Royal Mint Peyer Rabbit - Advice

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by FitzNigel, May 6, 2016.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Hello CoinTalk Hive Mind - I would like some advice about what to do with a coin I accidentally purchased. When the Royal mint released the colored Peter Rabbit coins, I nabbed one for my British decimal collection, but I dislike colored coins. Once the us colored came out, I bought one of those, so now I'd like to sell the colored coin.

Looking at eBay, prices have been around £400-500. There is however a coin shop with certified versions they are attempting to sell for £1000-2000. So my question is, should I try to certify the coin in the hopes of making a larger amount, or unload it raw now while prices are favorable? Thanks for the help!

(And in case you've missed the coin, here's a photo from the mint of what it looks like:)
    image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Who in their right mind is buying that thing for that price? I would just sell it as is.

5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

That's the shocker to me - I'm guessing it was hyped in the UK, and it has a low mintage. I'm happy to sell it for a tidy profit! Thanks for the advice guys!

jwitten likes this.
  6. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Rabbits and bunnies are cute.

:)

7. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

Without knowing anything about it, I still consider it a virtually guaranteed long term money loser at this value. I expect the number of collectors who want that thing at anywhere the current price to be far scarcer than the mintage.

8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

@FitzNigel bought it at issue price kind of by mistake. He can't really lose, IMO. But, yeah, if I wanted one, I'd wait until prices came down to sane levels. It kind of is the cutest coin ever, and I don't even like colorized coins.

9. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

I'd describe it as an interesting piece of art that maybe I would want for twice its bullion value but nothing more. I'd use it as a knick knack for decorative purposes if it fit. I don't see it as a real coin.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted