Rust inhibitors for use in a coin safe

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Petercoin, May 31, 2022.

1. Petercoin

Petercoin Active Member

Hi to everyone
    I started this thread because I could not one to post a question on the topic.
    If anyone has a link to or information on this subject, I would appreciate your inputs.
    Here are two photo. Vapor corrosion inhibitors.jpg Coinprotect.png

So my question is These Thing's work great to keep rust off a gun's, but how do they affect our coins That are stored in a safe

MIGuy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I'd be careful.

I think what you are looking for are "dessicants." If that's what the products you show above do, then I guess they are okay. Read the fine print.

I use a few of these:
    Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 8.16.47 PM.png

MIGuy likes this.
  4. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I use desiccants, Lighthouse Intercept Shield Corrosion Protection boxes and Littleton Corrosion Protection pages in my coin albums. All available at Wizard Coin Supply and elsewhere.
    The description of the Littleton Corrosion Protection is: Littleton's revolutionary anti-corrosion pages are made from Coroplast CI™, which is scientifically proven to neutralize harmful gases in the air which can cause corrosion - with no harmful agents or chemicals. Fits in any Littleton album. A great way to protect your collection!
    The Intercept Shield boxes aren't very expensive and use the following: The patented Intercept Shield™ Technology uses a totally unique approach to protecting metals from corrosion by acting as a sacrificial corrosion agent. In other words, when corrosive gases come in contact with the Intercept Shield ™ material, they are instantly neutralized. https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/intercept-shield-single-row-white-box.html

5. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I use DampRid in my safe. I buy it at Costco when I get groceries.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Their intention is to prevent rust. You can search them and look for user comments such as on Amazon. You can also download the MSDS sheet from https://pdiimages.praxair.com/PDIB2CImages/DeRUST_SDS_Oct2014.pdf

Seems to work well on steel based objects such as tools, but remember copper and silver are more reactive. Again I recommend copper sheets ( strips) scratched up with emery paper for coin enclosures such as safes. They do not emit any chemicals, and are very reactive if replaced or re-roughed when they start to go towards Lincoln cent brown. (IMO) Jim

Petercoin and imrich like this.
  7. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

If your safe is full of steel cents, a "rust inhibitor" may be effective. For most coins, however, rust (iron oxide) is not an issue.

I would want to know what sort of "vapor" is emitted from the product and its potential effect on copper and silver, if any. Gold is inert.

The primary enemies of a coin collection in storage are moisture (humidity), sulfur (air pollution) and PVC (soft plastic).

Petercoin likes this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The MSDS only indicates 0.1 to 3 % Sodium Nitrate. Sodium Nitrate is used in explosives ( Bombs and fertilizers ) I have never used it on coins, but you can preserve meat with it. Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted