Round coin labels for coin cabinet trays

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GregH, Jan 10, 2019.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Hello all

I have been off cointalk and away travelling for quite a while, adding a few new and very dodgy countries to my country collection:
    B5E87130-74C0-41AD-8299-FF0A6D1A59D9.jpeg

But now I’m back home and focusing on my other collection!
    I have recently purchased an elegant Victorian era mahogany coin cabinet, which I think is ideal for storing my ancients collection. The trays in the cabinet have round slots, and I am wondering how best to label the coins. Ideally, I’d like to place a round label under each coin - but I’ve had no luck locating such a product online. I could make my own I guess, but that would be quite time consuming.
    Has anybody had experience with this? What’s your advice?

dlhill132, Theodosius, dadams and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Buy a round punch at a store that sells scrapbooking supplies and punch your own using acid free stock of the weight you like. I use 65 lb. I have two punches which allows making a ring of paper (punch the small one first so you have selvage to hold when doing the second one!). I use rings for tiny coins. The punch may seem expensive at first but you can do what you want your way and it will pay for itself if you use it enough.

4. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Thanks! Sounds like the best solution!

s!

5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I'd post advice if I had it...(and Doug's already got the ideal solution) but welcome back bruv! Is that you in Damascus??? Amazing!
    I was just talking to the lil lady about getting a curiosity cabinet and would love to see your New (old) coin cabinet:watching:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Yep, that’s me in Damascus. My guide said I was probably one of the only tourists in Syria. This is the Umayyad mosque in the old town:

6569E969-E336-4765-9183-847397A5C6F6.jpeg

I can report the situation in Syria is how calm, except for Idlib.

And here’s my cabinet!
    1151D5D2-FB07-4599-A1E7-0CC9DC73F554.jpeg
    8FE06353-17AA-4595-B472-F40C7B4B1F14.jpeg

7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

That is a beautifull cabinet.
    You are a brave man for going to Syria;)

LA_Geezer, Alegandron, GregH and 2 others like this.
  8. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Splendid cabinet! Lucky you.
    What size labels are you looking for?
    I have sent preliminary questions to a company named Roteck Enterprises, Inc. you can google the name and ask for yourself or wait to learn what they tell me.
    I told them that there may be a potential coin collector demand for these.
    I say this because I googled circular acid free paper labels and didn't find a supplier. There may be one out there. You would think there would be, but....

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Full disclosure: There are three punches in the family. My daughter has one with two ends and different sizes on each end. This photo shows the comparison. I'll also point out that you could print out data on your computer printer and then cut the labels after finished. I'm too lazy to do this and most of my trays have square holes so all I do with the punches are tiny coins I keep in rock sample tubs. You could also cut out photo prints and place them in the next hole so you could see both sides at once.
    0tubs2.jpg

Hers is like one of these but I am not suggesting anyone use the odd shapes shown in this photo I found online:
    [​IMG]

10. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I'm keen to hear what you find out! There could definitely be a gap in the market.

I'm looking for every size really - sizes appropriate for anything from a 9mm coin to 47mm.

11. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

That's to vague to tell the company. They may ask "What size do you want." What do I tell them? They would need, say, a reply like 500 3/4 inch rounds. I would think they would need an economical production run.

12. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I would say:
    - 50x15mm rounds
    - 50x20mm
    - 50x25mm
    - 50x30mm
    - 50x35mm
    - 50x40mm

That should cover my collection.

CREATIVECRHUNTER likes this.
  13. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

My favorite tag is the round, hand embellished, one I received from Michael Bezayiff with the purchase of this Crispus:
    tn_Crispus_RIC-VII-Siscia-123.jpg
    tn_bezayiff-tag.jpg
    Bezayiff is old school so I'm guessing if you wanted to find his round tag source you'd have to call or send some snail mail.
    Edit to add Bezayiff's ANA listing

Cucumbor, dlhill132, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  14. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Ah, you see that is perfect! Exactly what I want!

dadams likes this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

https://www.michaels.com/lever-punch-circle-recollections/M10358843.html?dwvar_M10358843_size=3.5 in#start=1

Why do you need different sizes? If the coin holes in your new cabinet are of different sizes, you could just use the smallest size that fits. Or, as Doug suggested, buy circle cutters from a craft supply store or Amazon. They are inexpensive. A package of acid-free archival cardstock probably doesn’t cost much either

16. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Excellent suggestions. Can’t wait to get started on the labeling project!

17. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

About 20 years ago there was a fellow dealer who had some sheets. I dont remember if they were custom or if they were stock from somewhere. I had to buy them from him. There were quite a number per page and could be printed and pulled off the sheet. As I am traditional I really wanted to use them for my whole collection but they just weren't 1.jpg large enough to put all the information on the tag I wanted. This is the only example I have left. I dont remember which dealer I got them from, so I'm no help there.

18. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I use a punch, cheap on Amazon. I got an artist's sketch book, acid free. I punch a load and keep them in a plastic bag.

Kasia and CREATIVECRHUNTER like this.
  19. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Another suggestion: Before you punch, create a template in Photoshop, where you can add text that neatly encircles the coin. After printing, you can then punch. What a great looking cabinet!!!

20. Dafydd

Dafydd Well-Known Member

Galata sell these made for coins so acid free for around $8.50 / 500 postage from the UK would be around $4.00. I send the link as they are difficult to find as their accessories page is under coins. Good selection of books too.
    These people are reliable but you have to email to obtain postage.
    See http://www.galata.co.uk/store.asp?stockMasterCategoriesID=68&storeAction=showProds
    I really admire your cabinet!

Kasia and JeffC like this.
  21. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Good work Dafydd!

Draft saved Draft deleted