Ryro's, shields down glasses up, 2020s almost over top 10

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Dec 26, 2020.

?

Top 3

1. #10 Venus Vintrixsalot

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. #9 My Bes friend

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. #8 Vindex's foray into tyrant killing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. #7 Livia the lovely

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. #6 a lion and choice that may be hard on you

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. #5 Pesscinius (not gonna type that last name)

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. #4 Melita murder mystery dinner theater

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  8. #3 Roc us Neptuneus

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  9. #2 The shame of covering hair that good with a Helmet

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  10. #1 Hefty hunk of Hannibal's nightmare

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What? Y'all thought I was a one trick equestrian?
    Granted none of these coins, nor any other, are near the splendor that I posted some time ago with my tippy top 10 Macedonian shield coins (cause I care, I'll give you the no muss no fuss link here https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ryros-top-10-macedonian-shield-coins-of-2020.370866/, you can thank me later), but there were still a few ancients that struck my fancy in 2020.
    Putting them in order is a brutal affair (one I chickened out of in da shield thread). It's like choosing which wife of mine is the sexiest. What, I live in Utah:smuggrin: (God, please don't let my wife read this). But herein I've attempted to choose the coin that checked the most boxes, hit the right chords and that spoke to me (groovy, I think the mushrooms are kicking in).
    Blah blah, get to the coins Ry to the ro!o_O
    Though, several MSCs would have made this list, I like the concept of keeping my specialty, well, special.
    Soooooo without further intercourse:kiss: on to the show:
    The reasoning: "I like em big and when I'm throwing a gig I can't help myself I'm acting like an animal. Now here's my scandal."
    Ah yes, and the patination, lovely chocolate patina, a top three favorite Augusta aaand a big ole booty.:woot:
    Screenshot_20200929-090500_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    Julia Domna
    (193-217 AD). AE Sestertius (27 mm, 14,60 g), Roma (Rome), 193-194 AD.
    Obv. IVLIA DOMNA AVG, draped bust right.
    Rev. VENERI VICTR / S - C, Venus, naked to waist, standing right, holding apple and palm and leaning on column.
    RIC IV, 1, p. 207, 842 (R). Per Curtis Clay new die comb., o400/r578

The reasoning: The fact is we grew up amazed with ancient Egypt for the very same reason that the ancient Greeks and Roman's did. Because even back then Egypt was just soooooo old. At to that an Egyptian God from the early to mid kingdoms, who happens to be known for his massive phallus, he and his wife, Beset, Gods of the household and fertility (no wonder with his appendage)... oh, and the coins a showstopper and hard type to get in this condition.
    IMG_4054(1).JPG
    CILICIA, Mint Uncertain
    400-350 BC. Obol (Silver, 10 mm, 0.58 g, 1 h). Female head facing, turned slightly to left, wearing earrings, necklace and flowing hair (Arethusa?). Rev. Facing head of Bes. Göktürk 44. SNG Levante 233. SNG France 486. Fine metal and attractive on both sides. Very fine.
    Ex: Leu auction 4 Ex: Nomos Obolos 14

The reasoning: I couldn't let @Alegandron be the only one with a sweet coin of the type...I mean, this is the dude who precipitated the expulsion of the Julio Claudian line!:cigar:
    share3540420483436618763.png
    CIVIL WAR, 68-69 CE,
    Den, fouree, Mint in Southern Gaul. VESTA PR QVIRITVM, veiled and draped bust of Vesta; torch to right, r/IO MAX CAPITOLINVS, Jupiter std in Distyle temple, with wreath in pediment and containing Jupiter seated left, holding thunderbolt and sceptre; RIC 128; Frank Robinson’s notes “F or so BUT much patchy core exposure, somewhat off-ctr, lgnds crude & partly off; bust clear; but pretty ugly. Or, as a certain deity would say, "A beautiful coin, folks, believe me, a beautiful coin, I can tell you that." But Very rare.
    Ex: Frank Robinson

The reasoning:
    I purchased two of the three Livia as a personification coins this year and would love to share both. But Salus is the considerably more coveted one. And, even is the centering isn't, her portrait is on point:
    1603051979179620179676817033674-removebg-preview.png
    JULIA AUGUSTA (LIVIA). AUGUSTA,
    14-29 A.D. AE Dupondius (31 mm, 13.13 gms), Rome Mint.
    RIC-Tiberius 47. Bareheaded
    and draped bust of Julia Augusta (Livia) as Salus Augusta right; Reverse: Large
    S.C, inscription around. Light brown with some granularity. Nearly VERY FINE.
    Former: Savoca

The reasoning:
    Where to start, the Greek artistry on this one is through the roof. Im fortunate the coin has the damage it does or I surely wouldn't have been able to afford one with so much going for it. The island is known as producing the most artistically wonderful coins of the ancient world:artist:
    The lion here is so majestic and uniquely done yet desirable. The tongue, the teeth, the main, I'm just still thrilled to have won this. With a wonderful and kinda creepy scene on the reverse as well. Apollo is lanky yet athletic.
    Oh, and a Apollo has a visible erection:cyclops:
    image00054.jpg
    SICILY. Leontini, Circa 450-440 BC. Litra (Silver, 12 mm, 0.83 g, 10 h). ΛΕΟ - Ν Lion’s head with open jaws to right. Rev. Apollo, nude, standing left holding phiale in his right hand and branch in his left; to left, altar; to right, barley grain. Boehringer, Münzgeschichte 50. SNG ANS 264. SNG Fitzwilliam 1054. A few rough spots, otherwise, very fine.
    Ex: Nomos: Obols

The reasoning: I've been bugging @dougsmit for a couple years now on advice of if I should pull the trigger on this Pesscinius or that. The man really was an intelligent and able commander whom very well could have run the empire well. Only problem, he had the poor luck of having to go up against one of the most able strategists Rome ever had. Though, the difference may very well have been the simple fact, like Caesar was to Pompey, of Severus just being too fast!
    I mean, artistry;) Yes, the exquisite, unrivaled artistry:facepalm:
    share4645417843835553862.png
    PESCENNIUS NIGER (A.D. 193-194)
    Denarius, Ag, A.D. 193-194, Antioch mint
    Antioch mint, 2,57 gr, 18 mm
    Av: [IMP] CAES C PESC - NIGER IVSTI A[V], laureate head of Niger right.
    Rv: INVICTO IMPERAT, trophy and arms.
    3.25g
    RIC 34b; C -
    Fine
    Ex: Savoca

The reasoning: MYSTERY. Ancient Egyptian mystery. Like many coin purchases, I blame @TIF I even did a write up on this beauty https://www.cointalk.com/threads/me...e-luv-letter-to-ancients.367426/#post-4939885
    Though, hers was better https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancient-coins-of-melita.342722/
    image001-removebg-preview.png
    Melita - Mummy of Osiris Bronze
    218-175 BC Obv: veiled and diademed female head right, wearing earring. Rev: Mummy of Osiris standing facing, head left, holding flail and sceptre, between winged figures of Isis and Nephtys, each with sun disk on their heads and one wing angled inwards; Punic ‘NN above. 12.78 grams. Fair.
    Provenance
    Property of a Hertfordshire, UK gentleman; with old envelope.
    Literature CNS 2; SG Cop (Vol. 8) 458-459; Mayr 2; Sear 6584.

The reasoning: The unknown beautiful woman on this coin looks like nothing else in Roman republic coinage. I fell for her... HARD when I first started collecting. But thought she was out of my league (I'm talking about the Rocus aaand not my wife).
    Add to that, one if the COOLEST:wideyed: reverse on any coin. I really should have her at #1. But it's Saturday:D
    1224925_1591361402-removebg-preview.png
    Creperius, Rocus
    Denarius. 68 BC. Uncertain mint. (Ffc-657). (Craw-399-1b). (Cal-522). Obv: Bust of the back of the Sea Goddess to the right, C to the right, to the left crab. Rev .: Neptune with trident, in biga pulled by hippocampi to the right, below Q CREPER M (F) / ROCVS. Ag. 3.61 g. Usually struck off center. Very scarce. VF.
    Ex: Tauler & Fau

The reasoning: Rare drachm (seems the type is easier to find in Tetradrachm, though don't let that make you think the tets are the less expensive), that either portrays Alexander the great wearing a soldier's helmet (which I do believe it to be as it looks very much like the helmeted Alexander from the Gordy 3 period) or Seleucus. A portrait if a diadochi would be even more rare still:jawdrop:
    (This one technically could go in my Macedonian shield coins thread, but I thought it better suited here):
    16024484100126288246453856866947-removebg-preview.png
    Seleukos I Nikator, 312-281 BC. Drachm (Silver, 16.5 mm, 4.25 g, 12 h), probably Seleukeia on the Tigris, after circa 305/4 BC . Bust of Alexander the Great to right, as Dionysos, wearing helmet covered with a panther skin and adorned with a bull's horn and ear, and with a panther's skin tied around his shoulders. Rev. ΒΑΣIΛΕΩΣ [ΣΕ]ΛΕΥΚΟΥ Nike standing to right, placing wreath on trophy; between Nike and trophy, monogram. HGC 9, 35. SC 197. Toned. Very fine. Ex Nomos

Aaand my #1 ancient, non MSC, from 2020...
    You can come up with your own reasons as I don't think I need to tell you all the reasons why:
    IMG_4234.JPG
    ROMAN REPUBLIC. Anonymous. AE Aes Grave Triens (92.37 gms), Rome Mint, ca. 225-217 B.C. VERY FINE.
    Cr-35/3a; TV-53. Obverse: Helmeted head of Minerva left; four pellets (mark of value) below; all set upon raised disk; Reverse: Prow right; four pellets (mark of value) below; all set upon raised disk. A pleasing specimen despite its crudeness, with charming green surfaces. A test cut across Minerva's face is noted for completeness.
    Ex Stacks & Bowers

Please post those comments, similar coins you may have or anything that gets us to the end of 2020 any faster!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    TIF, Deacon Ray, Curtisimo and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Honorable mentions:
    My best portrait of the year, goes to the coin my Saturn @bcuda gave me of Trajan Decius:
    Screenshot_20201221-121326_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    My most stunning LRB (and so much more), with not only beauty but a true and some may consider dark mystery from @Curtisimo :
    upload_2020-12-26_16-7-21.png

This Marcus Aurelius would have probably made the list if I didn't give it to my dad for X mas:
    share6658015938215512636.png

These Shield coins got left out just for being shield coins!
    Screenshot_20200604-184750_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png 20191109_112627_CD93453C-32BB-44B5-BFAE-E0D185387149-223-00000010E256BE58.jpg

And this, my Christmas present from my wife, isn't even a coin, but would have made both lists if it were:
    Screenshot_20201128-173755_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201225-181010_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    Bronze Age Gold Domed Boss Mount
    2nd millennium BC

A sheet gold domed mount with attachment loop to the underside. 2.39 grams, 28mm (1"). Fine condition. Ex Timeline auctions
    Another smoking hOt LRB:
    Screenshot_20201105-091138_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

And my first gold(ish) coin:
    Screenshot_20201215-145458_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    TIF, Deacon Ray, Curtisimo and 12 others like this.
  4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Beautiful, diverse selection. I like all of them but I would go for #3
    Funny, the obverse reminds me of this coin, one of my favourite modern coins
    [​IMG]

5. troyjoseph

troyjoseph Member

SCRAP METAL,,,,,,,,,

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

No, but a consummate punster thou art indeed! Fun poll titles. :hilarious:

For me, the face of Bes locked on early.

I initially skimmed by ol’ Pescennius there, until I realized who I was looking at (yeah, impressed) so “click!” Voted.

The third choice was initially difficult but upon a third look-through it became much easier. Definitely the Creperius RR denarius. Definitely. I know you’re in love with that watery sea nymph chick on the obverse, and I can understand that- she’s lovely- but ‘twas the hippocampi on the reverse that cinched it for me. That, and the fact that I have yet to own a serrate denarius myself. Now you’ve put another type on my radar.

Well done.

7. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Looks like you had an awesome year for coins Ryro! The Melita, Seleukos I Nikator and Triens are my favorites.

Deacon Ray and Ryro like this.
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

They're all very cool for historical and numismatic reasons, but my three personal favorites are #'s 3, 6, and 9: the Creperius with the two hippocamps (I want one!), the amazing lion from Sicily, and, of course, the Bes from Cilicia. Every time you post that one, I feel that I have to post my amulet of Bes:

Amulet of Bes.jpg

TIF, Deacon Ray, Curtisimo and 7 others like this.
  9. Ryro

Troy Josey you are a punk troll. Go back to high school and don't let them pick on you so much. Then you might have some courage. Instead of hiding on the internet being a jerk so someone like me doesn't break your nose in real life!

10. Ryro

And then I always feel the need to post my tick tack sized Egyptian bead of his that came with my first scarab:
    20200110_043229_IMG_4479.JPG

11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..@trollpunk..how come you haven't been banned yet is beyond me....but you do get the iggy bin today :D

Ryro likes this.
  12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I voted for 1, 2, and 9. All great coins, you had a fantastic year. I'm super jealous of 1 & 2 though!! :troll:

My only aes grave is this little uncia:
    Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 3.39.01 PM.jpg

13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..pay him no mind Ryro...he's upset he didn't get anything but a lump of coal for Christmas...:rolleyes:

furryfrog02 and Ryro like this.
  14. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

The AE Aes Grave Triens is awsome!

Ryro likes this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Dude. I cannot vote. I will pick them ALL. :D Well done, a GREAT 2020 ! REALLY like all of them... my type of collecting!

Ryro likes this.
  16. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice 2020 selections. Coins #2 and #3 are my favorites.

Ryro likes this.
  17. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

@Ryro, isn't this the guy who'd been claiming that Hugo Chavez switched his nickel?

furryfrog02 and Ryro like this.
  18. Ryro

I appreciate it good buddy. Things will be sailing along positive, intelligent and fun. And then some Jack wagon from moderns with a grudge, whom has already been banned, comes along to bomb an ancients thread. How many times it's happened is incalculable. But I swear I could probably count on both hands the amount of negative "look at me!" "give me attention" posts that I've gotten, right after putting up something I worked hard on from a moderns troll. Nobody appreciates a joke more than me... so long as there is a coin attached. Otherwise that's the definition of trolling.
    I do not suffer fools. Why I boxed and taught boxing before kids came along.
    Though, I confess, arguing with a fool only proves there are two. Is a great way to live.
    I complain about the one or two recurring ancients trolls, but moderns just attracts trolls for various reasons.
    But I do appreciate the friendship and solidarity:)

ominus1 and DonnaML like this.
  19. Ryro

Yes. Thanks Donna. I was just waisting time reading up on his "deal".
    And poor fella is off his rocker. I sure hope he gets some help. He'll get none from me.

DonnaML likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

How do you know he hasn't been banned, or gotten a long timeout, at the very least?

I suppose time will tell... ;)

Resume original scheduled programming.

Let's move on, now. Nothing more to see here, except the coins.

ominus1, Alegandron and Ryro like this.
  21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I always like the SBD approach:

Click on their Name, look at / review their other postings, evaluate, then hit REPORT if they are exhibiting TROLL BEHAVIOR.

No one knows, except the MODERATORS.

If everyone posts responses to the Troll, it just keeps thriving as they are WANTING responses.

NEXT!

TIF, DiomedesofArgos, DonnaML and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted