Roosevelt Dimes

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Tater, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

i just bought the dansco for Roosevelt dime. I thought why not what type of collector would I be if I never did the set. Plus I thought it would be a nice set that will be fun as the price is low compared to other series out there. I know the 49s is a tough one but for you experts what are some of the other ones that you look at when you are looking at Rosies? Is the full split band worth the hype? Where are some good places to start looking to by nicer bu or gem raw coins? Also are there any varieties that should be considered. I just wanted to ask some of these questions to get some general feedback and brainstorm some. So thanks in advance if you respond.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Go for superior luster, full bands, and colorful toning. When I started my Roosevelt collection, I called it the Roosevelt Blues and tried to find as many dates as I could with cobalt blue toning. It was a fun venture! Maybe look for old NGC slabs that pre-date the FT designation and crack them out. Just an idea!

Tater likes this.
  4. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

You referring to the older fatty slabs?

5. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I just purchased one as well, because I wanted to collect the silvers in toned gem bu I found one on eBay for $33 including shipping and it had 117 business strike and proof clads in Gem BU already. Since I only wanted to do the silvers I figured I saved time and money buying this one as I only need a few clads and then I can pick out the silver proofs and the pre 65's I want to finish it out. I'm in real hurry as I'm still finishing a Gem BU Jefferson Dansco and that's the priority everything else is just gravy.

Tater likes this.
  6. Lehigh96

Yes, NGC did not start recognizing FT until 2003, so you can cherrypick FT dimes in old fatty slabs.

7. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I have searched the NGC site but can't find the criteria for determining full torch distinction. Where can I find this information? @Lehigh96

8. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Is this the same with Mercs, and when did pcgs begin?

10. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I'm currently working on a toned raw set myself. To be honest I don't even look at the bands when I buy. All I care about is eye appeal, if it has a good combo of luster and color at a decent price then I'll but it. I have about 12 so far and have been able to get all of them but one for under $10. The 51 S I paid $20, but its eye appeal is off the chart.
    I've had some luck buying on eBay but I think the best place to buy is at shows.

Tater likes this.
  11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Are you buying a lot of graded coins and breaking them out? I've picked up a couple nice mint set toners raw for a good price.

12. Lehigh96

Like NGC, PCGS started the FB designation for Rosie's in 2003.

The same does not apply to Mercs. As far as I know, the FB designation for Mercs has existed since the start.

13. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Most of the silver coins came pretty nice usually. A few like the '54-S will often be weakly struck by worn dies but it's the exception. This is less true with the clads that comprise the bulk of the set and most of the value. Some coins like the '66 or '82-NMM are typically poorly struck and/ or struck by heavily worn dies.

I'd suggest trying to acquire decent strikes for all the clads. Eye appeal is important but it doesn't make up for missing detail or mushy strikes.

14. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I'm trying to buy all raw but if I can find a nice slabbed one for a good price I'll get it and crack it out. I actually just bought one on eBay last weekend graded by NGC and will be cracking it out when it arrives.

Draft saved Draft deleted