did the seller in the description, almost got burned. Do we need TPG's to tell us that the Morgans are silver? What's the point of that annoying S?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

"S" means silver, it differentiates between say a $1 Silver Ike and a $1 clad Ike.

At least that is my understanding.

4. flintcreek6412

flintcreek6412 Active Member

I've notice my Seated and Peace NGC slabs say S$1. My PCGS Morgans just say $1 yet my PCGS Trade says T$1.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's just a difference in the way the two TPGs label their slabs, that's all.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is frequently used when there is more than one possibility for the date If both gold and silver dollars were made that year you will see G$1 and S$1 If not then you just see $1. They do the same when there are two designs for denomination that year. In 1921 the labels will say Morgan or Peace.

geekpryde likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted