Rough condition Prow reverse coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Coinzluke98, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Coinzluke98

Coinzluke98 New Member

This coin was bought for pennies in a junk box when I was a kid (I bought it because it says ROMA and that was the coolest!). I don't know much about it, and as you can see from the images its a rough one. The obverse is nearly completely corroded. The reverse contains what appears to be a right facing prow with ROMA inscribed below it. I'm new to IDing Roman coins, does anyone know what this is/ what time period it is from? I am guessing second century BC but I could be way off

Attached Files:

ominus1 and 7Calbrey like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Your coin is certainly Roman Republican, which isn't my strong suit. Weight and size are important if you can't make out the obverse, since the galley was used on most Roman bronzes. I think I see a bust to the left and an S before the galley - could be a Semis?

ominus1, Justin Lee and 7Calbrey like this.
  4. Coinzluke98

Coinzluke98 New Member

Its about the same size and weight as a nickel (a little smaller) if that helps

5. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

It's hard to be completely sure but at first glance I'd say it's definitely a semis due to the S to the right of the prow and what is left of the obverse bust and the fact that it is facing left strikes me as imitative. I suspect this is an imitation of a Roman Republic semis struck probably in Spain circa 2nd century BC or early 1st century BC.

ominus1 and Justin Lee like this.
  6. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I dont know personally but Im interested to see what others say.

Draft saved Draft deleted