Running out of coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Restitutor, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

Don’t know if anyone else noticed this already but for the first time I can recall, the CNG EA is now open for three weeks instead of the usual two. Which is a bummer for me personally as the auction should normally have closed on Nov 4, my birthday! Was going to spend a little more for the occasion :angelic: Wonder if the supply of coins for sale is starting to dry up and an auction every two weeks isn’t feasible?

There are definitely some really nice coins in the current EA but nothing overall that makes me think “I understand why it’s a 3 week auction now”. Just curious if anyone else has found this interesting :bookworm:

Pellinore likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Come to think of it, I did not receive the usual Email about the
    auction closing. The PR has not been posted yet on the NumisBids
    portal. Most of the time the PR is listed later on the day of the sale.
    The new auction has not been posted on NumisBids as of 9 AM
    today. While I find many coins to be desirable in their sales, most of
    them go for moon money. To me, CNG is the U.S. version of Kunker
    in Germany.

benhur767 likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

From a purely business sense, I would not have my auction close the day after the US election this year when too many potential bidders might be sleeping in or still up watching returns. Auctions rely on many bidders putting full interest in that sale and not thinking about something else.

5. FrizzyAntoine

FrizzyAntoine Well-Known Member

I think @dougsmit is spot on with this one. Auction 115 was showing up on their website as scheduled for the 11th of September for a long time before being pushed back a week, would make sense to do the same here with another fairly sensitive/important day.

Caesar_Augustus and Restitutor like this.
  6. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

Great point! This makes more sense than a coin shortage. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted