Ronald Reagan on the $50

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Mar 4, 2010.

?

Select your choice of FUTURE designs of the $50 note and all else that applies...

Poll closed Jun 6, 2010.
  1. Keep President Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President, on the $50.

25 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. Remove President Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President, from the $50.

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. President Ronald Wilson Reagan should be honored on the $50 or any future coin or note.

21 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. President Ronald Wilson Reagan should not be honored on the $50 or any future coin or note.

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. US coins/notes should feature politicians, statesmen/women or persons of elected office.

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. US coins/notes should not feature politicians, statesmen/women or persons of elected office.

13 vote(s)
    17.8%
  7. US coins/notes should feature prominent citizens who contributed to society but are not politicians.

11 vote(s)
    15.1%
  8. US coins/notes shouldnt feature prominent citizens who contributed to society but arent politicians

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  9. US coins/notes should feature allegorical figures of liberty, freedom or national symbols.

44 vote(s)
    60.3%
  10. US coins/notes should not feature allegorical figures of liberty, freedom or national symbols.

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dursin

dursin Senior Member

Says it all... :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tiag12

tiag12 w/out the penny we'd all

Ok, where can I get my rolls?

4. mdseverin

mdseverin Junior Member

5. krispy

krispy krispy

fixed that link for ya!

A $50 salute to the Gipper. Putting Reagan on the $50 bill is just a start.

I'd have to disagree with this opinion columnists final thought that Americans generally distrust monetary change as the reason why the $1 coin never caught on and by extension the loss of value in their money implies the same kind of distrust that stokes their suspicions and mistrust when we are considering to change the design of coin and currency. He really says nothing new about justifying the idea for Reagan being put on a note but proposes many of the same ideas that have been expressed in this thread and others regarding currency designs.

6. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

just overprint it or issue limited paper notes to honor or to commemorate ronald reagan.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

Chicago Tribune article 5/17/2010

Poll: 80% oppose Reagan on $50 bill from The Chicago Tribune 5/17/2010:

8. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

That was very, very different.

9. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Like all presidents, Reagan had his good points and bad. Even though I have an overall favorable impression of him, I personally oppose his portrait on the $50. Do we really need another reason to shout at each other ? We can't have reasonable discussions about meaningful issues; why waste time, energy, and political capitol on something with so little relevance ?

10. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Maybe, after the First Spouse Series, they'll create a First Mistress Series, and we can get Marilyn Monroe on a coin.

And if we're really lucky, the Danberry Mint will create a Teddy series with his bust on the Obverse, and a picture of a car going off a bridge into water on the Reverse.

11. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

I couldn't agree more. I attended the monthly coin club meeting in Johnson County Kansas last night. Our guest speaker was there to talk to us about Islamic coinage. Instead, he spent no less than 20 minutes giving a talk on illegal immigration in Arizona. In fact, he talked about that more than he did Islamic coinage. I felt bad for the club officers who invited the guy, I don't think they expected that. As for myself, not sure I will be returning for a few months. If I want to listen to some self-rightous political blow-hard I don't need to drive across town to do it, I can simply turn on the TV.

12. currencylover

currencylover New Member

Had Reagan been assasinated in the later part of his administration, he would have been on a coin or note within 2 years. Not trying to be morbid, just my opinion. He was a true and proven stand out president.

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Yes he was!! I think he deserves more then a stamp or coin !

14. krispy

krispy krispy

Lest you've forgotten, this is that old thread where you've already (#96) posted (134) about a dozen times previously your same message of support for RR on an piece of currency... :smile But I don't think you forgot, just trying to vote more than once. ;)

15. mpcusa

What are you the hump on my back.....LOL:rolleyes:

Thanks for giving me another opportunity to pad
    My posts :)

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Nope! Not your hump... per your own wording at another time, you referred to me as your "mother-in-law"... it seems your memory just doesn't serve you too well, but you clearly never forget your post count which you could always reference as a reminder of previous comment. ;)

17. au and ms coins

au and ms coins Junior Member

no one wants to see poeple on coins it has such a basic abd boring design and it stirs up too much arguments. Why not go back putting images of liberty? Much cooler :D

18. krispy

krispy krispy

The interesting part of the poll that I put up with this thread (found at the top of the page), which allows members to vote on multiple choices, is that no one (so far) made a selection for the last item on the list, "US coins/notes should not feature allegorical figures of liberty, freedom or national symbols."

It would seem that the other selections are the most debatable and contestable, leaving some sector of the population unsatisfied should other choices win out and in turn the most accepted choice to appease all would be to return to allegorical figures of liberty, freedom or national symbols... which is probably a key factor of using a symbol rather than actual persons' likenesses to begin with as was once expressly stated in the designing of US coin and currency.

19. Payton

Payton New Member

Man, talk about post counts. What's the record amount of posts in an 11 month period here?

Post away MPcusa. And yes, Krisp is intentionally trying to throttle you whenever you post. That's pretty clear. Shame..

I vote for a Reagan note ASAP!

20. krispy

krispy krispy

21. mpcusa

8,124 ?.....lol

Draft saved Draft deleted