Rough Surface vs Cast Bubbles

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

One of the main features coin experts use to determine a coin's authenticity is the surface. However a lot of people who are newer to collecting ancients (including myself) have a hard time distinguishing between a rough surface of a genuine ancient coin and the tell-tell bubbles that give away a coin as a cast fake!

I thought it would be fun for some of us to post photos of a coin and the group can weigh in on wether it is casting bubbles or rough surface. Feel free to include example of any kind including horn silver etc. my hope is that this thread will turn into a good resource for people who want to learn to better spot cast fakes. I'll go first but please excuse the poor photo! I'll get better at the photography eventually :)
    IMG_3221.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a good idea for a thread. Cast coins do not always have the characteristic bubbles. The OP coin of Elagabalus looks very cast to me because of the softness where the devices and letters meet the field, and the "cragginess" of the surfaces. These kinds of micro-fissures can occur during the cooling stage of a cast coin. The appearance is very different from the natural reticulation that can occur on ancient silver.

4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I haven't had the misfortune of purchasing a cast fake to date. I'm still numb from a bad experience with some tooled coins. Great topic for discussion, Curtisimo!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    +VGO.DVCKS, Curtisimo and Paul M. like this.
  5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Keeping with Elagabalus. But this one I go with rough surfaces instead of being cast.
    20161210_201454.jpg
    Yep its pretty crappy.

6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

So the coin I attached was actually the first ancient I bought. I bought it from a reputable coin seller on Vcoins. The only thing is I don't disagree with anything you said. The surface does look like it could be cast from all I've read but I honestly can't tell!! Here is some more terrible pictures. These are 16x magnification. IMG_3241.JPG
    IMG_3238.JPG
    IMG_3239.JPG

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It does look soft, but I wonder how much of the "softness" is a result of the image and not the coin. I certainly can't be certain, but I think the OP coin is genuine.
    You said it's crappy, and I agree on some levels, but disagree on others. The surface is very rough, but that's a fabulous reverse and scarce I believe. Not a cast fake IMHO.

8. John Anthony

I suppose those surfaces could have been caused by natural forces - perhaps the coin was buried in acidic soil and the base metals in the alloy leached out of the silver over time. At any rate, it's not the sort of coin I would buy just because I would always be wondering whether it was genuine or not.

+VGO.DVCKS and Curtisimo like this.
  9. Bing

How about this one where the obverse and reverse surfaces are very different, purchased from a very reputable dealer.
    Athens Attica B.jpg

10. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

@Bing no its not fake but yes the obverse is very rough.
    Got it with a small lot, my Licinius I came with it.

I may have to do a little more research on it. Not sure the scarcity of it.
    It's pretty difficult to read.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

To throw in my half cent worth opinion on the OP. At first glance I thought a little rough. I think it's real though.
    The lighting & photo makes it difficult to be certain.

+VGO.DVCKS and Curtisimo like this.
  12. John Anthony

Obv.: IMP CAES M AVR ANTONINVS AVG
    Rev.: PONTIF MAX TRP

:)

Smojo likes this.
  13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I do think some of it is unfortunately my poor photography, which is a work in progress ;) I believe it to be genuine rough surface possibly due to what you mentioned. I only say that because the weight and density are both in line with other examples. It's actually been really fun and inlightening experience to dig in to authentication techniques after having this coin all this time! One reason I thought it would be a cool thread.

14. Bing

I have the reference for your coin if you are interested

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

This coin immediately came to mind when this thread was posted

16. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

That type has been high on my want list.
    (I want a cool owl)
    IMO they're not that much different in fabric from obv to rev. I've definitely seen much more porous.

Since this type is high on my radar, I'd like to know the verdict on Bings coin there. And the why & why nots!!!

17. John Anthony

My turn. Real or fake?

alex k.jpg

Marsyas Mike, +VGO.DVCKS and Edessa like this.
  18. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

All of you are my mentors. I'm always interested!!!!!!
    I searched wildwinds a few days ago it is listed there. But it's as far as I got.

19. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Fake. To smooth on the surfaces
    Edited because I dropped my tablet. Is that casting bubble on the Rev legs?
    Wishing I had a bigger screen handy

Mikey Zee likes this.
  20. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

This one looks cast to me. Especially on the reverse above the outstretched arm. Also the patina doesn't look quite right.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  21. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Now I have to go trolling thru Bings threads to find it, lol. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted