Rotated die premium -- 1864 2-cent piece

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by I Palindrome I, Jan 23, 2006.

1. I Palindrome I

I Palindrome I Senior Member

I've got the opportunity to grab a nice AU 1864 large motto 2-cent piece. It's a nice looking coin with a twist: 100% die rotation. How much should I take that into account when valuing the coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm not sure how you define 100% rotation, to me that means the coin is struck correctly. But if you mean that coin is struck in medal alignment, so that if you turn the coin as you would if turning the pages of a book and that the obv & rev both right side up when you do - then that means the coin is struck with 180 degree rotation.

Now, how does that affect the price ? Well that's about as good as it gets to an error collector. But coins of that period are frequently found with rotation errors, but maybe not that much. So it's hard to say how much premium it would add. I wouldn't think it would add a lot - but then I'm not an error collector.

4. I Palindrome I

I Palindrome I Senior Member

Sorry for the imprecise language. It is indeed rotated 180 degrees, so it's true medal alignment.

It's a nice coin regardless of the error, so I might just pick it up anyway.

5. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

Rotated die errors are incredibly common among 1864 2c pieces. More common than any other issue or year, I believe. Still 180 degrees of rotation is quite desirable and will add a modest premium to the coin's value.

6. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Not to cast a dark shadow, but just make sure its not a fake....as 180 degree rotation is often an indicator.

7. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Sorry to bring up a 4 years old thread, but the title is accurately describing my own question.

I got a 1864 2 cents with reverse rotation of 90 degrees to the left. In other words, the upper part of "2" is pointing towards 9 o'clock, when the coin is turned like a book page (instead of being upside down and point towards 6 o'clock).

I understand it is common, but is there any kind of known premium to such rotation? The coin got full details except the hardly visible "We" in "In God We Trust". What would be the grade? XF or VF?

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The rotation at 90 degrees might bring a modest premium, but a 180 degree rotation on an 1864 will bring no premium. There is at least one die pair of 1864 that always comes with a 180 degree rotation and it seems to account for over 5% of the entire mintage. At least it seems like about one out of every twenty 1864's has the 180 degree rotation.

Draft saved Draft deleted