Ruined Anicents by Fake Toning

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Deacon Ray and Marsyas Mike like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That toning looks like gasoline on water...

Deacon Ray, Svarog, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  4. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Wow, those are pretty bad!

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Is that what we're calling it now, "aggressively toned"? :)

6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Looks like there are people determined to bring all the bad habits of US coin collecting to ancient coins. First it was slabs and the commodity/investment mindset that comes with them, now it's artificial rainbow toning. What's next, CAC stickers on ancient slabbed coins?

I hope if anyone buys those coins they'll soak them in lemon juice and strip that fake toning off of those unfortunate coins.

Curtisimo, stevex6 and Magnus Maximus like this.
  7. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Shhh
    Let's not give the buggers any ideas!

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Talk about over-hyped selling techniques... And awful overgrading...:hungover:

Monster-toned ancients should not exist!

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Hmm, Although I didn't check out every coin listed, they seem to be given a provenance of a Dr. Eucharius Rosslin 1470-1526.....and some I assume would have 'naturally' achieved that toning if stored for all those years in the past not to mention wherever they have been since then????

Are they all recent/modern artificially aggressive additions???

And isn't it possible the gold toning may even be a 'electum' effect...or simply small amounts of melted gold residue remaining in the 'melting pots' combining with the original silver when the flans were created...or am I completely off-base again LOL

I must confess overhyped selling techniques are getting old.....no matter what they are.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Curtisimo and Alegandron like this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh, the humanity........how could it have happened? Someone looking to cash in on a trend? I didn't think you ancient guys had toned coins..........throw the bollick over the side.

rzage, Jwt708 and Stevearino like this.
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I dont see that kind of toning being natural, I dont care how many hundreds of years.

I admit to hanging on the PCGS boards alot, one thing I read alot over the years in the u.s. forum is the toning threads and seeing what the fake toning looks like. Those PCGS guys know alot about toning!

These ancients are fake toned and match many I have seen on the PCGS boards.

Im sure a search here will yield fake tones on the u.s. forum here and you get a idea of what they look like over natural.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  12. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

That providence has got to be fake. It would be one of the oldest provenances ever recorded for a coin, if not the oldest.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

$130,000.00 REALLY???

Pellinore likes this.
  14. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Mikey Zee likes this.
  15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Is the JC aureus a smoothed reincarnation of NAC 83 406? Which sold for $320,000 + in 2015? If so, what gives offering it at $130k now?

Here are the two coins next to each other for comparison. I know the flans look different, but I think the eBay pic has a poorly-painted background. I think they're the same coin, except the right obverse field, the nose of the bust, and the cheek have been smoothed on the eBay version...

jc aur 2.jpg jz aur 1.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  16. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I think you are 100% correct. The flan chips and spacing seem absolutely identical except the probable smoothing....

Why indeed the vast price difference???

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

The right field of the obverse on the seller pic is smoothed too, no hits like the top one.

John Anthony likes this.
  18. John Anthony

You would think that if a seller was asking $130,000 for a coin, they would have something to say about the provenance.

Paul M. likes this.
  19. John Anthony

That's actually a pretty good price for the coin, if it's the one I'm thinking it is. But I would start by offering $100,000, just on principle. :)

Paul M. likes this.
  20. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Wow, I almost googled it just for a quick read. I didn't look at the description but isn't that a relatively small coin?

21. John Anthony

Yes, and only ten specimens known. Scroll down the auction listing to read the history - it's a pretty good write-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.