Roosevelt Dime error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dave Messersmith, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Dave Messersmith

Dave Messersmith New Member

I came across this dime in a collection of dimes that had been set aside for quite awhile until I had time to research. Now that I am retired, figured it was about time. It is a 1983 D Roosevelt Dime on an offsized planchet. The diameter is 16.72mm with a well formed very symetrical rim and no reeding. The weight is only 2.0 gr. The color is off as well, medium grey and has no luster, but is very sharp in its detail.
    The details that caught my eye were the closeness of the head to the rim, the date obscured by the rim, the text obscured by the rim, and that the rim seems to be overriding the coin face details rather then the other way around.
    I have been looking for potential foreign planchets and have not found an exact match; some close, but not matching both.
    Any thoughts are welcome.

Planchet error Roosevelt Dime 1983D.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Show the Reverse side also. And the edge.
    You stated no reeding.

Looks like a spooned damaged edge issue.

Not a Mint Error IMHO

Mountain Man and Kentucky like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm thinking the same thing. If the reeds have been flattened, then it has been "spooned".

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Well, it's worth a dime. Welcome to CT.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT Dave. Please do post photos of reverse and edge of coin for better evaluation. When you take into consideration the minting process, it would be very unlikely that your coin came from the mint like that, so most likely PMD.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Clothes dryer coin

8. Silverpop

Silverpop Well-Known Member

Most likely Post Mint damage worth 10 cents

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

If the clothes dryer this coin was in was at the Mint, that makes it a mint error. He ought to find out. What kinds of clothes dryers do they use at the Mint, anyway? I don't know that there's enough scholarly research on that subject to nail it down.

10. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

A clothes dryer huh ? That stinks

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Use Bounce sheets. They're fragrant and they prevent static too so your coins don't stick to your clothes when you take them out of the dryer. Just a recommendation.

Draft saved Draft deleted