Round pound chaos.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sakata, Oct 17, 2017.

1. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Full article at:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-parking-machines-shops-fail-meet-royal-mint/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Nice excuse to issue more tickets

Stork likes this.
  4. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

So what does that mean for those coins I have stashed away? My grandkids brought me back a few a couple years ago from a trip. Junk or may have value? Circulated coins.
    JON

5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Probably exactly the same as those 5 franc coins would brought back from France in the 1990s

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Sentimental value

abuckmaster147 likes this.
  7. richfo3

richfo3 Member

Actually there are some of the £1 coins that are worth a tidy sum. Obviously most need to be in UNC/BU/Proof. But the coins that still hold big premiums even in circulated condition are the 4 cities pound coin with the Edinburgh coin much the scarcest of the set and sells from £10-£40 for circulated, Over £100 in BU,PF. 4 coin proof set £350. Fake news has made a new breed of chance collectors who will pay any amount even if it is worthless lol. You only need to search ebay and click on the sold listings and be ready to be amazed at the prices of £1 coins

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Basically right. :) However, France - like most countries around here - uses fixed deadlines: As from this date, you cannot use the coin any more, and as from that date you cannot redeem it any more either.

Getting "rid" of British coins, however, is a little different. So while you cannot get the old round £1 pieces exchanged any more, businesses can still accept them and turn them in later. Not sure how much time businesses have for that ...

Christian

9. richfo3

richfo3 Member

The deadline for our £1 coins was thursday 19th October 2017. Which has caused as the news bulletin says "absolute Chaos" . I think the time line given for old £1 to become non legal tender was far too short. Some of the EU countries are still accepting coins for euro exchange Ours was less than a year and even the banks won't take them. So I am going to hedge my bets and say there will be plenty still out there as most people only know something has ended when they go to spend it :)

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

I know about the deadline (wasn't it 15 Oct originally?), and I agree there was little time between issuing the new type and the old type becoming obsolete. But several businesses in the UK say that they would continue to accept the old £1 coin at least for some time. I am sure they would not do that if there was no way, again for businesses at least, of turning them in ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted