Romulus and Remus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Claudius 11, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Claudius 11

Claudius 11 Active Member

Don`t ask me how i knew but i have always known about a R and R coin maybe a throw back to the the days of stamp or coin collecting as boys but what i did not know untill now is the vast number of variants there are first two are Constantine 1 but different mints the last one is Severus Alexander whom i can`t find in sears tried various shearches and found nearly every Emp bar him. So what R and R do you have rr  .JPG rr.JPG sa.JPG sa  .JPG

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Cucumbor, Jay GT4, ominus1 and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Just the common Constantinian one.

4. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

The Constantinian one has a myriad of variations. Bruck covers them well. Thankfully they reprinted Bruck fairly recently.

I have always thought of maybe collecting these variations. The ChiRo one is the most desired, but I do not think rarest. I have been the underbidder on a couple of ChiRos but never won one. I have quite a few variations with dots, palm fronds, etc in between the stars on the reverse.

Claudius 11 likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Romulus and Remus

upload_2020-3-18_11-21-14.png
    RR Anon AR Denarius 115-114BCE Rome mint 19.52mm 3.82g ROMA X Seated r on shields spear birds she-wolf Romulus Remus Cr 287-1 S 164

RR Anon AE Sextans 217-215 BCE She-Wolf Twins Eagle Syd 95 Cr 39-3 S 609 Scarce.JPG
    RR Anon AE Sextans 217-215 BCE She-Wolf Twins Eagle Syd 95 Cr 39-3 S 609 Scarce

RR Sextus Pompeius 137 BCE AR Den She-Wolf Rom Rem S112 Cr 235-1a.jpg
    RR Sextus Pompeius 137 BCE AR Den She-Wolf Rom Rem S112 Cr 235-1a

7Calbrey, Cucumbor, Jay GT4 and 7 others like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The Severus Alexander one is a provincial from Alexandria Troas.

Andres2, ominus1 and Orielensis like this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..no ancient collection's complete w/o 1 or 2...:) female old believers cross  shewolf coin 004.JPG female old believers cross  shewolf coin 002.JPG

8. Claudius 11

I did eventually find S.Alexander once I spelled his name correctly typical me but what i need to ask is what is Bruck is it affordable

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

https://www.amazon.com/Late-Roman-B...&sr=8-1&swrs=74233BBBE6A6B879B12ED9C5F320DF49
    I'm not suggesting you buy it from Amazon if you can find it cheaper. I really like the book because of the way it points out things that help ID worn coins. Even if you don't buy worn coins, the book points out details of design many of us miss. When I first saw it, the book was only in German. For those of us who read English, I highly recommend the translation.

Claudius 11 likes this.
  10. Tony1982

Tony1982 Well-Known Member

I don’t know much about the varieties of these coins but this is my only one at the moment : FA278FEE-AFCD-4818-BCE4-4453A59F9944.jpeg city commemorative Æ3 VRBS ROMA , bust of Roma left wearing helmet , Rev; Romulus and Remus suckling from wolf. Wreath between two stars above, mintmark TRS (Trier) c332/333 AD

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

May be your only one, but it's a nice one. Nice detail, especially on the wolf.
    URBS Roma 5.jpg Urbs Roma 2.jpg Urbs Roma 1.jpg

12. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

2 Antoniniani with Romulus and Remus reverse , Philippus and Gallienus.

philip123LG.jpg pJB64kX4K8ddcyE9J3oYMtw57RDfP2.jpg

13. Claudius 11

Doug many thanks one on order 6month`s pocket money gone. Really some nice ones turning up unless my eyes deceive me the last two Bing posted look the same mint mark but two different coins. Two different dies from the same mint ?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are many dies for this type. It would be unusual to find a match. Mine is 2.4g making it from the same period as two soldiers, two standards coins. Does anyone have one like this but from the later, lighter 2 soldiers, one standard period?
    rw5410bb2427.jpg

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Roma Commemoratives

[​IMG]
    Rome VRBS ROMA commem 330-331 CE Æ reduced centenionalis, 16mm, 2.5g, 12h; Trier mint, CE 330-331 She-wolf RIC VII 529

[​IMG]
    RI URBS ROMA 223-336 CE Romulus Remus She-wolf S R Alexandria mint AE 15mm 1.5g RIC VIII 8 C2 R

[​IMG]
    RI commem AE Follis Urbs ROMA She-wolf Rom Rem Stars RIC VII Lyons 242

[​IMG]
    RI Commem Urbs Roma AE Follis Thessalonika 330-333 CE She-Wolf Romulus-Remus stars S 16516R

16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

It's a nice theme for a sub-collection I think

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]