Roosevelt dime revisited

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bmagold, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Bmagold

Bmagold Active Member

I want to say what I have discovered studying this silver Roosevelt dime. First let me say I will have a really good camera on Monday so I am going to upload the 2 best pics I have for now but will post better ones then.
    1- It is a 1952-S and not a 61-S.
    2-The blur is tight and uniform and covers the entire surface of the coin both front and back.
    3-The "In" and the "We" is partially cut off of the edge only about 1/4 of the W shows
    4-The entire edge of the dime is void of any reed.
    5-The dime shows bits and pieces of lettering and numerals of date, legend and motto in no particular direction through out both obv. & rev.
    6-The date, motto and legend are very thick as if doubled and tripled on
    7-The dime weighs 2.5 gr. as do all silver Roosevelt dimes. Better pics to come.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

When you share your images please use full image Screenshot (448) full image.png

JCro57 likes this.
  4. Bmagold

Bmagold Active Member

Ok I didn't really notice the feature until now

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Your dime is damaged. Looks to be a dryer coin.
    I can tell even with the horrible blurry pictures you provided.
    Try better pics please.

6. Bmagold

Bmagold Active Member

Thanks dwiz your a very useful mammal. Would it it be ok to check in with you from time to time I am pretty new at this so I am sure there is alot I don't know

7. Bmagold

Bmagold Active Member

That certainly is one way a coin could look like this I would not have thought of. Oh and I lost my bubble I think around the age of 13 or 14 but thanks

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Bmagold

Bmagold Active Member

And I promise I will try better pics on Monday

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@paddyman98

I'm with Mr. P.! It is probably a dryer coin. The first clue that this might be true is that it is missing all of the reeded edge. This happens to dryer coins when they get caught between the lining and the drum and roll around for a long time being exposed to the heat. The heat also causes the devices to lose their detail, almost like the coin has melted.

Having a good camera to take photos is one thing, but if you don't have a copy stand or a tripod to stabilize the camera, you will probably have a hard time taking good, clear photos.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted