Rounded Edge Nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rad_cents, Aug 21, 2006.

1. rad_cents

rad_cents New Member

Hi!
    When I was a kid I found a nickel with a very rounded edge and thought it was very interesting. I've had the coin for about 30 years and just today found a similar one like it in my change. The one I found today has an edge that is not a rounded as my orginal but it is very similar.

Anybody know how the edges got so worn on these coins?

Thanks!

nickels_2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Irishraider

Irishraider New Member

Someone's attempt at making coin jewelry? Rings perhaps? My wife bought a ring that was made out of a silver quarter. Maybe someone tried it with a nickel and found out it was just too hard to do? Just an idea. :hammer:

4. piano_pilot

piano_pilot New Member

You are correct..I have one also..part of the date is rolled over by the edge..have no idea if it's worth anything but is s mis-strike..

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

It may be a clothes dryer coin. While it is more common for a dime or cent to find its way into a fin of a commercial clothes dryer it is not beyond the realm of possibility for a nickel to do the same. Constant tumbling in the dryer can create the effect shown on your coins. We call this 'spooning'.

6. J. Farr

J. Farr New Member

That is not the answer I wanted to hear but that sounds like it makes the most sense. I found a similar nickel 2007 which has the rolled edges over the lettering but also many many fine nicks likely from the constant banging around of the coin. Commercial dryer for that long . . . Makes the most sense . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted