Russia 1888 Medal - Visit to Germany

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, Sep 10, 2018.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Do you read other posts before you reply or do you just like the sound of your own voice DUDE??!!

Christian, who I'm sure is a lot more knowledgeable than you, did some research in trying to help me but admitted that the details were not very clear or conclusive.

I said above that I would gladly hold on to it IF it was RUSSIAN but that the Latin legends lead me to believe that it might not be Russian. All you did was regurgitate what is already on the NGC label without adding anything of any significance value to the thread except for being abrasive and offensive. NGC have got it wrong in the past and I'm sure they will again.

Maybe I am an important enough customer to GC for them to agree to reverse the transaction if it is incorrect or maybe I can afford to pay $1,500 for a medal just for its uniqueness and not lose any sleep over it. What makes you think you know how I feel about the purchase?? When I said there was no 'buyer's remorse' you insist there is. Really!!! And you know my feeling better than I know myself??

So stop behaving like an arrogant, self centered foolish adolescent insulting other people's intelligence and calling them names on this forum. Since you don't have anything useful to add, go bother someone else. Your opinion and views are not appreciated here...….period!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1934 Wreath Crown

Christian thanks so much for your input. I did a bit more research and found the original Schulman catalogue from 1960 :happy:

Based on their description (listed item #3646) I would say German and not Russian

1888 Russia Medal.jpg

All intelligent opinions welcome

Milesofwho likes this.
  4. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Neat! Now I want to see the coin underneath the rouble.

5. 1934 Wreath Crown

Does that mean you think it is Russian:);)

In spite of the 5 Mark value put on it :D

6. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I am referring to the coin in brackets underneath the other coin in brackets on the page. I'd say it's German, but my opinion is uninformed at best.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Great that you found the auction catalog, @1934 Wreath Crown ! :) Well, if that is a 5 Mark (or rather a medal made according to the specifications of such a coin), it should be silver (Ag 900) with a weight of 27.778 grams (fine weight 25 g) and a diameter of 38 mm.

And @Milesofwho apparently refers to item #3649 on that catalog page. Interesting indeed ...

Christian

8. 1934 Wreath Crown

Hi Christian the Schulman listing clearly states Commemorative German Gedenk 5M. I think it is a Prussian/German medal wrongly identified as Russian by NGC. I have yet to see a Russian medal or coin with Latin legend on both sides. Although there are several with mixed legend.

Which is why I’m growing even more certain it is German and not a one-off Russian medal. I will wait for GCs reply and will rely on third party expert opinion before deciding how to proceed with this. Must admit I am disappointed as I really thought this was something very special :(

Ah well......can’t win ‘em all

chrisild likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted