Russian Wire Money

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Matthew Kruse, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

I have three of those. They usually don't come in nice conditions and yours is really attractive for the issue. As you wrote, these coins were short-lived because of the Copper riots and are therefore a must-have for collectors of Russian coins.

+VGO.DVCKS and panzerman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Ah, thank you, @Tejas ! Please understand that no offense was given, nor intended, my apologies. :)

I grew up raising chickens, much of my adult life we raised chickens, and even when I expatted overseas for my company we rented a small farm, and I raised 3 dozen chickens for my kids to enjoy.

We always called the animal a chicken, while the male was a rooster, and the female was a hen.
    Kindest regards,
    Brian

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  4. I_v_a_n

I_v_a_n Well-Known Member

I think this is a novodel (restrike at state mint may be end of XVIII century, may be XIX century).

5. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

No offense was taken. What I would like to know though is why the rooster appears on Dmitry Donskoi's coins.

+VGO.DVCKS, panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

It certainly makes for an attractive and interesting coin! I really like it.

7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Thanks for info! @Dirk:happy: I will make a new data label. There seem to be only "Novodels" availiable of early Russian wire gold coinage. I guess originals are extremely rare.
    John

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Hi John,
    I cannot say whether your coin is a Novodel or whether it was minted in the period, i.e. the late 17th century. This whole issue of Novodels is kind of beyond me. In any case, Novodels are not worthless fakes. They were produced by the state mint and are part of Russian numismatic history. Your coin is in any case highly desirable.

The gold kopecks are not really coins (i.e. not made for the purpose of making payments), but awards for military achievements. Real gold coins were introduced in the middle of the 17th century in the form of Chervonzy or Ugorskiy (and there fractions). These coins are indeed extremely rare and expensive.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3699799
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1233105
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3352374

I shall ask Dmitri Guletzky, who is the author of several books and articles on Russian coins, if he can help with the proper identification of your coin.

Best
    Dirk

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Alegandron and panzerman like this.
  9. panzerman

10. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

This is off topic, but I guess since there are a few people around who are interested in Russian numismatics I show another interesting piece from my collection.
    This is an extremely rare Srebrenik of the Grand Prince Vladimir (Saint Vladimir) of Kiev. Vladimir introduced Christianity to Russia and he is the first prince who produced coins in his own name.
    The obverse shows Vladimir on the throne and the revers shows the Tamga of the early Rurikid princes.

The obverse legend is hardly visible but would read "Vladimir' i stol" = Vladimir on the throne. And the reverse legend reads "a se ego crebro" = and this is his silver.

The coin was minted in Kiev or Chernigow in around AD 1015.

Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 20.35.32.png

11. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@Tejas, your and @John Conduitt's contributions of the earlier stuff are generally ...Hmm, @panzerman, is there some brilliantly German compound adjective for "Blowing My Hair Back"? Anyway, Brilliant.
    But you must know, reading your description of your example of Vladimir I, I kept waiting for you to say something like, '...from [Yep] the Hermitage.' Finding out that, Nope, This is Your Baby made me take a minute to breathe.
    That's Surreal --but in a Good way! It's Great that someone of your very apparent level of erudition has it.
    I had to wiki 'Tamga,' and found this, from an article that has every appearance of being on the high end of the spectrum for the genre: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamga
    The article has a little picture of the "Rurikid trident." Before seeing that, I was wondering if it was bouncing off of late Viking pennies of York (c. earlier-mid-10th century), with ravens as the reverse motif. Oriented the opposite way, you could see the outer prongs of the trident as the wings.
    ...Nope! But a fun little experiment. ...Beyond that, I was, and still am, intrigued by the possibility that tamgas, across Eastern Europe and Central Asia, could have contributed to the eventual evolution of medieval European heraldry, and its contemporaneous parallels in the Middle East. ...Yes, this is a speculative 'rabbit hole.' But if you're with me so far, the two strands of visual rhetoric, originating as they respectively did in traditionally rural, even nomadic, largely equestrian cultures, could be cultural 'cousins' of eachother. Right, with tamgas as a common grandfather.

panzerman likes this.
  12. Grinya

Grinya New Member

I'm a collector of Russian wire coins. My last acquisition is a Kopeck of Fyodor I Ivanovich, 1598, Moscow mint
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

panzerman and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  13. Grinya

Grinya New Member

Sorry, I'm a new on this forum and still need to understand how to correctly add pictures to my posts)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  14. +VGO.DVCKS

@Griny, that is a Solid example. (Please translate: Only Wish I could read it.) And, Welcome to this place!!! You obviously belong here. (...No further comment.)

15. +VGO.DVCKS

Oddly, when I started to reply to your first post, the .jpgs showed up in that window.
    ...If I got how that much of this works (Eventually ...and Sort Of), surely you will!

16. +VGO.DVCKS

17. panzerman

I can give it a go with my Stihl backpak leaf blower/ it makes a good hair blower/ esp. on hot Summer days to cool off. I carry that on my back all day in Fall when blowing leaves:D Even on the job, I always have AV coins on my mind. IMG_1213.JPG

I_v_a_n and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  18. +VGO.DVCKS

Good one, @panzerman!!! Marvels of Technology, Redux!!!

panzerman likes this.
  19. panzerman

Thank God for that invention, imagine having to use a "rake" or "broom":( Also a good idea to wear radio headphones, mutes the high pitch of blower/ same time listen to talk radio. I am probably the only lawn care person on cointalk forum.
    John

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  20. +VGO.DVCKS

("I am probably the only lawn care person on cointalk forum.
    John")
    Johann, I don't doubt it for one minute!

panzerman likes this.
  21. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My only Russian coin in my entire coin collection.

ivan.jpg
    Ivan “The Terrible” (1533 - 1584)
    AR Kopeck
    O: Tsar on horseback advancing right, thrusting spear downward.
    R: Legend in Cyrillic.
    Pskov mint
    18mm
    .69g

panzerman, +VGO.DVCKS and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted