Romulus Tomb, door ajar

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by PMONNEY, Mar 16, 2018.

1. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

As an ancient coin collector, it is a renewed pleasure to read the numerous wise articles of Marvin Tameanko. Looking back at some old issues of the regretted publication"The Celator" I was delighted to rediscover in the Vol.25, N°5, May2011, the precious article: "Roman Architecture as propaganda on coins"-The Coinage of Divus Romulus.

The author distinguishes three types of reverses of these bronze coins, minted in Rome and Ostia, meant to represent respectively the tomb of Romulus, the shrine of Romulus and the Temple of Romulus.

Explaining that these were three distinct monuments - rather than a unique, misrepresented, monument erected for the prematurely deceased son of Maxentius, Tameanko tried to explain why they were all represented with a door ajar. His conclusion:"it may indicate that the tomb was open to he public and that spectators going to the circus were invited to pay their respects to the deceased.

I was able to obtain a copy of the brochure published by Prof. Britt Haarlov in the Odense University Press: "The Half-Open door".After a detailed research with Roman sacorphagi she concluded that this represented a Symbolic Motif within the Roman Sepulchral Sculpture.

Namely, an icon of metamorphosis and revelation: The inviting door holds forth the promise of fateful experience, the moment of rebirth and regeneration. hope of perfect understanding , transfiguration and eternity, the non-existence of death.

I am fortnate to have such a coin in my collection:

ROMVLVS, Marcvs Valerivs, Bare head of Romvlvs r."DIVO ROMVLO N V BIS CONS"...(Divo Romulo Nobilissimus Vir, Bis Consul",. Rev : Temple with circular dome, partly open doors, surmounted by eagle standing r. head to l. "AETERNAE - MEMORIAE/ MOSTT"Mint: Ostia, 3rd.officina, 310 AD Follis, Copper.(6,24gr./24mm.12h.) R2.Ref.: :C.6 (10f.)- RIC.34;RCV.15050 (550$)MAR.7-MRK.-

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

For the benefit of new folks seeing this, the Romulus here is the son of Maxentius not the founder of Rome.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Cool coin and story! Thanks for sharing:)
    I'm always on the lookout for old issues of The Celetor on eBay or v coins (though they are often overpriced IMHO). I wish there was another ancient coin mag around...

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Gorgeous example @PMONNEY ! VERY nice. Thanks for the great write-up and references.

I believe mine is very similar to yours, I have two different pics:

RI Romulus 310-311 CE AE25 Domed Shrine doors ajar with sm Eagle.jpg
    RI Valerius ROMULUS 309 CE folles Obv-Rev.JPG
    RI Romulus 310-311 CE AE25 Domed Shrine doors ajar with sm Eagle
    Ex: The help of @John Anthony (yes, the pic on the bottom is his pic - and, in-hand the coin is great!)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

A very sought after coin, well done

[​IMG]
    Romulus, follis Posthumous issue under the reign of his father Maxentius
    Ostia mint, 1st officina, AD 309-310
    DIVO ROMVLO N V BIS CONS, Bare head of Romulus right
    AETERNAE MEMORIAE, Temple with domed roof surmounted by eagle, M OST P at exergue
    7.35 gr
    RCV # 15050 (550), Cohen #6, RIC VI # 34

Q

7. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Not sure if your aware or not but the whole series is on the Vcoin site.....https://community.vcoins.com/the-celator-vol-01-no-01-2/

Ryro likes this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What?!?! Absolutely awesome! You sir are a HERO! Thanks fur the heads up and the link. Though I do prefer to hold the paper in hand. I prefer even more to save money. You can beat slaves and you can beat armies, but you can't beat free!

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

You can always print it off. ..:joyful:

Theodosius and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted