Russian bonds and lottery tickets in WWII

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by petronius, May 21, 2012.

1. petronius

petronius Duke

Are not strictly paper money, but their charm lies in striking illustrations, which make them highly sought among collectors of memories of WWII.

The German invasion of the Soviet Union (Operation Barbarossa) begins June 22, 1941 and is immediately overwhelming: the Germans grind thousands of miles of territory and lay siege to the major Soviet cities, Moscow, Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) and Stalingrad (today Volgograd). But the "Mother Russia" is able to react, and in November 1941 takes shape counteroffensive that, at the cost of enormous sacrifices (20 million dead) will bring the Soviets, in spring 1945, to hoist their flag over Reichstag.

Money was raised to finance the "Great Patriotic War" in Soviet Union by selling war bonds and lottery tickets. Subscriptions to the war loans yielded 93 billion rubles, and four lotteries raised another 25 billion rubles.

I have some of them in my collection and I hope you can enjoy them :)

10 rubles bond

10rubli.jpg

50 rubles bond

50rubli.jpg

petronius :cool:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. petronius

petronius Duke

Treasury bonds were issued in denominations of 10, 25, 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1000 rubles, since 1939 and until 1946 (Bonds of Rebuilding) to an annual interest of 4%.

The designs are striking and very partiotic, as illustrated. All denominations of an issue have the same vignettes. They were printed by the Soviet state printer, Gosnak. The paper is watermarked with wavy horizontal lines.

On back, rules and conditions...anyone knows Russian?

100 rubles bond

100rubliblu.jpg 100rubliretro.jpg

petronius :)

4. petronius

petronius Duke

Lotteries were held by military and pseudo-military organizations to raise money for operational and administrative needs. These lotteries began at least in 1930s, so they are difficult to classify all as Great Patriotic War issues, but the military vignettes make them popular and interesting items for collectors.

Lottery ticket 1933

lottrussa2.jpg

Lottery ticket 1936

lottrussa4.jpg

See you tomorrow with more bonds and lottery tickets.

petronius :cool:

5. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Wow, these are quite amazing in their own right. By chance are they expensive to purchase in this condition?

6. petronius

petronius Duke

I'm not very up to date on their price, I have for many years (over 10). I bought almost all from a Russian dealer at Fiera Antiquaria in Arezzo, Tuscany. The price at that time was lire 5,000 - 15,000 each ($ 3 - 10).
    An exception was the 100 rubles bond in blue (post #2) that I purchased at Veronafil, the biggest numismatic fair in Italy, for lire 70,000 ($ 45).

In an old US catalog (World War II Remembered - 1995) the price for bonds, facial value from 10 to 100 rubles, was from $ 15 to $ 80.

petronius :smile

7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The prices have not changed much from what Petronius has described. These are fairly available at modest prices.

Mongolian war bonds from WWII which look similar and were printed by the Russians are scarce.

[​IMG]

8. petronius

petronius Duke

A very nice piece, lettow, I'd never seen its :thumb:

petronius :smile

9. petronius

petronius Duke

I forgot to write the date of bonds: 10 rubles, 1942 - 50 rubles, 1945 - 100 rubles, 1943

Lottery ticket 1937

lottrussa5.jpg

Lottery ticket 1939

lottrussa1.jpg

Lottery ticket 1942

lottrussa3.jpg

10. petronius

petronius Duke

Last, another 100 rubles bond.

It's not in very good condition, and live is even worse than in picture, but precisely for this is my favorite. Think how many hands spent it, what dreams and hopes of victory may have aroused, is a feeling with no price...we can really say that IT FOUGHT THE WAR!

And now, in my collection :too-cool-for:

100 rubles bond 1944

100rublirosso.jpg

11. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

I hope I can run across some of these in the future as they are interesting and have great vignettes! :thumb:

12. CCMint

CCMint Tempus fugit

wow, those are very neat. I love reading about Soviet history and the Eastern front in WWII.

13. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

These are great little pieces of art -- I love the style of this period.

Draft saved Draft deleted