Roosevelt Dime Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Richard Grieco, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Richard Grieco

Richard Grieco New Member

68FEA120-2614-4D1B-A5CB-4016FF8D4BE1.jpeg First time posting so be gentle. I found this coin in an old album my dad gave to me years ago that’s I didn’t even realize I had until I moved recently. Came across the attached 1953 Dime and saw what looks like a little goatee. I couldn’t find this error memorized in any literature and was curious to get opinions. Am I seeing a die chip or is it nothing? Thanks!

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from your pic but it could be a minor die chip.

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Try uploading it and clicking on the full size Photo.
    I can hardly see it either.

5. Richard Grieco

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

OP . Does that what looks to be a die crack, run from rim to rim ?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

I see something going through the top of his head.

Sidney Osborne likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

I cant tell from your photo. Can you take a photo from a different angle? Preferably from straight above.

9. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

It looks more like a die chip than a hit or PMD. And that does look like a die crack also: good eye @Rick Stachowski!

The OP, like myself, perhaps lurked for awhile before making a first post, hence the hope we would be gentle. Kind of sad, isn’t it, that some of us, at least, give the impression of being critical. And it’s more than an impression: some on CT are frequently less than inviting.

My hat is off to the many who patiently day-in-day-out respond to the queries of new members in a courteous manner. You are helping to educate and advance the hobby.

Steve

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Sometimes, it's hard to be polite when the same questions are asked and answered one thousand times.

Chris

Spark1951 likes this.
  11. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I hear you, Chris. That’s why I’m amazed and grateful for all of you fellow CTers that are patient and courteous.

Steve

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I see nothing that would bring any significant premium to the average collector, but due to the family connection, the coins should be priceless to the OP.

You're very fortunate, sir.

SammyMann likes this.
  13. Richard Grieco

Thank you all for the responses. I inherited a decent collection about a year ago and have been educating myself over that time. I collected some as a kid but it’s been about 25 years. I clearly have a lot to learn. Thank you all again.

14. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

That little dark spot under FDR's chin pointing to the 'GO' could just be foreign material - try giving it a gentle massage with a wet toothpick - if it's part of the coin, it won't move or change color.

15. Iggyfiremist

Iggyfiremist New Member

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Just hit Upload a File then choose the picture. Very easy. You posted pictures on Facebook correct?
    We don't like opening up links for the risk of viruses. Also.. You should start your own separate thread. Start fresh. We will see it!

Sidney Osborne and Stevearino like this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

But he's standing on his head.

18. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

You're not talking about that elusive 1969-S DDO Lincoln are you? :nailbiting::nailbiting:

19. juris klavins

Here's how it's done ;)

187e380b9df50cea52d0a678ee5ca4b1.jpg

Collecting Nut likes this.
  20. Lawrence "Dutch" Keen

Lawrence "Dutch" Keen Active Member

Coin collectors, like other "collectors" can be just smart-asses when they think they, and only they are right!

21. juris klavins

Or maybe the new members who watched a YouTube video and are convinced they have that rare 1982D 'penny' ? :rolleyes:

wxcoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted