Russian coin, fake or real?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Sardar, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Sardar

Sardar Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Seems like he has several feedbacks acusing him of selling fakes. Beware.

Sardar likes this.
  4. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert in counterfeit detection by any means but all three of those look fake to me. I can't tell you exactly why, they just do, as if they were made in someone's garage in China and sold on Alibaba...

As Kentucky just mentioned, the feedback should be another red flag. The seller's score alone (96%) is so low that I didn't even read into reason for the bad feedbacks.

Sardar likes this.
  5. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Very low quality fakes, absolutely no doubt about it.

Sardar likes this.
  6. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

All these coins are fakes. Sorry.

Sardar and spirityoda like this.
  7. Sardar

Sardar Member

thanks for big help. Are there any trustful online seller for Russian coins and medals? secondly are there any online resource for Russian coins prices guide?

8. Taxidermist

There are quite a few on eBay. Just check everything needed to be checked before bidding.

Yes, there are many, here is one of the most used and trusted: http://www.m-dv.ru/catalog/

Also, eBay's "Sold listings" option in search results is a great indicator for prices.

Sardar likes this.
  9. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

If you are looking into Imperial Russian coinage, Uzdenikov's 2nd edition catalog is quite decent as it is in both Russian and English. You learn a lot from it and it gives you a good understanding. Unfortunately Russian coins are no longer a bargain and you should never be under the impression that you can get a crown size coin for less than 100 dollars. If so, either it's a terribly worn out example or an ignorant seller or most likely a counterfeit.

Sardar likes this.
  10. Sardar

Sardar Member

bolshoe sposiba za vnimaniye. thank you very much my good friend:happy:

11. Sardar

Sardar Member

thank you so much for help. I am beginner to coin collecting and should be more careful and also study more and more.I am Iranian and focusing on US,Russian and Iranian old and new coins like as Sassanian, Parthia and so on.Anyway it was a big loss to buy these Russian fake coins, hope this be the last loss for me.But I am so happy that have such great good friend like as you.Thanks a lot.

12. Taxidermist

I`d disagree. There are plenty of bargains on eBay if you know what you`re doing. I recently managed to win numerous auctions for crown size silver in high XF from reputable coin sellers for way under $100. But yes, there is a huge amount of counterfeits out there, luckily most of them are hideous and easy to spot.

Sardar likes this.
  13. monetarium

monetarium Member

Most definitely fakes and bad ones! Sorry!

Sardar likes this.
  14. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The ignorant sellers are my favorite :)

15. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I probably did over generalized it a bit too much. This is more applicable for ruble coins from 1700 to 1810. Some of the later Alexander I coins can be more affordable but in general, the days of getting them for near bullion metal prices are long gone. I remember getting a low grade Pavel I ruble coin and a commemorative 1913 ruble for 10 dollars each - this isn't going to happen these days.

While Nicholas II coins are very affordable, Alexander III isn't. The last time I got one, it was a cast copy which I got put off buying one ever since then. Photo wise, there wasn't anything too obvious about it. The edge gave it away as it had a seam. But even then, the edging was reasonably good as well. Did come from a US seller - was quite furious as the seller tried to deny that it was a copy until I spelt every thing out.

Sardar likes this.
  16. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Now is a great time to buy Russian, prices are about a quarter of what they were at the top in 2008, and in many cases even less than that. Some of the coins have held-up in price better than others, gold 3 Rouble coins for instance have not corrected much. Bust especially among silver issues, many of the more available commemorative coins and higher mintage Nicholas II silver Rouble coins are a fraction of what they were even in the higher grades.

The trick is avoiding fakes, as there are a ton of them out there. Check this one out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1856-1-1-2-...ERIAL-TSAHR-RUSSIA-10-ZLOTY-COIN/201527110425

Sardar likes this.
  17. Sardar

Sardar Member

Hi dear friend, could please inform me about some Russian coins? Which coins are preferred for investment now? Which Russian coins have good and cheap prices at this time and you think get a higher value in the coming years? for avoiding fake coins especially for a newbie in this field like as me, do you offer me to buy just slabbed coins like as NGC certified coins?

18. Taxidermist

Yes, anything older than NII rubles would cost very close to $100, even in VF with nice details. But bargains are around, I managed to get a 1896 25 kop. with minimal wear and some luster for slightly below $50, shipping included. I know its not crown size but on eBay they would start from $75-85 without shipping in this condition. Many older 1840-1870 1/2 ruble types that used to be around $60-70 in XF are now easily under $50.

19. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

There is a reason why I specifically targeted crown size coin / ruble coins. These are the largest source of counterfeits and new collectors often think that they are a bargain, until they find out the reality. At one stage where silver price was hovering at 50usd / oz, common Soviet ruble coins such as 1921 and 1924 rubles were heavily targeted and sold for less than melt value. New collectors thought that they are genuine and a bargain only to get fooled. There's still a few on ebay. We know this too well but if you see an Imperial ruble sold for around 20 - 30 USD - what this does often mean?

The only other more common silver crown coins would be from 1811 to 1825 and then 1840s - 1870s, some years being very very tough.

The smaller denominations of some types have always been more affordable. I personally haven't been looking at poltina and polupoltinnik for a while but can only imagine the prices still remain to be stubbornly high for some of the less common ones. For instance, try completing a simple silver type set of Pavel I coins (no heavy ruble, efimok, polupoltinnik variety) - took me a few years to hunt them down for starters without selling a leg or arm.

I guess as of why Russian coin prices have fallen - there's two main reasons. 1) USD has strengthen against other major currencies 2) Some of the largest buyers from Russia actually felt the pinch of the overall Russian economy and the weakening of the Russian ruble didn't help. Of course this still does not really affect coins that are very popular or scarce to start off with.

Taxidermist likes this.
  20. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

The main reason: we found a huge number of coins with a help of detectors of metall.

Sardar likes this.
  21. Sardar

Sardar Member

I
    Is it lawful to use metal detector for finding coins and selling them in Russia?
    In my country,Iran it is totally against law and this makes many problems for Iranian collectors because in Iran you can find very old and valuable coins of old civilizations by metal detector but easily police can catch you and take you and your coins to court!!!:dead:

Draft saved Draft deleted