Roosevelt Dime Collecting

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ExBingoAddict, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

this is similar with the frankies.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eatranman

eatranman Member

I have been working on my Roosevelt dimes in a Dansco book that has all the proof coins since Feb 2010 and the newer coins are the hardest to find still need 12 coins to finish set mostly newer silver proofs.

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I've got my full set of silver Roosies.
    All slabbed NGC or PCGS.
    The business strikes are all MS-66.
    The proofs are all PF-67.
    These aren't the best you can get, but plenty good enough for me.

Now to reach their full potential I need the Gov't to significantly change the design.
    Unfortunately I may be gone before that happens.

I bet with a little bit of studying you can easily learn to recognize FT Roosies.
    And then start cherrypicking them at shows slabbed or raw.
    I believe that would be a WELL worthwhile exercise.

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Kanga

I think both us have been doing the same thing with Roosevelt Dime's! MS&PF
    Now if I could ever find 1950-1953 PR-67-68 Deep Cameo Franklin s that were not big $$$$$.00 my sets would be competed

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Certainly similar.
    But you seem to be going for better coins than I was.
    I didn't look for FT's but ended up with 2-3.
    Nor did I go for cameo's on the proofs.
    And I wanted a matched set which is why the business strikes are all -66 and the proofs all -67.
    It was a fun set for me.

7. conpewter

conpewter Junior Member

I like to do sets from circulation, currently working on several including the Roosevelts. My dad started coin books years ago, I got a merc dime book from him with about 40 filled in which is cool. My 64-present circulation book is filled except for 2009p which I should get pretty soon. I'm working on 64 and before but that'll take a while, I'll enjoy the silver I pull as I look for them though :)

8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

key date does not refer to the lowest mintage coin but to the coin that is the most difficult to find. Many times these are one in the same, but in the case of Roosevelt dimes, the 1949-S is much more difficult to find than the plentiful (although lower mintage) 1955.

9. Lather

Lather Time traver Numismatist

I Love my Set.. It is all Complete but the 2010 Silver.. I have from 1999-2009 All Silver PF70's..
    I have now Started replacing some of them with some Monster Toned ones.. I wish I could get good Pictures of the Tone.. Have not mastered that yet..
    I had a neighbor come over and offer a Framed Coin Collection of her fathers.. The Coins looked like they were cleaned before they were framed 40 Years ago... But they had Toned wonderfully.. Monster Obverse Color.. I just love them.. Just added the Roosevelt to my set.

10. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

I also have a full set of silver Roosies (46 -64) slabbed by PCGS, all the business strikes are MS-66 . Match set, completed in less than six months.

11. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

People might not agree with me when I say this but I believe the Roosevelt dime is one of the best looking coins out there and has always been one of my fav's.

GreenBay3051.jpg

12. chip

chip Novice collector

If memory serves, there is also a no-s variety from one of the clad mint sets, I think it is pretty pricey tho.

13. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

If you're going to varieties, do you include the 1982 no P?

14. mikenoodle

That's the great part about collecting coins. There is no wrong way to do it. My collection of Roosevelts is now very small but I once completed a nice BU set from 1946 - date including all of the proofs. I sold it for something else but kept 2 coins from the set. One is a very nicely toned 49-S in PCGS MS-66. It is a beautiful blue color on the obverse. I also kept my 82 No-P in PCGS MS-63.

God bless the Roosevelt Dime collectors! This coin deserves some love too! I think that clad coins are really under-appreciated and that makes for an exceptional collecting value. Most of these coins can be had for less than $1. If the ever become popular they could pay off handsomely, but I always throw out this word of caution: I know people that are still of the opinion that nickel 3¢ pieces will catch on and prices will skyrocket so I'd best buy some now. They've been saying that for the better part of 15 years that I know of, probably longer. I wouldn't hold my breath. So collect a series because it's fun. this one is fun and cheap.

15. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I totally agree with you Mike about the 3 cents. I love them but dont know if they will ever really catch on.
    But you mentioned Roosevelts and Clad's. Those are two different animals.
    The clads will some day catch on. Just when is the real thing. Rosies though havn't really caught on even in their silver sets. So I think they might always be the 3 centers of the world.
    It's too bad as it's a nice coin. I think alot has to do with the size and denomination. Penny's are collected cause they are worth 1/10 of a cent and so the size fits to the amount you get in peoples subconscious.

16. mikenoodle

Yes Duke. The Entire Roosevelt series as a collection or just the clad Roosevelts as a collection are what I was referring to. I think that clad coins of every type are under-appreciated, but I was specifically referring to the clad Roosevelts.

17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Scarcity is a function of SURVIVING SPECIMENS, not MINTAGE.

18. mikenoodle

scarcity is also a function of whether or not people were able to hoard a coin. An excellent example being the 1950-D Jefferson. Low mintage but hoarded. The coin actually sells for less today than it did in 1964.

19. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Which affects the survival rate of specimens AND their condition. Once again Surviving Specimens is the key.

20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

****Not to change Subject****

Me too.:thumb:
    but somehow I just got the Franklin Proof bug and I still working the hard year Proof 1950-55.hex some like the 1950 PR-66-67 Pcgs DCAM $1500.00-3500.00 that a big price as for being retired & on a fix income that :kewl:eek:nce yr buy .

21. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I have been working on a BU set of the Silver Roosy Dimes. FDR is my fav president.

Draft saved Draft deleted