Rulers who died violent deaths

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Mar 5, 2021.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Too bad, so sad for Edward II....he was given a real "looker" as his wife The one on the right;)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

Mithradates VI King of Pontus, "Royal pain in the butt" for the Roman Republicans....
    However,in 63 BC, with everything going against him, he commited suicide by taking poisin....may have been a better end then the alternative. IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0697.JPG

nicholasz219, Andres2, Limes and 13 others like this.
  4. panzerman

Severus Alexander/ two theories exist. First one Julia Mamaea his Mother plotted his death. Second theory/ on the "Norther Front", as he and his army faced off vs the German forces/ he decided to bribe them, instead of attacking them.
    His commanders told him as much in a heated agrument. Meantime a German servant entered and instigated the murder of the Emperor. Sounds a bit far fetched, I am sure battle hardened Roman soldiers would not take advice from an "enemy slave"! Nevertheless, he and his Mom ended up sliced and diced by Roman swords. IMG_0687.JPG IMG_0688.JPG

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Herennius Etruscus. Killed by an arrow in the opening stages of the battle against the Goths at Albrittus, whereupon his father Trajan Decius declaimed "The loss of one soldier is of little significance to the Republic."

Neither Decius' body or Etruscus' were ever found. On the OP question, it is more common to have died a violent death than to pass away of natural causes. That happy state seemed to end with the death of Commodus.

Herennius Etruscus (250-251 A.D.)

AR Antoninianus, 23mm 3.0 grams

Obverse: Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C, Bare-headed and draped bust right

Reverse: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, Herennius standing left, holding rod and spear.

Translation: "Prince of the Youth"

Reference: RIC 147c, RSC 26. Sear 9523

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Edward II, shall we say, made his own bed and had to lie in it. At his coronation, he dressed his first "good friend," Piers Gaveston, in purple robes and pearls and had him upstage the queen, Isabella, who had been a French princess, much to her embarrassment. He lavished lands on Gaveston that had previously been granted to more important people.

Gaveston was an accomplished knight. He made the mistake of belittling his opponents in tournaments when he defeated them. He gave demeaning nicknames to a number of the lords such as “the black dog of Arden,” “whoreson” and “burst belly.” Finally, the lords had had enough. They abducted Gaveston, ran sword through his belly and beheaded him.

Years later, the queen went back to France, took a lover and set out to bring Edward II down. She penned this quote which summed up her frustration:

“I feel that marriage is a joining of a man and a woman holding fast to the practice of a life together. (But) someone as come between my husband and myself and is trying break the bond; I declare that I will not return until this intruder is removed, but discarding my marriage garment, shall put the robes of widowhood and mourning until I am avenged of this Pharisee.”

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  7. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Another name for Eupator was "the triumph giver".What an epitaph!

8. panzerman

Burgundy/ Brabant
    AV Florin d'or au Bourgoyne ND Antwerpen Mint
    Charles the Rash 1467-77
    He was the son of Philip the Good. When he became Duke in 1467 he immediately made enemies with his neighbours. His Waterloo came in January 1477. He and his army where annihilated at the Battle of nancy by a combined force of Swiss Infantry and Duke Rene's Lorraine Knights. Charles ended up with his head split in two from a enemy "Poleaxe" also had numerous stab/ slash wounds
    As we say in German he died a "Heldentodt"/ died like a warrior/ unlike Edward II of England. a60011f8c7b35738fd37fff87a45941e (1).jpg

Attached Files:

ominus1, Limes, Ryro and 9 others like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I understand it was a difficult suicide. For a lifetime, he took various poison potions to build a resistance against being poisoned.

panzerman and ominus1 like this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

.."Mithradates..he died old..."...from what i can gather, he had to get someone to kill him as he had built up a tolerance for poisons and could not commit suicide..

ah, correctomindo Brian..:)

panzerman likes this.
  11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is Severus' mom, Julia Mamaea. The history Severus women, who were "the power behind the throne," were quite interesting.

Julia Mamaea Dennar O.jpg Julia Mamaea Dennar R.jpg

Denarius of Julia Mamaea, Obverse: JULIA MAMAEA AVG “Julia Mamaea Augusta” Reverse: FECVND AVGVSTAE “Fecundity of the empress - i.e. fertility of the empress” Fecunditas was the Roman goddess of fertility. She was often shown with a cornucopia, here extending her hand to a child. Sear 8207

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  12. kountryken

kountryken Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, and naming the emperor. I had no clue who @ambr0zie was referring to? I like looking at ancients, but I don't know enough about them to be classed "ignorant", lol.

Zebucatt and panzerman like this.
  13. panzerman

Nicephorus I 802-11
    This Emperor ended with his skull being turned into a "drinking cup". Now for the rest of the story.
    He invaded Bulgaria in 811/ defeated the armies of the Bulgar Khan Krum (sounds a lot like (Conan the Barbarian) twice. He then stormed into Pliska/ Bulgar capital city/ looted/ raped/ killed the inhabitants. Not finished, he had all the little kids ground up. Then/ laden with gold/loot the Byzantine Army headed back to Constantinople. When Krum returned to Pliska and saw the carnage, he pursued the Byzantine and ambushed them in a mountain pass. Nicephorus was taken to Pliska and had a date with Krum's executioners axe. 1fbfda10d10a8eb44dde1c50e76cf712.jpg

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I believe Krum's drinking cup was gold inlaid into the skull. Whether Krum had molten gold poured down Nicephorus' throat is unknown. This was another Byzantine-era practice, worse than the usual blinding with a hot iron poker and having one's nose cut off before being sent off to a monastery.

kountryken and panzerman like this.
  15. panzerman

Leontius II 695-98
    He was chosen to replace Justinian II by the Army in 695. Poor Justinian ended up getting his nose slit/ then exiled t Cherson. Leontius proved incapable of dealing with Arab raids into Byzantine territory. By 698, he was deposed by Tiberius III Aspimar. Again, the nose job, and exile to a monastery followed. By 705, Tiberius suffered a worse fate when, Justinian II reclaimed the job. His vengence did not end with Tiberius, Leontius was dragged and paraded/ then had a date with a burly guy with a mean looking axe:(:inpain::dead: IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1070.JPG

Bing, Roman Collector, tibor and 3 others like this.
  16. Zebucatt

Zebucatt Well-Known Member

Add a couple of executions for good measure. They were not to pleasant back then.

Severus II who's army decided to change sides at the last min being faithful to their beloved old emperor Maximian when they heard his plea. Or it could have been the quite generous bribe he gave the soldiers.
    AE 3, 1/4 follis, 305-06AD, (left) 22mm, 1.8g, (right) 18mm, 1.6g, Siscia
    L.Obv: SEVERVS NOB C
    R.Obv: FL.VAL.SEVERVS.NOB.C
    Laurl., head right
    Rev: GENIO POPVLI ROMANI
    Genius, wearing modius, standing left, holding Pantera and cornucopia. SIS in ex.
    Ref: RIC 171a,b

PicsArt_03-06-05.54.47.jpg PicsArt_03-06-05.53.40.jpg

And also next to Delmatius who is believed to have purposely been given Constantinople by Constantine the great in hopes that the capital would not become a focus for dispute among his 3 sons. Well, that didn't work out so well for him. After Constantine's death in 337 he was put to death with his brother Hanniballianus (sorry I have no example yet) promptly after the 110 day of the interregnum by the 3 sons.
    I have often thought what was he thinking in those 110 days. He had to know what was coming. I guess in his position what could he have done.

AE4, 1/2 Nimmbus, 336-37AD, 16.5mm, 1.9g, Thessalonica 4th Officina
    Obv: FL DELMATIVS NOB C
    Laurl., draped and cuir. bust right
    Rev: GLORIA EXERCITIS
    soldiers standing either side of standard; each holding spear and resting a hand on shield. SMTSdelta in ex.
    Ref: RIC 228 Tess,

PicsArt_03-06-05.52.40.jpg PicsArt_03-06-05.51.05.jpg

17. panzerman

Charles IX 1560-74

Charles became King upon the death of Francois II. Still a child, his Mom, Catharina di Medici ruled as his Regent. During this time in France, the Catholics were fighting a religious war vs the Huguenots (Protestants) After the Massarce of Vassy in 1562/ war broke between the two sides. Charles in a peace offer, would force his sister Magaurite de Valois to marry Henry of Navarre (a Huguenot Prince) Furthermore all prominent Huguenot leaders where allowed to attend the Royal Wedding. Now was the perfect time to kill two birds with one stone.Seeing how this wedding had angered the Catholic majority, plus having all the enemy heads in Paris.Calls went out to hunt down anyone of the Huguenot religion. This led to the St. Bartholomews Day Massacre, thousands where killed. Charles ended up dying from a myterious ailment, he died in 1574. Later, it was proven he was poisoned by a book, whose pages where coated with poison. Catharina di Medici had in fact ordered her "expert assassin" to do it, but the book was intended for Henry of Navarre/ somehow Charles got a hold of it and paid the price.
    My coin is from 1567 Saint-Lo Mint 1362595l.jpg 1362595l.jpg 1362595l.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted