rrd's top 10 of 2021, or pandemic buying

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Dec 18, 2021.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I found a few interesting coins in 2021. The ten best and order of the best could change, but only after #1 & #2. Season's greetings to you and your family.
    I also posted them on my blog: Denarius (rrdenarius.blogspot.com)

#10 - APULIA, LUCERIA, AE Aes Grave semuncia, 268-250 BC; Obv: Crescent, Rev: Thyrse adorned with a garland.19.20 grams. I like this coin because it has an equivalent Nummis (or As in 10 ounce system of Luceria) of 384 grams which is well a Roman pound of 327 grams. Heavy indicates an early series.
    Semuncia Crescent Thyrsus Elsen 6.4.2021 a.jpg
    #9 - Roman Republican struck Uncia, Obv: Radiate and draped bust of Sol facing slightly right; pellet (mark of value) to left. Rev: Pellet (mark of value) and two stars within crescent, in ex ROMA; Crawford 39/4; 12.75 grams, 23 mm
    sol moon.jpg
    #8 - Double Struck Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt, AE Oktobol, Hockey Puck; Ptolemy III Euergetes; Obv: Laureate head of Zeus Ammon right, border dots. Rev: Eagle with open wings standing left on thunderbolt, looking right; E between legs. ΠTOΛEMAI[OY] BAΣIΛ[EΩΣ]; 80.8 grams; 46 mm dia X 7.5 mm thick
    ptol octo.jpg

#7 - Roman / Byzantine Four Ounce Commercial Scale Weight; 100 - 500 AD; Obverse – 4 dots; the rest of the surface is hard to see. If the scale weight is 4 uncia it would have Гo Δ. Reverse – Cross? +? The mark on the weight, +, is similar to the mark on a Semis of C. Curiatius f. Trigeminus, see below. Dating depends on how you read the reverse. 105.7 grams.
    4 ounce 4 dot.jpg

#7.a - I found this weight on H Berk online while searching for other 4 ounce scale weights (there are 60 on Pondera). I had to have it.... so it is #7.a. Byzantine Round Commercial Bronze Weight; 4-Ounces (Triens) or 24-Nomismata / Solidii; 6th-7th cent. AD. I wish there was a way to convert Bф into 4 or 24.
    DSCN5810.JPG

#6 - Olbia AE 68 Gorgoneion Eagle - The coin below covers 3 and a half fingers on my hand. It is big. CNG notes the patina was removed. That is not obvious at first glance, but is glaring when I take pics. I think Medusa sticking out her tongue is neat. The coin was sold twice by CNG.
    olbia.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Awesome gorgon. Too bad patina was removed. Almost looks electrolyzed. I wonder what it looked like before

4. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice selection of ancient artifacts, @rrdenarius.

I like your bronze scale weights. As for coins, the Gorgon portrait is great! Thanks for sharing.

5. rrdenarius

#5 - Roman Republic, Aes Grave, Apollo/Apollo Series, Cast Triens, Rome, 270 BC; Obverse - Head of horse r.; below, °°°°; Reverse - Same type l; 114 grams, 50 mm, 12 H, Crawford 18/3. I wish the 4 dots were more prominent. Otherwise the coin is excellent.
    Cast Triens Head of Horse Cr18.3 BFA 12.14.20 a.jpg
    #4 - 27 Nomismata (4.5 uncia) Byzantine bronze coin weight, octagonal, disc-shaped; Obv: N° KZ, decorated with two double circular lines, above the N is a small zero. Nomistmata weights place the zero above or to the right of N. 116.9 grams, 49.3 X 7.3 mm. The denomination is rare. There are no examples in Pondera. The weight is similar to a 17 N weight purchased in the same lot.
    DSCN5738.JPG
    DSCN5723.JPG

#3 - Cast AE Nummus (As), Apulia, Luceria, 225-217 BC; Obv - Head Apollo left, hair tied with ribbon; below chin – mark of value: I; Rv. Rooster standing left. Most books list 3 variations on this coin. Two types have letters around the rooster: L.SEXTI.SEP.BABI or M.LAVINIO. A third type, this coin, has no letters; 214.5 grams, 66 X 14.6 mm
    Nummis.jpg

#2 - II VNCIA, ૪ B bronze barrell weight - commercial scale weight, late Roman or early Byzantine, Sextans or two VNCIA; on the top, the value is shown in Greek script, ૪ B. The Latin II VNCIA is extremely unusual and shown on the side; 24.6 mm max dia X 20.5 mm min dia X 14.5 mm tall; 53.23 grams (319.4 eq As)
    2 VNCIA with gamma B a.jpg
    2 VNCIA with gamma B.jpg

thanks for looking - best wishes for the season and a happy & healthy new year
    EPSON035.JPG

6. rrdenarius

oops, here is
    #1 - Aes Grave Dupondius 230-220 BC, Semi-Libral standard. Volaterrae (Etruria) mint. Obv - Janiform head of Culsans, wearing pointed petasus; Rev - Club; I I (mark of value) across field; around Etruscan retrograde legend - FEΛA-OΔI (velaθri); 266 grams, 73 mm
    Dupondius.Etruria.Volaterrae.TV86.BFA.10.22.2021.jpg in truck.jpg
    volt.png

panzerman, galba68, Scipio and 23 others like this.
  7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

WOW. What a great range of coins and weights, lucky you remembered your oops or should I say beast of a coin, can you imagine carrying that around in your pocket.

rrdenarius likes this.
  8. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

FUn collection @rrdenarius - hard to see anything else after #1, but 5 & 9 also favorites for me! I enjoyed browsing yor blog too. Congrats and best wishes for 2022.

rrdenarius likes this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

It's just hard to mistake your list for any other, and I mean that in a good way. :) The monster Olbia is a great example of the type, and my favorite on your list, alongside the Aes Grave dupondius.

rrdenarius likes this.
  10. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow, a very well curated top ten. My favorite is that incredible barrel weight. That is superb and reminds me of the D & D multi-sided dice I used many years ago .

rrdenarius likes this.
  11. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

rrden., I like the huge Gorgonian bronze, & the Byzantine coin weights :happy:.

rrdenarius likes this.
  12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

That Gorgon is incredible !
    And your #2 bronze barrel weight is a beautiful object in itself, love it

Q

rrdenarius likes this.
  13. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Very interesting group!...
    Love the #1 Grave Wow!...Also sweet little weights....Congrats.

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a weighty collection! [groan :D]

I love that you're focused on weights but because I don't have the knowledge to say much about them, I'll pick favorites from the other types... but congrats on adding so many to one of you main areas of focus!

The aes grave-- super!
    Apulia nummus with rooster-- because rooster :D
    The Olbia-- because I want one.

Congrats on the good year.

rrdenarius likes this.
  15. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@rrdenarius, It looks like you had a productive year. I'm admiring the Etrurian Aes Grave dupondius. I also like the double horse head Roman Triens Aes Grave. These large bronzes are really impressive. I've yet to have one in my collection but perhaps someday soon?

rrdenarius likes this.
  16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I always learn from seeing fantastic posts like yours. Always nice to see what my fellow CT members collect. Definately interesting material. Merry Christmas....hope Santa will bring you some more on the 25th:)
    John

rrdenarius likes this.
  17. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Your top 10 outweighed most of our lists combined! Congratulations on a hefty year, making postal workers go the extra mile :)

abc123, rrdenarius and panzerman like this.
  18. rrdenarius

Interesting you should mention our postal workers. I have had fun on many levels with mail this year. My USPS guy always frowns and says: "you know you could let me sign for these and I'd leave them" when I have a sign for item. UPS, Fedex and costoms folks have added a new layer in the last year.
    I enjoy holding the big guys.
    20210102_091044.jpg

Curtisimo, Ryro, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  19. singig

singig Well-Known Member

I really like the large Olbia Gorgoneion coin , impressive , the second preferred coin is #9 Uncia. Congrats !!

20. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great stuff…I LOVE that giant gorgon from Olbia! These are way outside my usual collecting areas, but I really enjoyed this list, great selections.

21. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Wonderful list!
    Here's my Olbian beasty:
    Screenshot_20210331-160424_PicCollage.jpg
    (They sure are fun to hold)
    And you owe your mail carrier a back brace!
    I have been trying O so hard to get more early Italian cast whompers, but keep getting smoked like a Christmas ham.
    I did come across some lovely Seleukid weights in today's Leu that made me think about you.
    2401356_1638193626.l.jpg
    Leading up to the bidding it was at an INSANELY cheap 120€. I foolishly thought I'd snag it up with a last second 200... somebody wanted it more and paid 380. IMO, still a pretty good deal for a Leu auction.

Draft saved Draft deleted