Rubber bands

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tater, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I just wanted to post this to show some of the unbelievers that rubber bands do damage coins. I had a stack of Canadian 1 oz' that I was thinking about selling. I stacked them and put a rubber band around them an put them back for about two months. When I pulled them out, more moved them to get to some piece dollars to send to ngc this is what I found. Good lesson I always placed a rubber band around my flips when I send to ngc not now, don't know what to do. The flip was not damaged I checked.

image.jpg

Stevearino, silentnviolent and rzage like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

At least it was only a bullion coin.

The reason this happened is because vulcanized rubber is infused with sulfur. It might be ok for a brief trip through the mail to the grading company, but I wouldn't take the chance. Anybody else have tips on packing coins to be sent off for grading?

4. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Yeah I know, but never thought it would happen. Just happy it didn't ruin a good coin. Would like to hear of some good substitutes for shipping.

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Amazing as I would never have believed it got through the mylar window of the 2X2 . Thanks for the heads up .

6. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

I don't think this on was in a 2x2. And it looks like someone dipped it for a long time, making it too shiny, but, the dip did not correct the rubber damage. peaceRubber_0001.jpg

7. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

so what about the thought of taking the stack of flips when you submit them to be graded and wrapping them with like shrink wrap? You think the people on the other end would hate me.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well plastic, even mylar, is air permeable. But I suspect it has more to do with direct contact with the coin being concentrated along a fixed line than it has to do with the object causing the contact (the rubber band).

Easy way to find out though. Take a coin in a 2x2 or flip, tie a piece of string or thread around it, let it sit for a month or two. I'm betting the same line will be present.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Unless its the lighting, I do not see how a rubber band would produce a negative effect . It looks more like a tape problem.

10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Stevearino likes this.
  11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

12. rzage

Just for my curiosity , I have a couple peace dollars that I could try it on . lol

13. GDJMSP

Just as easily tested on pocket change Rusty.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I've seen rubberband toning many times in my life.....keep them away from coins!

Stevearino and Kentucky like this.
  15. rzage

They're just common date XF/AU , so no loss . Plus I like to see how they react with silver .

16. GDJMSP

Have at it and post pics !

17. StackerBrad

StackerBrad New Member

Here are some for you guys. Just found this out the hard way. :depressed:

upload_2017-4-14_3-25-45.png upload_2017-4-14_3-26-32.png upload_2017-4-14_3-27-15.png

Stevearino likes this.
  18. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Eegads, I use rubber bands all the time for keeping bundles of types of coins together. Though looking at your 2x2 and the crumpled edges maybe it was far too tight. I keep my rubber bands fairly lose and rotate them to get all sides.

Now I'm going to go check everything.

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I feel this look is caused by the contact with the holder. The rubber band just caused the contact.

20. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

On a similar topic, I remember watching a video during the 2008-2011 silver run up which recommended that stackers place their silver rounds in PVC pipes (I think maybe 2" but don't remember) and then make them look as though they are part of the plumbing.
    Apparently they fit perfectly. I did not do it but I now have to wonder about the condition of the silver for any who did.

fish4uinmd and Stevearino like this.
  21. StackerBrad

StackerBrad New Member

I have others in rubber bands that are perfectly fine. I would not risk it. From now on it will be air tights and/or tubes

Draft saved Draft deleted