Royal Canadian Mint turning into Franklin Mint?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stoster38, Sep 4, 2015.

1. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Hi Everyone,

I just got an email from the Royal Canadian Mint. They are offering new coins based on cartoon shows. The Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear, & Tom & Jerry!! What is going on with them? It seems that they are putting out anything & everything.

Who's running the Mint? Do they have any kind of strategy on what they're selling? Or are they just minting & selling anything that comes to mind? Sorry they are not minting the coins. They are selling them on behalf of another country but still. :rage:

Daniel Jones likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

As for the cartoon shows, I love them all. Who's running the Canadian Mint? A former US Mint Director no doubt, so no strategy and they will sell any and everything that they can just like the US Mint because they believe the US Mint has been very successful and profitable. :D

swamp yankee and Daniel Jones like this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I hear you OP. Even official Canadian mint products are numerous. A few years I posted here that I counted I believe 86 different commemoratives from Canada just in one year in a dealer's ad. I predict it will be like Franklin Mint products in the future. Heck, even proof sets and other sets from Canada were basically worth melt 20 years ago, and now they have 30 times more coins per year issued.

5. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember those cartoons, too, and also loved them as a child, but when official, government mints resort to conjuring up corny ideas like this, I think it's time to just stop buying from them.

stoster38 likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Haha, the Canadian mint went off the deep end 20 years ago. It's been a steady stream of NCLT since then.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  7. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

8. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I understand that it's up to the individual to decide whether or not they buy the coin. Not sure what being a member of the RCM Masters Club or having a personal account rep has to do with my post. Yes the US mint puts out way too many items as well & I don't buy those either but it seems that recently, the RCM, has been putting out a lot of coins. I just don't get why they decided to sell these. I don't see the connection to Canada.

9. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Maybe they'll start putting them in Happy Meals.

Daniel Jones and stoster38 like this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You guys don't like 'em? Don't buy 'em........:)

stevex6 and Onofrio Bacigalupo like this.
  11. Daniel Jones

Fair enough. I can respect that. Ha, ha!

12. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I won't be buying them lol I just couldn't understand why the RCM is even selling them.

13. medoraman

I respect that Ken, but there is a corollary even to those who don't buy most. When a mint saturates the market like this, it has a tendency to destroy value of ALL coins from that mint, just not the ones we do not like. So its more of a warning. I only buy silver coins with animals on them for my son. I would be very leery of buying anything from the RCM with the hopes it goes up in value long term.

Short of that, I agree wholeheartedly.

Daniel Jones and stoster38 like this.
  14. green18

Chris, the mint(s) has (have) become a business run by politicians whose only desire (it seems) is to increase their bottom line by selling these (NCLT) things but, by doing so, I believe they have attracted more people to the hobby then ever before. I think the serious hobbyist will soon outgrow the 'novelty' items and move on to more traditional avenues regarding collecting at some point in his (or her) collecting career........It's kind of a good thing in my humble opinion. Also too, I'm a 'sucker' for some of these items, and I buy them because I like them. I know I'll probably never make any money selling them down the road. Heck, I'll probably loose money on many of them but they're fun for me to have in the collection. :)

stevex6 and Daniel Jones like this.
  15. medoraman

Then that is a great attitude Ken. I simply remember Canadian stuff selling for almost nothing for decades since the RCM flooded the US market in the 70's and 80's, and made most Canadian coins almost valueless.

Like I said sir, buy what gives you pleasure and you can never go wrong. I was simply warning others that this plethora of offerings most likely will have negative effects on pricing of all Canadian coins down the road, if history is a lesson.

Personally I dislike all of the current colored NCLT stuff, but I also dislike a lot of other coins, but I never say others cannot like them. Whatever rocks your boat. I am sure most here would HATE the crap I pay good money for.

green18 likes this.
  16. green18

Here's an example not quite with the theme of this thread but it does demonstrate my point. This is a three inch medal I purchased from the mint a couple of weeks ago. It cost me $40 and you could probably buy it for considerably less (on ebay) in a year or two, but I wanted one now.

DSC_0548-horz.jpg

Did I mention that it's also 'high relief' Chris (@medoraman )?

Jwt708, KSorbo and stoster38 like this.
  17. Onofrio Bacigalupo

18. Onofrio Bacigalupo

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If it's what you enjoy, do it! :) I do.

20. Daniel Jones

Gee green18. After I have read your posts, I think you make a more compelling case then medoraman. I think it's because you are older, you know, wisdom with age. So, you won me over, the RCM can produce a variety of items to attract a wider range of collectors, hopefully. Just so long as they don't start portraying mass murderers. Ha, ha!

21. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I'd rather see LoonyTunes than more dead presidents and sets of dead presidents in proof, and reverse proof, and matte, and MS, and high relief, etc.

If you put lipstick on a pig..... It's still a pig.

Daniel Jones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted