Ryro's Top 10 Macedonian Shield Coins of 2021: Year of the Tets

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Nov 23, 2021.

?

Rate your top 3 MSCs (yeah, yeah it rhymed)

This poll will close on Mar 23, 2030 at 4:34 PM.
  1. Pyrrhos - This is what a backwards Pyrrhic victory looks like

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Alexander III - Just a cherry MSC

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Heraclea Sintica worn but still sexy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Alexander III – Kassander "What's under your helmet?"

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Artemis' tets in two

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. Demetrios I Poliorketes and the space invading UFO

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. The Roman Republic mindlessly riding over their betters

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  8. Antigonos II Gonatas Pan and Athena in some high heels ;)

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  9. Lifetime ATG Tet offensive

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  10. Philip V's Perseus and the end of an era

27 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Ryro, My favorite is the ATG Tet :happy:, followed by the handsome Philip V Tet :D. My 3rd favorite is the Republican denarius with the interesting reverse composition ;).

Ryro and PeteB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow, Scooby-- you are the KING of Macedonian Shield coins! I had no idea there were so many types until you starting working on a set.

My top pick is the Philip V tet. When did you get that?! I must've missed the post. Great coin! Jealous :sorry::sour::D.

As for 2nd and 3rd place... tie between all the rest.

Ryro likes this.
  4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Awesome set of coins! But I on the first one, I think you mean "retrograde" instead of "incuse."

Ryro likes this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Thanks TIF!
    It's true, it's true. :cigar: My new crown is a perfect fit.
    scoob_08.jpg
    I picked up that, I'd call it the budweiser of MSCs but we all know budweiser ain't the king of beers, beauty at the last Numismatik Naumann. Things were selling for, the new normal, INSANE AMOUNTS. I dug my heels in and was very fortunate I only had to swat away two heavy hitters, that must've just not wanted it as badly:smuggrin:
    Thanks and BIG ups @kirispupis :cigar:
    That's a Macedonian treasure trove:jimlad::singing:
    Boss gorgon and excellent helmet on the reverse:woot:
    IMG_2889.jpg

And big fan of kerykeions!
    Screenshot_20210926-155100_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png 2111956_1628874910.l-removebg-preview.png IMG_5745.jpg
    2111956_1628874910.l-removebg-preview.png

And here is a coin that desperately needs a reshoot with the "king Pyrrhos" isn't retrograde like my new one
    IMG_1862(1).jpg

But what a great one to have!:singing: Yours is great on so many counts the obverse, the reverse ooooh and that toning:wideyed:
    Here's mine...:
    IMG_2833(1).jpg

Great minds is what I'll go with:happy:
    And not surprised @Curtisimo , we've both always had excellent taste:smug::smug:
    Now that is a great peeping Tom gorgon:vamp:
    Seems shield adjacent.
    Mine first one has no gorgon...
    IMG_0456.PNG
    So I got her a buddy
    IMG_0457(1).PNG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  6. Ryro

Thanks! And good catch. Updated.

7. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Ryro.....2nd, 7th and especially the 8th for me.....But are ALL lovely looking coins!
    Congrats on a another impressive shield year....Paul

Ryro likes this.
  8. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I voted for Artemis, the RR denarius and Antigonus II. I hope you continue to pick up shields in 2022!

Aidan.

Ryro likes this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nicely done with your MSC additions! Worthy of CT's very own Master of Shields. :D I picked the Philip V (what a coin!), Demetrios Poliorketes (I still don't have one of these...grrr), and First Meris (one of my favorite types of tets) as my top 3 on the list.

Ryro likes this.
  10. Ryro

Thanks so much @zumbly Call it sacrilege, but I thought about putting my fourth meris in my top ten... one problem. Despite sharing the same reverse as our first meris, the obverse is not a shield:
    1900990_1620560327.l-removebg-preview.png

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Awesome shields, @Ryro ! Really likem ALL!

ATG Lifetime, RR, Pyrrhos are the 3 I voted.

Here is a shield and action I always like!

[​IMG]
    Larinum (Frentani), ca. 210-175 BC, bronze quincunx, 22mm, 9.80g
    Obverse:
    Head of Mars (or Athena, per Sear) in crested Corinthian helmet r.
    Reverse: Horseman galloping l., holding spear and shield decorated with thunderbolt, LADINOD below, 5 pellets (denom.) in ex.
    Reference: NH Italy 625, Campania 4a, Morcom 64, BMC 2
    Grading: F , minor porosity, brown patina, very scarce
    Comment: Ex - Colin Pitchfork collection. Ex - Spink America auction (NY, Dec. 6-7 1999, lot 400 - part of). From a private collection formed by a pair of Polish brothers and sold in New York.
    Ex: Rudnck Numismatics

Makedonwn Shield

[​IMG]
    MAKEDON Philip III Arrhidaios 323-317 BCE Æ 1-2 Unit 17mm 4.2g Miletos mint Makedonwn shield Gorgoneion - Helmet bipennis K Price 2064

PeteB, DonnaML, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  12. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

What a selection @Ryro, really great. How many shield coins you got in total at the moment, did you ever count?
    The pyrrhos shield coin is ofcourse great from the great man himself. Those Antigonos and Philip tetradrachms really are spectacular additions to your shield collection, especially the latter one!
    I vote for another one, your Seleukos drachm! It is not on the list but it is definitely a really nice addition of this year as well.

[​IMG]
    Kingdom of Macedon. Pyrrhos. Bronze coin (287–285 B.C. and 274-273 B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Macedonian shield with monogram of Pyrrhos (ΠYP) in central boss.
    Reverse: BA - ΣI, with Labrys monogram in middle. Macedonian helmet within oak wreath.
    Reference: HGC 3 I, 272 (this coin); AMNG 1
    4.13g; 17mm

TIF, Bing, PeteB and 2 others like this.
  13. Ryro

Thanks buddy :) And what a time to ask me that! I had not counted them before, but for you I just did and, not including duplicates, have exactly 100 different types of Macedonian shields currently!
    20211203_132542.jpg

I do have three in the mail on their way to me currently. So your timing really couldn't have been better:D
    Man, I love that Pyrrhos of yours!:singing::cigar:

TIF, Pavlos, DonnaML and 2 others like this.
  14. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

Wow! Just curious. How many shield coins do you know about but don't have yet?

Ryro likes this.
  15. Ryro

I know of dozens and dozens more! It hurts my heart to think about some of them. The ones that got away at auction or were just too much $$$. The Heraclea Sintica, that wasn't so popular in the rankings, is one such coin that I wanted so bad (in good shape that design is beauuuuutiful!) but every time they came up I would get skunked. Until I landed that grizzly. I used to try to keep track of them all, so that I could make sure that I got them. But now I just keep my eyes open and scan every auction that I can.
    There are some AWESOME Celtic imitations tets that I would love to get. As wel, Pannonia has some rad fallen horseman looking types with the MS shield. And then there are all kinds of variations to the common ones. What our Roman collecting friends call flyspecking.

TIF, DonnaML and PeteB like this.
  16. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

Wow! You should keep track of them in a document. That's what I do.

Ryro likes this.
  17. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

That is awesome! Perhaps you will become the biggest Macedonian shield collector in the world :woot:
    Nice trays by the way, I have asked these kind of trays for Christmas, it is much more entertaining to watch and handle the coins than from flips in an album.

Ryro likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted