Ryro's (not his real name) Amazing (hyperbole) Ancient Thanksgiving giveaway (that much is true)!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

This giveaway is for all those who are interested in ancient Egyptian history.
    A few rules though:
    Due to my budgetary restraints this will be only for my North American CT pals (sorry to those CT pals interested but outside of my boundaries).
    Items are not to be sold (though a regifting is exceptable). If items are found to have been sold I reserve the right to burn a flaming pile of dog poop on your porch (or at least I'll mail it to you).

To enter is easy:

1. Please put "entry post". That way folks that want to join in but don't care to win can play along.
    2. Post your favorite pharaoh.
    3. Post your favorite Thanksgiving treat.
    4. Post a picture or two of some ridiculous mash up of Thanksgiving and Egypt.

And, "To the strongest (funniest)" go the spoils!
    I ask that everyone PM me their votes after Thanksgiving and, yes, you can vote for yourself. Of course I retain final say but will more than likely send off the reward to whomever has the most votes.
    The winner will receive this very fun, insightful and picture filled book with an ancient Egyptian coin!
    20181120_174520.jpg CollageMaker Plus_201846181655322.png

Ptolemy VI Philometor
    (180-145 BCE)
    Bronze (Obol). Approx. 176-
    170 BC Salamis.
    VS: Head of Zeus Ammon with
    diadem right.
    RS: Eagle with wings placed
    on the lightning bundle to the
    left; Left in the Lotus Blossom
    field.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

1. Entry post!
    2. Ramses II - he reigned for 67 years, built tons of cool stuff, reportedly had over 100 children.
    3. Tie... Green bean casserole and stuffing covered in gravy.
    aad2bf6ef4f5c711a208ffef74bdc773--crazy-meme-alphabet-soup.jpg
    Haha... happy Thanksgiving all. I'm just happy to be above ground and spend time with my family... and to have such a wonderful hobby.

Josh

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

1. Not an ENTRY POST
    2. Any that I capture... fun to move BEYOND coins by also collecting Scarabae (no they were not always on bodies, but rather worn as a necklace or wrist as good luck, talisman, etc.)
    3. GIZZARDS!
    upload_2018-11-21_10-44-31.png
    4. I feel as cool Thanksgiving items to post:
    upload_2018-11-21_10-37-42.png
    Egypt Scarab RAMESSES II cartouche 19th Dyn 1292-1189 BCE winged uraeus cobra 4.1g 19mm Gustave Mustaki coll acquired fr Egypt in 1948

EGYPT Twenty-First Dynasty 1085-945 BCE Green Faience Ushabti.JPG
    EGYPT Twenty-First Dynasty 1085-945 BCE Green Faience Ushabti

upload_2018-11-21_10-38-37.png
    Egypt 15th Dyn Hyksos 1650-1550 BCE Scarab Sobek kneel R 16x12mm ex DeVries Collctn Flinders Petrie 942-943 Plate XIV

upload_2018-11-21_10-39-56.png
    Egypt 21st Dynasty Scarab 16x11mm Pharoah Neterkheperre 986-967 BCE ex DeVries collection George Fraser pg 41 #329 Plate XII

Egypt Amenhotep III Scarab 1390-1352 BCE cartouch Neb Maat Ra 43.37g 45mm ex Gustave Mustake.JPG
    Egypt Amenhotep III Scarab 1390-1352 BCE cartouch Neb Maat Ra 43.37g 45mm ex Gustave Mustake

upload_2018-11-21_10-41-23.png
    Egypt Scarab Pamai Pamay 830 - 773 BC 8th Pharaoh of the 22nd Dynasty 960 - 766 BC High Priest of Ma'at.

Maybe (disputed)
    Egypt Cleopatra VII Cyprus  AE 11 1.8g obol Paphos mint as Isis dbl-corunc SNG Cop 649.jpg
    Egypt Cleopatra VII Cyprus AE 11 1.8g obol Paphos mint as Isis dbl-corunc SNG Cop 649

Maybe (disputed)
    Egypt Pharaoh Nektanebo II 361-343 BCE Ram Scales Weiser 1 - Butcher 11 uncertain no Syria.jpg
    Egypt Pharaoh Nektanebo II 361-343 BCE Ram Scales Weiser 1 - Butcher 11 uncertain no Syria

Egypt SCARAB Thuthmosis III ca 1504-1450 BCE ex CNG ex Hendin.JPG
    Egypt SCARAB Thuthmosis III ca 1504-1450 BCE ex CNG ex Hendin

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Deacon Ray, chrsmat71, TIF and 6 others like this.
  5. Ryro

Got a couple good ones so far! Still have plenty of time to enter. And you don't have to enter to post something funny...
    th.gif tenor.gif

6. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

1. Not an ENTRY POST
    2. Cleopatra VII - last active ruler of the Ptolemaeic Kingdom, caused all sorts of trouble with Rome, had one child with Julius Caesar and three with Mark Anthony, and I have a coin (Cox 128.?)
    Cleopatra VII, 51-30BC
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus to right
    Rev: Zeus standing head to right, holding ears of corn on single stalk & scepter
    IMG_0170.jpg
    3. pumpkin pie
    IMG_0166.jpg
    4. The less well know "4th Thanksgiving" : tired of the cold northeast, the pilgrims and indians sailed together for Egypt. Grateful to have survived the journey - they enjoyed a feast of goat, fish from the Nile, and poultry (goose, pigeon, duck, heron, crane) seasoned with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, sesame, dill and fennel. A variety of vegetables were eaten including onions, leeks, garlic, beans, lettuce, lentils, cabbages, radishes and turnips with a dessert of dates, figs, plums and melons. While some missed the more traditional pumpkin and cranberry sauce, they were not unhappy as they basked in the sunset views of the pyramids and drank local wine. This coin is thought to have been struck to commemorate the event, depicting the preparation of the thanksgiving duck on the obverse and a participant with a large glass of wine on the reverse:
    Capture.JPG

Deacon Ray, ominus1, TIF and 6 others like this.
  7. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

1-Entry Post

2-Tutankhamun... I visited the travelling museum display at the Royal Ontario Museum while on a school trip when I was very young... this really started my love of ancient cultures.

3-Pumpkin Pie.. my wife's specialty.. add some whipped cream and it is divine!

upload_2018-11-21_20-4-8.png

4-Crazy Egyptian/Thanksgiving fun:

As we know Thanksgiving is a Harvest Festival - I am sure they had their own version of our holiday.. here's how it may have went down....

The act of harvesting the bounty of the Nile Valley is shown in many ancient artworks...

upload_2018-11-21_20-6-5.png

Settle in and watch some football....

upload_2018-11-21_20-33-18.png

upload_2018-11-21_20-26-20.png

Then just grab yourself an Egyptian Turkey(?)

upload_2018-11-21_19-52-47.png

A little chocolate for dessert?

upload_2018-11-21_20-1-13.png

Some wine...

upload_2018-11-21_19-56-39.png

and maybe a little dance (probably after the wine):

upload_2018-11-21_19-58-19.png

Nature may take it course?

upload_2018-11-21_20-2-44.png

Cheers!!!

Attached Files:

8. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Not an entry post.

Just me doing a little original research, on Christmas break from Leeds, 1989. There was a girl involved, too. Oh to be 21 again…

88826906-9A71-41FD-A96F-4023F255C96A.jpeg

9. Clavdivs

I won't ask about the research...lol.
    21 - the perfect age?? Well it seemed so at the time... and not too shabby to think of now (to say the least).. although a lot of us are very content as it ended up..
    I was 20 in 1989... didn't have that amazing view - but I felt the same freedom!

Wonderful pic - thank you!!

Gavin Richardson and Ryro like this.
  10. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Me too. Same age. Im trying to think what I was doing in 1989. Must not have been important, nothing comes to mind!

ominus1, Gavin Richardson and Ryro like this.
  11. Clavdivs

That's right Ken... too many fun times = a blur...
    I do remember these from 1989... ha ha

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  12. Ryro

A quick reminder to any and all whom have an interest in ancient Egypt: this cointest will be excepting entries up until midnight tonight!
    Meanwhile+in+ancient+egypt_1fc645_4206337.jpg

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:joyful::joyful:

ominus1 and Ryro like this.
  14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very noble of you Ryro!..i'm not a new collector, but i need a few Alexandrian coins in my bunch for i dont have any that i can think of.. but that "dont have" list is huge anyway :p..ah '89....that was a good year for me also..i was marketing cable at that time and was with my sons mother, who was expecting him at the time...he was born jan. 6th '90...:)

Alegandron and Ryro like this.
  15. Ryro

And our winner, by the sphinx's nose....is......... @Clavdivs!!!
    Thanks for participating all:)
    @Clavdivs please PM me your address at your convenience and I will mail over a couple slices of Egypt.

Theodosius, TIF, Ajax and 2 others like this.
  16. Clavdivs

Very generous of you Ryro... THANK YOU!!
    I will certainly treasure these items and look forward to learning more about Egypt.

PM sent

Alegandron, Theodosius and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted