Running Out of Display Space

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Apr 30, 2020.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

For the last few years -- ever since I began collecting them on a more active basis -- I've displayed all my ancient coins in two vertical coin trays on a table in my living room, together with a large display case containing quite a few of my remaining British historical medals, as well as art medals (mostly Art Nouveau and Art Deco) from France and other countries. My desktop computer is to the right of the table, and I like being able to turn my head to the left and see all those coins and medals anytime I like. Something I could never do if they were in slabs, not that I want to get into an argument about slabbing with anyone! To each her own. (Just as much, I enjoy being able to turn my head to the right when I'm at my computer and see most of the antiquities I have, displayed in a number of glass bell jars and vitrines on bookshelves and other surfaces. And being able to look up from my computer and see the 19th century Japanese prints I have on the wall in front of me. What can I say -- I like being surrounded by beautiful objects!)

The two trays together have space for 128 coins (48 in one, which I use for my few larger coins, and 80 in the other). Even though 128 is a truly tiny number compared to most of you, and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that my collection is so small, I never thought I would reach it. But after I got my two new Gallienus zoo coins, showing a doe and a gazelle, the other day (see my post at https://www.cointalk.com/threads/nu...mint-issues-of-gallienus.358895/#post-4422962) and put them in a tray, there was no more room at the inn. All 128 spaces were full. And as you can see from these photos, there's no more room on the table for another vertical tray, without blocking my view of something. Furthermore, given how cluttered with books and objects my apartment is, there's no other surface with enough empty space to put three vertical trays together.

4.28.20 Coin Trays 1 &2 & Large Case (from Left).jpg

4.28.20 Coin Trays 1 & 2 & Large Case (with flash).jpg

4.28.20 Coin Tray 1 (1).jpg

4.28.20 Coin Tray 2 (1).jpg

4.28.20 Large Case 1.jpg

So I had only a few choices: (1) Stop buying new ancient coins and leave my collection as it is forever (not realistic!); (2) For every new coin I buy, take one out of the two trays and put it away somewhere (not an idea I really like); or (3) Figure something else out.

I opted for # 3, and this is my solution right now: add a third coin tray, but place it flat in front of the other two. The flat tray holds all my ancient Greek and Roman Republican coins, and the other two hold all my Roman Empire coins. True, I can't see all my ancient coins simultaneously from my computer as easily as I could before, but all I have to do to look at them closely is get up from my chair and walk over about six feet. Which I think I can manage. Plus, I now have spaces for about 45 more coins! Which, at my present rate of buying, should take me about 1 1/2 - 2 years to fill. After that? I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

4.29.20 3 coin trays & large case (1).jpg
    4.29.20 3 coin trays (1).jpg
    4.29.20 Coin Tray 1 (1).jpg
    4.29.20 Coin Tray 2 (1).jpg
    4.29.20 Coin Tray 3 (1).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

What a nice coin altar! And if you shove that third tray just a leetle bit to the right, you have room for a fourth tray. That’ll keep you off the streets from some years.

4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I don't see the problem, buy a larger house. :D

Cucumbor, octavius, Orfew and 5 others like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow-what a lovely collection & nicely presented. It's great you can do that. It isn't something I would do though, mainly because it's much bigger than yours nor do I have space.

DonnaML likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Reminds me of the excuse to buy a new car was that the ashtray was full... BTW, awesome collection and beautiful presentation.

Clavdivs, DonnaML and Pishpash like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very nice. At some point in the future you will have to cross the rubicon of having to add additional displays but you should be set for now. I keep my coins in cigar boxes, aligned in their plastic flips (I am mostly transitioning to 2x2 paper envelopes these days - because the flips crack and break after a bit, and collect dust).

DonnaML likes this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Great looking display. I have never tried it, simply putting my little beauties in red boxes to spend the next decade or two in the SDB. I do feel kind of bad sometimes. I keep promising and planning on visiting and bringing some home, but am always too busy. That is my retirement plan, visiting old friends in the SDB.

Pellinore, DBDc80 and DonnaML like this.
  9. DonnaML

An excellent thought!

Pellinore likes this.
  10. DonnaML

Unfortunately, I live in a rather average-size (for one person) New York City rental apartment. Even if I'd never spent a penny on coins, I wouldn't be able to afford to rent or buy a larger one!

Pellinore likes this.
  11. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Massive hug!

ominus1 and DonnaML like this.
  12. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice display and nice coins, Donna.

DonnaML likes this.
  13. Kentucky

[​IMG]

:):):):):)

Actually I lived in NYC for 5 years and loved it. Look back on it with nothing but good memories.

Ryro and DonnaML like this.
  14. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

My current option for your own dilemma has been to downsize the number of coins I have and increase the quality of the pieces in the collection. I see a few you could downsize to my house ;)

DonnaML likes this.
  15. DonnaML

I remember that movie! I don't go out much these days, but from what I've seen, things aren't actually much like that here.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Kentucky

More like Blade Runner? :)

DonnaML likes this.
  17. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

I've been engaged in a process of "continuous culling," in which I will comb through my Dansco stock book and agonize over which holed/cleaned/low grade pieces I can bear to part with to make room for the new. I swear, I've grown attached to some of these ugly pieces in a way I thought I never would!

Theodosius and DonnaML like this.
  18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Lovely display! As I’ve been sitting at my desk more staring at a blank wall, I’ve been daydreaming about ways to get some of my coins out of their binders and displayed on the wall. Your post has given me some ideas...

Pellinore and DonnaML like this.
  19. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

How can you stand even that? I can give coins away to beginners, youngsters, relatives, etc. Selling or trading coins is simply gut wrenching for some reason.

masterswimmer, akeady and DonnaML like this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

There is no such thing as Dansco books for Ancients.

21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@DonnaML , don’t forget empty space on the ceilings...

Draft saved Draft deleted