Rough Surface vs Cast Bubbles

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Dec 20, 2016.

1. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

I have never and would never buy a coin worth more than 500 as they are most likely high end fakes. I prefer to have a cheaper but real coin

Insider likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Well, this is officially the worst and most disappointing thread I ever made. To celebrate, here is a coin of the most disappointing thing Marcus Aurelius ever made.
    867E94AD-E519-489F-879C-47CEE0814E88.jpeg

Sorry CT!

Pellinore, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 11 others like this.
  4. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

This was a very interesting and informative thread, until two ego's clashed.

I've read the link posted before (http://tinyurl.com/j3qhh8d - in spanish, but readable with google translate) and believe this to be thoroughly and well conducted. The author ends with a sort of diagnostic prediction model to determine whether the coin is genuine or fake. If you haven't read it, please do, because it's really worth your time.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:rolleyes: You call it ego. I call it correcting misinformation coming from someone :bucktooth:"parroting" something he read.

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

OMG! I got excited when I saw this thread thinking the prodigal @Curtisimo had returned. But alas, it was just an old thread. But thanks to the rank smell disseminating from it you did come back! And with a classic The Great(ish) one liner! Hey-O!
    And agree with @Roerbakmix. Good thread my friend. But it REALLY did devolve thanks to a well known troll.
    Anyway, I already put em on notice...
    [​IMG]

7. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

I really don't know why you call me providing my opinion as being a troll? Isn't the point of discussion forum to read and learn from others? What I said about CNC is a well documented and not just random talk. So you can read on it and educate yourself instead of calling me a troll

8. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

This coin has been authenticated by ANACS but is suspicious. The surface has some cracks and strange looks. Insider , Do you think this is real?
    Screenshot_20200904-180132_Gallery.jpg

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

ernstk, asked: "This coin has been authenticated by ANACS but is suspicious. The surface has some cracks and strange looks. Insider , Do you think this is real?"

What nerve! :( Remember, I am a know-nothing, blow-hard, little jerk to you.

Nevertheless, you can quote me on this because you cannot get my reply wrong: The part of the coin you show has some characteristics of both a genuine and counterfeit coin. Those voids in the field and the selective wear spots on the relief are commonly seen on certain types of coins from various eras. Most viewing this coin would automatically think it was a counterfeit because they would not know any better. :smuggrin:

10. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

Again you provide a yes/no answer. I would accept your hesitant answer for a very high end convincing coin but for this cheap coin it is obvious it is fake! What do you mean by certain coin in certain era has these void/cracks on surface?? Please show some genuine example with such features.

11. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Has either of you ever, even once, posted an ancient coin you own in this forum? Just wondering.

NewStyleKing, Curtisimo, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  12. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

Lol I just did today. I posted a coin of mine of philip I and II as AVGG
    I also posted a rare coin of achaemenid satrapal last few weeks. You can check that out ;)

13. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Oh, egirl has an affinity to achaemenid satrapal coins. Those coins are cool precursors to ATG and all.
    (This one almost took his head off but ended up losing his armand life to Cleitus the black)
    20200229_180910_IMG_4417.PNG
    buuuut on an unrelated note, we've had an issue on this here wonderful and friendly board with a real negative individual in the past. This person becomes so crazed and enraged that despite their rude posts, lies aaand bizarre behavior no one likes them.
    Sad. I know.
    Welp, this here person gets themselves banned only to open a bunch of fake accounts to live in infamy as, The Poop Poster.
    Now, like a bad case of a transmittable disease, they keep creeping back in this forum. They pretend to be sane, but again and again we watch them unravel:
    Me right now-
    giphy-29.gif

Roman Collector likes this.
  14. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

Every forum could have trolls but I am not a troll and don't meant to be one, yes my opinion might be unique but that is how I think and believe, yes I believe that when it comes to politics there should be no mercy and caracalla is an example of this ( you can call me a staunch follower of lord machiavelli). Many might not agree with that and I respect them but many also think same as me and that should be respected too. In here , all I say is there are sophisticated machines and methods used for creating very very convincing fakes that look identical to the genuine coins and I am sure about it because I have few friends who know of some forgery circles in Lebanon, Egypt and Iran who are using these methods and make fake coins that leaked to European market and never get caught and ended up in some poor guy collection. Anyway I know it's sad, I know no one wants to have a fake but who knows many of coins we own as collector and think are real could be fakes and we might not ever know that!!! ever!!! and the guarantee of authenticity provided by auction house means nothing when there is no proof for a good fake !

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  15. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

Here is a genuine achaemenid satrapal coin I bought recently and I am 100% sure from patina and luster that it is genuine. It has a unique feature that shows a satrap in special satrapal headdress.

IMG_20200808_115805_856.jpg

IMG_20200808_115805_857.jpg

Bing likes this.
  16. George Bailey

George Bailey New Member

Thanks for sharing this. As a newcomer to this group and collecting in general I find it quite helpful.

17. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

The person in this thread is different (I think)...he reminds me of another poster that was banned (several times), named arash...who was also from Canada.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  18. RichardT

RichardT Well-Known Member

I thought the same. Certainly he/she is not new to collecting ancients.

Similar collecting interests, similar suspicions about authenticity.. among other similar points which would not be polite to write.

Alegandron likes this.
  19. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

Who said I am suspicious about authenticity? Actually if you read this thread, you will see Insider was the one who said the authentic sasanian coin was fake and I was the one who said it was real. I have no clue where you get your judgements from but they are not at all factual. Yes many collectors including me ( and I don't know who Arsh is you talking about) are suspicious of some coins. I have a close circle of authenticator friends who are top notch on some very convincing fakes that can fool 90% of members here so I know what is real and fake when I consult those guys.

20. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

A few years ago an American hand surgeon bought a hoard of spectacular Sicilian coins. Italy wanted them back. After a USA court case the coins were condemned as fakes and seized! The surgeon had to write and publish an apology in the form of what damage his way of coin collecting does to scholarship.
    No one knows HOW the coins were condemned so. With unique coins how can you do so?
    Well in my case, the 2 Palms Athens NewStyle, it looks/feels right-just because there is only 4 others known and they are all in museums and they all have a completely different obverse and reverse to mine and the reputable auction house really gave no provenance-I have no doubts.
    But really how does one know?
    On unique sort after types how does one proceed?
    How do authenticators become authenticators?
    I know the NewStyle type,and I can see by peering from the shoulders of giants...but rare unique and sort after types, with no believable provenance?

21. ernstk

ernstk Active Member

In your case as the coin is very unique and I bet it's very expensive, it is hard to authenticate. The fact that yours is not a die match to known examples also raise some red flags. In general , I avoid such coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted