Ronald Reagan on the $50

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Mar 4, 2010.

?

Select your choice of FUTURE designs of the $50 note and all else that applies...

Poll closed Jun 6, 2010.
  1. Keep President Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President, on the $50.

25 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. Remove President Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President, from the $50.

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. President Ronald Wilson Reagan should be honored on the $50 or any future coin or note.

21 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. President Ronald Wilson Reagan should not be honored on the $50 or any future coin or note.

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. US coins/notes should feature politicians, statesmen/women or persons of elected office.

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. US coins/notes should not feature politicians, statesmen/women or persons of elected office.

13 vote(s)
    17.8%
  7. US coins/notes should feature prominent citizens who contributed to society but are not politicians.

11 vote(s)
    15.1%
  8. US coins/notes shouldnt feature prominent citizens who contributed to society but arent politicians

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  9. US coins/notes should feature allegorical figures of liberty, freedom or national symbols.

44 vote(s)
    60.3%
  10. US coins/notes should not feature allegorical figures of liberty, freedom or national symbols.

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I think the worst President this country had in modern times should be printed on the $1,000,000 Monopoly Note.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Augustine1992

Augustine1992 Member

ya, thats basically what I meant. Todays designs suck, well most of em.

Obama? lol

4. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

You mean fdr right?

5. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

Put him on the $3 bill.

6. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

My vote is for Coolidge.

7. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I always thought people on money was imperialistic, as did our founding fathers who fought to free themselves from such things. I'm all for a return to the allegorical representations of our land rather than the elitist portraits of those who merely screwed up the least.
    Guy

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

OK guys...this is starting to get a little too close to the political stuff. Everyone knows that politics are not allowed here. I don't want to close this tread.

9. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

I agree coleguy and you couldn't have said it better.

10. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

Iconic images for our printed bills that would be great:

1.) 2003 Time Magazine Year of the Soldier cover - or some allegorical representation of the US Military. Not conquering or fighting. Like at a prade sceen.

2.) Iwo Jima Memorial

3.) Washington Monument

4.) WWII Memorial/USS Arizona Memorial/changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

5.) History

6.) Mathematics

7.) Literature

8.) Science

9.) Lady Liberty from the Saint-Gaudens double eagle.

10.) Flight

11.) Sailing

12.) Grand Canyon

13.) Sierra Nevadas

14.) Yosemite National Park

11. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I think a person could make the argument that our founding fathers and Lincoln would also fit the description of that allegorical representation.

12. domdino

domdino Junior Member

Someone please enlighten me... As I remember it, the "law" said a person's image couldn't appear on U.S. currency or postage stamps until 15 years after their death. Obviously this law was waived for the Roosevelt 10 cent and Kennedy 50 cent pieces. Have we any legal historians here?

13. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I agree. But would a king not also warrant that same consideration? Thats what they were fighting against....not a king on currency per se, but what that figure, allegorical or not, represented. A person is a person, no matter what status they hold, and thus, by definition, are not allegorical.
    Guy

14. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

The law regarding paper money only says the person has to be dead--no waiting period is specified.

There is no law against putting *living* people on coins, let alone recently-dead ones.

For stamps, the law does specify a waiting period (is it 15 years? I thought it was five), but also contains an exception for former presidents, who are traditionally honored with a stamp on the first anniversary of death.

15. domdino

domdino Junior Member

Thanks Numbers. I thought I'd read 15 years in Newsweek once. It wouldn't be the first time they were wrong.

16. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

There are now laws that prohibit depicting living people as themselves on coins. For example, the code for the territorial quarters specifically prohibited the depiction of a living person.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/31/usc_sec_31_00005112----000-.html

Draft saved Draft deleted