Roosevelts from 1955 Mint Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Skyman, May 27, 2016.

1. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Here are some Roosevelts from the 1955 Mint Set I got last summer. IMO the D mint and the S mint Roosies for the most part were mehh kind of coins so they are not shown. However I have included the reverses from the two S mints as it appears the mintmarks are different. I am not a variety kind of a person, could someone that knows about varieties please tell me about these? The images are by Bob Campbell and I think he did an excellent job.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

Mint marks were stamped into the dies by hand, so there is variation in placement from one die to the next. This is normal and common.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Skyman

I believe that Sy is referring to the difference between the two "S" mintmarks. Note that one is "thin and open" while the other is "thicker and partly filled". Does anyone know if there were different fonts used?

Chris

medoraman likes this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree. Btw, the first looks normal, the very thin and open MM looks very odd. Such clearly defines mintmarks are very unusual. I wonder if one was supposed to be the proof mm and the other a production mm.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Except there weren't no proof mint marks in them days... ;)

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Is it possible that the thin mintmark was simply due to a weaker strike?

Chris

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

If you go to Varietyvista.com you can find the mint mark styles used for different dates as well as series . There were different styles used in 1955 at both San Francisco and Denver mints.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I just went and looked at my 55 S Roosevelt dimes I also have both mint mark styles . At first the taller one I thought it was touching the torch. Had it it would of been a mis placed mint mark.

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

There is also variation in the "depth" of the punch which can create different "looking" mint marks.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I think you've got the right basic idea - that being two different punches were used, one fresh and new and the other old and worn. This kind of thing happened rather often and on some coins is the basis for well know varieties.

Draft saved Draft deleted