Rough ideas on value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Darren Edwards, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Darren Edwards

Darren Edwards Well-Known Member

Good afternoon all
    I came across two different sets of toned Morgan’s and wondered how much I should pay for them ( I don’t want to overpay ) i was thinking they are worth around $30 each so each set should be $150? I have not purchased them yet so cannot get pictures of the reverse. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Just to add I have not asked for a price on these yet from the store so I could be well off on my estimate.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Understand you're wanting a "rough" value, but without at least knowing the mint-marks and preferably with reverse photos...better/clearer ones...and with mint-marks, it's hard-near impossible. The only thing I'd offer, as is...and assuming similar reverses...on anything of value is that $30 seems low to me, all things considered. Can you not ask for or obtain reverse photos, or do you know the mint info of each coin...anything else that would help...?

4. Darren Edwards

Thank you for the reply. I can’t get any more info at this time so i was going to try and base it off of the most common mint marks and assuming the rear may not be toned and go from there. I thought if I go in at the lowest estimate possible and they turn out to be common mint marks with not much toning on the reverse I have not over paid but if they are better mint marks and have more on the reverse then I might have to pay slightly more.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

They all look artificially toned

John Burgess likes this.
  6. Darren Edwards

How can you determine that from the terrible pictures I took?

7. Darren Edwards

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’d pass on them. The toning doesn’t look real.

chascat likes this.
  9. Darren Edwards

Could you help me understand why you think that? I looked up on toning prior to purchasing and made sure the coins had the correct looking luster to them for the condition, there doesn’t appear to be signs of tampering when looking through a lens or microscope and there’s no indications of any chemicals used unless I’m missing something? Any help would be appreciated

10. Collecting Nut

It’s only a photo and no photos of the reverse. The amount of wear on each coin and the colors on them are what I’m going by.

11. Darren Edwards

I’ve added new photos a couple of comments above ( much better ones ) including the reverse and also in two different kinds of light. Sorry I thought you were going by the new photos. The original photos I posted were terrible so I understand you can only go by what you can see. Feel free to take a look at the better photos and let me know what you think ( even if it’s not what I want to hear ) as I didn’t want to buy a tampered with coin so I’m really hoping I got it right

12. Collecting Nut

I’ll admit that while I have some toned coins I’m not a big fan of them. Looking at the photos of the 1921 I just can’t get excited about that coin. That orange color just looks fake to me. The artificial light obverse photo looks like there are a number of scrapes and cuts which really turn me off.

13. Darren Edwards

I suppose the only way for me to know if it’s fake or real is to send it in and see what it comes back with.

14. Collecting Nut

Yes buts it’s not worth the cost.

Kasia likes this.
  15. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

To be fair it's going to get QC (questionable color) if it gets called out.
    it won't get natural toned or artificially toned. If the colors are off from how they progress naturally, it will get questionable color as an opinion on it.

I'm not a fan but if the price is right. Meh. Start at melt and go up from there until you are uncomfortable and walk away of the price isn't right.. and I'd just assume a grader is going to tag it as QC so why pay an unreasonable premium if you'll possibly need to Crack out, dip to remove the toning and then try to resubmit and maybe get past them without a negative ding on the slab about color.

Darren Edwards likes this.
  16. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

The problem I've got with the coins, the photos, the toning and the whole deal is that you posted additional photos of a different coin. How can anyone offer any opinion of the coins in question (your first post) with only poor pictures of the obv and no pix whatsoever of the rev?

Irrespective of the toning questions, without seeing the other 50% of the coins for sale I wouldn't offer one cent above spot. Is the seller trying to hide something? I smell something fishy going on. I could be totally wrong, but the seller would have to prove it to me. He wants 100% of my money, I want to see 100% of what he's trying to sell me. I think that's fair.

Kasia, Spark1951 and John Burgess like this.
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The colors do not look natural to me.

Kasia and chascat like this.
  18. Darren Edwards

The coin I purchased is from the first picture I posted. Not a completely different coin at all my first pictures were just not very good. Nothing fishy from the seller I was just in a rush at the time I spotted them. Thank you for the reply

19. Darren Edwards

Thank you for the more informative answer which is what I was looking for in the first place. On the plus note the 1902 ended up being the counterfeit micro O which I actually like so ended up buying that one too ( I like the history behind the fact they went undetected for so long and ended up grading some examples )

Bob Evancho likes this.
  20. Darren Edwards

Thanks all for the replies. I ended up buying them all and probably over paid but I like them so I suppose that’s all that matters

MIGuy and Two Dogs like this.
  21. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

They look acid washed or they laid on the garage floor for a while. All too similar to each other for natural toning on a circulated coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted