rrdenarius top 10 for 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Dec 19, 2018.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I collect money used by Romans during their republic from 1000 to 30 BC. Historians would differ on the start and end dates, but they are good time boundaries for my collection. Most of what I have is listed in either Roman Republican Coinage by Crawford or Italian Cast Coinage by Vecchi. Due to cost I have avoided struck coins issued by cities outside of Rome (Greek colonial).

My collection includes several sub groups:
    · Cast bronze that could have been used to pay soldiers at Veii about a century before Rome started producing coins.
    · Scales, scale weights and coins showing scales.
    · Coins with plumb bobs or levels
    · Coins with astragalous (knuckle bones)

10. Alexander the Great tetradrachm – the vendor did not give details on the coin. I found a similar coin online and the description is below the pics. If someone can identify the coin, please let me know.
    DSCN2304.JPG
    DSCN2306.JPG
    Ancients Greek

MACEDONIAN KINGDOM. Alexander III the Great (336-323 BC). AR tetradrachm (15.98 gm). Late posthumous issue of Perga, ?BC.
    Obv - Head of Heracles right, wearing lion-skin headdress, paws tied before neck
    Rev - AΛEΞANΔPOY, Zeus seated left on backless throne, right leg drawn back, feet on ground line, eagle in right hand, scepter in left; KO in left field, Seleucid anchor countermark in rectangle in outer right field. Price ?

9. Aes Grave Triens
    DSCN2277.JPG
    DSCN2279.JPG
    Aes Grave Triens, Umbria, Tuder. 220-200 BC
    Obv – hand in caestus
    Rev – two clubs; between clubs, TVTDE; four dots (2 to right and 2 to left of clubs)
    32 grams; 30 mm
    T.V. 165; HN Italia 47.
    Buon BB. Patina verde. R.

8. Obol with astralagoi
    girl ast.jpg
    Roman_statue_of_girl_playing_astragaloi wiki.jpg

Cilicia, TARSOS (389-375 a.C.) AR Obol (9,4 mm. - 0.63 gr.). D.\: Female kneeling left, tossing astralagoi. R.\: Male head right. SNG France 239. BB+. R.

7. Roman Republic, Sextans, Semilibral series, 217-215 BC, Ae. The first coined sextans.
    DSCN2289.JPG
    DSCN2290.JPG
    Obv - Head of Mercury, right, above two dots
    Rev - Prow of ship, right; above ROMA, with archaic A; In Ex - two dots
    31.2 grams; 31.1 mm; BB +
    Dark Green Patina.
    Cr. 38/5

Below are two later asses and the early sextans.
    DSCN2326.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rrdenarius

6. This year I bought three BC Iberian coins. After the third coin, I decided I need a new book(s). At least one was mis-attributed. This is the best of the three.
    DSCN2296.JPG
    DSCN2299.JPG
    Iberia, Ikalesken; Mid 2nd century BC AR denarius
    Obv - Male head right
    Rev - Horseman, holding shield, helmet and cloak (chlamys); riding left, second horse beside; in ex - Iberian legend IKALESKEN. The cloak and helmet of the rider are similar to the Dioscurii on RR coins. There are three small dots above the rider's helmet.
    19.4 mm, 3.52 g, 4 h
    CNH 5; SNG BM Spain 1168-69; SNG Cop 245.

5. Brutium Punic 3/8th EL Shekel; 216 – 211 BC;
    DSCN2300.JPG
    DSCN2303.JPG
    Obv - Janiform female heads, wearing wreaths of grain
    Rev - Zeus, holding thunderbolt in right hand, scepter in left, standing in quadriga right, driven by Nike, who holds reins.
    2.5 g; 14.7 X 15.9 mm; 12 h
    F, light gray / yellow tone, well worn or poorly struck. Rare.
    HN Italy 2013
    Jenkins & Lewis, Carthaginian Gold and Electrum Coins, Group XVI, numbers 487 - 493 (Capua)

4. Cast Biunx
    DSCN2272.JPG
    DSCN2273.JPG
    Greek Italy. Northern Apulia, Luceria. AE Cast Biunx, c. 225-217 BC.
    Obv - Scallop shell on a rised disk.
    Rev - Astragalos; to right, two pellets (mark of value); all on a raised disk.
    HN Italy 673. Haeb. pl. 71,1/2. Vecchi ICC 341. T.V. 277.
    75.6 grams; 38.0 mm
    Good VF/About EF.
    This is an early, heavy cast coin. Luceria used 10 parts to the As. This coin has an equivalent As weight of 378 grams!
    DSCN2267.JPG
    A few old shells and knuckle bones.

3. L. Roscius Fabatus; Girl feeding snake Denarius; Scale and Scale Weight Box Control Symbols; 64 BC, Cr412/1
    DSCN2293.JPG
    DSCN2295.JPG
    I bought this coin because I liked the symbol pair. I have not seen an ancient scale or balance with these features:
    · Two horizontal beams.
    · An arch below the beams.
    · A base with legs to hold the vertical post that holds the beam. Most coins are held from above the beam by hand.
    · The pan on the right is larger than the pan (weight?) on the left.

4. rrdenarius

2. Roman AE scale weights, barrel shape, 1 As with wolf symbol; 3 uncia
    DSCN2312.JPG
    One As, 326 grams or very close to a roman pound of 327.4 grams

DSCN2315.JPG
    3 uncia, 67.7 grams or a bit light

1. One week’s pay for a Roman soldier fighting at Veii in 400 BC.

My top item was collected over the past few years. It was displayed for the first time at the 2018 Texas Numismatic Association meeting in May.

According to Roman Republican Coinage by Crawford, the first RR coin was issued in 326 BC and #2 in 300 BC. Rome did not issue coins for about a century after they first paid soldiers. Livey says pay was in bronze bars.
    How much bronze was a week’s pay in 400 BC?
    At 3 Asses per day X 7 Days per week X 327.4 grams per As (= 1 Roman pound) = 15 US pounds
    DSCN1813.JPG
    One week’s pay in bronze, or about 15 US pounds. A steelyard scale weighed larger items without having to have scale weights of the same size. This type of scale was probably in use by 400 BC. I do not have any steelyard scales on Roman (or Greek) coins.

DSCN1820.JPG
    A half day’s pay on a two pan balance. Note the two scale weights on the left and aes rude pieces on the right.

DSCN1822.JPG
    This Roman Imperial coin shows the correct technique to hold a two pan balance that would have been used on smaller items.

7Calbrey, Smojo, red_spork and 28 others like this.
  5. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Not just a great top ten a fantastic and interesting write up, I love all your early republican and if I wasn't collecting architecture this would be it. Congrats on a great year.

Alegandron and rrdenarius like this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great stuff, @rrdenarius! I kept going "wow!" as I went down the list. The Tarsos obol has been on my want list for awhile. The semilibral sextans is beautiful, and I love the cast biunx with the astragalos, and also the aes grave triens. Your Roscius Fabatus is simply a stunner, and the Iberian style of the Ikalesken denarius just has such great character. And finally, while I don't collect weights (yet), I find your 3 uncia weight really fascinating.

Your AtG type tetradrachm is Price 2943, struck in PAMPHYLIA, Perge (or Perga). The KΘ in the left field is the city date (CY 29 = 193/2 BC). The ANS has in their collection an example that has the same countermark as yours:
    http://numismatics.org/collection/1953.171.290

rrdenarius likes this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coins and great post!

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Outstanding selection and write-up. My favorite is the Iberia, Ikalesken. Great detail.

rrdenarius likes this.
  9. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

great coins and subject write-up.

rrdenarius likes this.
  10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

An utterly superb list! Fabulous presentation too!

rrdenarius likes this.
  11. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

#7 is my favorite

rrdenarius likes this.
  12. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What a great year! Thank you so much for sharing and inspiring:woot::woot:
    In regards to your question on your #10, I have a very similar one. Even barring the, politely placed to not upset the artistry, Seleukid anchor. Though mine has a KI to your cool KO (KNOCKOUT!) Here is mine.
    CollageMaker Plus_20188131986976.png
    MACEDONIAN KINGDOM.
    Alexander III the Great (336-
    323BC).ARtetradrachm
    (15.98gm).About VF,
    countermark, graffito. Late
    posthumous issue of Perga,
    dated CY 27 (195/4 BC).
    Heracles wearing lion-skin,
    AΛEΞANΔPOY, Zeus seated
    left on backless throne, right leg
    drawn back, feet on ground line,
    eagle in right hand, scepter in
    left; KI in left field, Seleucid
    anchor countermark in rectangle
    in outerrightfield. Price 2941

I have a question for you. I have been impressed with your Roman weights and purchased one a bit ago with some countermarks. Have you seen many smaller weights of the like? My description from the seller is a bit vague...
    CollageMaker Plus_201872917591695.png
    Ancient Roman
    Bronze Weight
    with 2x
    Countermark
    L=17x17x1,5mm
    3,4gm rare

13. rrdenarius

Square bronze weights are fairly common. Finding them with attribution or provenance to the ground is not common. Scale weights were often ignored at dig sites and small bronze pieces went to markets in bulk. I have seen pictures of weights with countermarks, but do not recognize the symbol and bust on your weight. I can not tell if the weight is Greek, Roman or Byzantine. My guess is it is a late Roman or early Byzantine coin weight where the bust was the issuing authority and the other countermark was a local authority. Per Kisch, Scales & Weights, it could be a Roman 1 drachma. Per Hendin, Ancient Scale Weights, it could be 1/3 to 1/2 a shekel. The weight falls between weights listed by Bendall, Byzantine Weights, on pages 8 & 9 (1 solidi = 4.55 grams and used the symbol N).
    There is an excellent online database. You can try to see if you find your weight -
    https://pondera.incal.ucl.ac.be/about/

Attached Files:

Ryro likes this.
  14. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Great writeup and admirable focus for collecting. All of the items you shared are great, but the bronzes are exceptional. Thanks for posting this.

rrdenarius likes this.
  15. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Very educational thread!

rrdenarius likes this.
  16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Interesting stuff! You know it's going to be a cool top ten when a Alex III tet is in the 10 spot! What a cool display @rrdenarius !

rrdenarius likes this.
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Some great acquisition, what a year !

Q

18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Glorious! All are enviable acquisitions, but I particularly like the Mercury/Prow sextans!

19. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Awesome!! I like the Mercury Prow best too!

20. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Off the scale! My favourites are the obol, the struck sextans, the 3/8 shekel, and the truly awesome biunx.

rrdenarius likes this.
  21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

On the scale, actually :p :D

RR, your specialty is such a wonderful complement to the more common collection paths walked by most of us on CT!

I don't recall seeing that particular type of aes grave triens before (not that I'm well versed in cast Republican coins). Cool!

rrdenarius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted