RR Victoriatus-2nd Punic War

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

When I noticed this 'obscure' Roman Republic denomination, I couldn't resist bargaining a 'best offer' deal with the seller---especially since I no longer have one example of a 'Carthage' or Punic issue left in my current collection.

For those unfamiliar with the type, the VICTORIATUS was a silver coin issued during the Roman Republic from about 221 BC to 170 BC.The obverse featured the bust of Jupiter and the reverse 'Victory' (hence its name) placing a wreath upon a trophy with the inscription 'ROMA" in exergue. The coin originally weighed about 3.4 grams and the victoriatus was of a more debased silver than the denarius, which was introduced at about the same time.

The Second Punic War (of course, there were three), was also referred to as the 'The Hannibalic War' and lasted from 218 to 201 BC. It's generally believed---to a considerable extent--- that the war was initiated by Rome and is marked by Hannibals' surprising overland journey and his crossing of the Alps, followed by his reinforcement by allies and subsequent victories over Roman armies in the Battle of the Trebia and the giant ambush at Trasimene. In the following year (216 BC) Hannibal's army defeated the Romans again, this time in Italy at Cannae......Eventually, the final showdown was the battle of Zama in Africa between Scipio Africanus and Hannibal resulting in the latter's defeat and the imposition of harsh peace conditions on Carthage.....

Roman Republic, Anonymous moneyer
    Silver Victoriatus, 16 MM, 1.59 grams, Rome Mint, 211-210 BC
    Ref: Anonymous 36i; B.M.C. Italy, 232; Syd. 117: Craw. 103/1
    Laureate head of Jupiter right
    Victory right crowning trophy with laurel wreath; Roma below; MT monogram in field
    RR quinarius 2nd carthage war obverse.jpg RR quinarius reverse hannibal.jpg Map_of_Rome_and_Carthage_at_the_start_of_the_Second_Punic_War.svg.png

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Sweet coin and write up, MZ!
    I have a question though( please don't laugh:p), how much more debased was a Victoriatus compared to a Denarius?

ancientcoinguru and Mikey Zee like this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

cool republican MZ, and interesting denomination. there was one of these up for auction on ebay that finished up yesterday from amphora coins...it was very nice. it went above my price range a bit, but the type is on my list now.

ancientcoinguru and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. Mikey Zee

The precise silver content is unknown to me, even with research and 'googling'---but it had the 'value' of about 3/4 of a similarly sized contemporary denarius---so my guess is perhaps 60%....and probably less ??? I'm sure Doug and others have a better answer:):)

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great coin, Mikey! Congratulations, very nice detail and surfaces. I've looked at a few victoriati, just to claim that I owned an example of the denomination, but like others have complained, they were out of my price range for being somewhere in the middle of my priority list. I think they just climbed up the list though.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

8. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Very nice. A denomination that I do not yet own actually, but the attribution is incorrect. You can see the crossbar on the right half of the monogram, making it MAT as opposed to MT. That changes the attribution to Crawford 162/1a which is dated to 179-170 BC and was an issue of the Rome mint. Mistakes in identifying these monograms are quite common and even the big auction houses get it wrong from time to time.

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Very nice coin Mikey Zee.

I might have something to contribute to your thread: [Double Victoriatus = 1.5 Denarii]?
    One time TIF said this coin looks better in hand than in my photo. I'm not sure if that means I pick good coins or take lousy photos.:)
    Thessaly Stater Collage.jpg THESSALIAN LEAGUE
    THESSALI, Larissa
    AR Stater, 196-146 B.C.

6.14 grams, 21 mm
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right
    crowned with oak
    Rev: Athena Itonia advancing right
    brandishing a horizontal spear in
    right hand and shield in left hand.
    ΘΕΣΣΑ to left, ΛΩΝ to right, ΦIΛ-ΩN*
    above, and ποΛοΧοΣ below
    magistrates Hippolochos and Philon
    Grade: Well centered about EF with
    gentle toning and attractive
    obverse field flow lines.
    Other: Good style similar to Sear 2232, BMC 3,34. BCD Thessaly II 869.2
    [Double Victoriatus = 1.5 Denarii]. Ex La Galerie Numismatique (Heritage Jan 2013) lot 61035 From Eye-Appealing Coins April 2013

10. Mikey Zee

Thanks, guys!!! I hope to get an example (bronze?) from Carthage next---but that will have to wait until sometime in LATE December!!!:(

WOW, Thanks so much for the correction...you're amazing!!!:jawdrop:

C-89, That is a super phenomenal coin!!! If it looks even better in hand, it would literally render me stunned and speechless!!:hungry:
    Hmmm, Are you and AJ teaming up???:D

11. Mikey Zee

I just realized that red_spork's corrected attribution placing it as struck at Rome and dated 179-170 BC places it later than the Hannibalic War of 218-201 BC......and that reduces a bit of its allure:(

I do believe a credit is due me from the seller---don't you????

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  12. red_spork

Verify with the coin in hand that it is actually MAT first and not MT(just to be sure it isn't a trick of the photo), but if so, I would return it. MT is about 5x rarer than MAT, based on the number of dies used for the issue(~6 obverse versus ~30 obverse).

13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

If the coin is worth less on the market because of the incorrect attribution, then yes, absolutely. If it's altogether not the coin you want, send it back.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  14. Mikey Zee

Well, it does appear to be 'MAT' to the 'naked eye' and it seems the retail value is about $50.00 less than what I negotiated with the seller for the OP attribution....so I have contacted him to see what we can work out, short of an actual return since I do like it as an early RR victoriatus.

15. Mikey Zee

The seller just contacted me and believes he has correctly attributed the coin and states: "Anonymous 36i points to a description in 'David Sears Silver Coins and their Values' Volume 1" .... And then advises me to double check that reference
    Naw, this is not at all confusing LOL

Well, the library is just down the street from the supermarket I have to drop by tomorrow----so I will recheck and see what I can determine from that...and any other info any of you can offer. Since this was an e-Bay listed seller, I can alway request a refund if I decide to go that route. But the attractive price paid makes me want to keep it, and simply have it attributed correctly.

ancientcoinguru, swamp yankee and TIF like this.
  16. Mikey Zee

Enlarged photos:
    MAT obverse.JPG Mat rev.JPG

I believe the seller may be correct. Hard for me to tell....

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The coin looks pretty fantastic in your images... it just looks even better in hand! :)

I have something appropriate for this thread. If I have the attribution wrong, please chime in.

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic, anonymous AR victoriatus
    211-208 BCE, Sicily mint?
    15 mm, 3.2 gm
    Obv: laureate head of Jupiter right
    Rev: Victory standing right, erecting (crowning?) trophy; ROMA in exergue
    Ref: Crawford 67/1, BMC 137?

This came from a nice mostly unattributed mixed lot. I think the portrait of Zeus is more artistic than most, relative to the type.

18. red_spork

I will verify against Crawford, Sear and Sydenham(maybe, I think I have it, it's been a while since I've needed it) when I get home from work in a bit. That said, if the seller sold it as "MT" he made a mistake, plain and simple. On the "MT" series, the monogram is to the right of the trophy as opposed to between Victory and the trophy as it is here.

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  19. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Interesting denomination and discussion about that monogram : just the tiny bit that makes it all !

[​IMG]
    Republic, Victoriatus Minted circa 211-206 BC
    Head of Jupiter right
    Victory and trophy. ROMA at exergue, linked V and B in field
    3.11 gr
    Ref : RCV #51

Q

20. Mikey Zee

That's certainly a compelling observation and a convincing argument for the MT/MAT clarification.

Wonderful examples TIF and 'Q' !!!

ancientcoinguru and swamp yankee like this.
  21. red_spork

I just took a look at my copies of Sear & Crawford and I'm even more convinced. The correct attribution in Sear is Matiena 2(Crawford 162/1a, Sydenham 321) which lists MAT as the monogram and the plat coin makes it clear that this is your coin. Anonymous 36i(Crawford 103/1, Sydenham 117) specifically lists MT as the monogram and while there is no plate coin in Sear, the Crawford plate coin for 103/1 shows the monogram clearly as MT with no bar and in the right field as opposed to being between Victory & the trophy.

Hopefully this will be enough to convince the seller. Be sure to show him examples from ACSearch, there are enough of both to show the difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted