Rough Surface vs Cast Bubbles

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Dec 20, 2016.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Just as a point of information, is that the forum that banned you not so long ago for posting political opinions, leading you to start posting here?

Alegandron and Roerbakmix like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Yes, because I have more time and cannot post there.

I started on Coin Talk as my only forum. When I got a "vacation" I joined the three other major sites. I was banned from one for questioning/going after numismatic nonsense posted by a long-time "big fish" member. Nevertheless, I have an ALT over there. I never posted much on NGC because it was DEAD. I posted most of the time at CU - the best US coin forum - until I was banned going after the ignorant snowflakes. No big deal except they get a vote that affects all of us and if someone (like my dear departed father) never comes in contact with the other possibilities, they will be casting an uninformed vote. I work with a fellow who believes the only folks who should be allowed to vote are US citizens who actually OWN physical property - buildings and land!

Anyway, at the moment I'm trying to revive the NGC site because there are some important members over there who are banned here. So now - CT is my main forum. Looks like I've come full circle.

BTW, I have found that each of the 4 major forums is best for certain things.

CT - good for ancients
    Coin Community - good for foreign
    CU - good for U.S.
    NGC - good for nothing (dead :dead: at the moment)

4. DonnaML

Thanks for the explanation. I certainly agree with you about CT being the best place to discuss ancients! The Forvum ancient coins discussion board is also good, obviously, but it's not nearly as active as CT, and it's really for a different kind of discussion.

5. Insider

DonnaML, asked: "Has either of you ever, even once, posted an ancient coin you own in this forum? Just wondering."

I don't think I have, the valuable ones are still in storage in a undisclosed unit in TN. I'll take a photo of some of the Greek bronzes I'm playing with at the moment. You'll need to fill in all the info you guys post under the image. :(

IMG_4592.JPG

@ernstk

What's the name of your book?

6. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

Lol your bronzes are fake ;) Patina is wrong and man made

7. DonnaML

I'm afraid the photos are a little too blurred to be able to tell much.

8. DonnaML

I don't own any Greek bronzes myself, but I find it very difficult to believe that you can possibly reach that conclusion from that photograph.

Edessa likes this.
  9. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

It's not that hard to see form the pic. I show you what a real patina look like for these coins for comparison.

coins-of-the-ancient-greek-city-states-ae-units-450-100-bc-vf_202022_b.jpg

coins-of-the-ancient-greek-city-states-ae-units-450-100-bc-vf_202022_a.jpg

Bing likes this.
  10. Insider

@ernstk, This is my third request before I call around.

What is the name of your book?

11. Insider

I may have found the book @ernstk wrote (translated to English) for $10 (20 available) on the internet.

Since these coins don't seem to be very popular in this country, it looks like less than $250 will get just about every book on the topic (including his?) and some appear to be very exceptional.

@ernstk Which of these did you write? Will you sign it for me?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  12. DonnaML

No link?

13. Insider

Google Sasanian coin book.

Draft saved Draft deleted