Rome the HBO series

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by HAB Peace 28 2.0, Aug 29, 2015.

1. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

I know this isn't coin related, but I just got done watching Rome season 2, on HBO, for the second time lol. It is so good! Why did HBO quit making it? They could of made it into a smash hit?

stevex6, randygeki and Ardatirion like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

$$$
    I think it cost over 100m per season.
    But I think that HBO later said that they regretted cancelling it because they didn't take DVD sales into account or something

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i enjoyed the series very much, and will probably watch it again some day myself. if i remember correctly, they originally planned to go on longer than they did. i think it was a cost of production issue...again, if i remember correctly.

ro1974 likes this.
  5. HAB Peace 28 2.0

Yea I read they were supposed to make a season 3, but stopped production for some reason.

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Not to worry: After all the dramas on TV and movies we still have hundreds of good stories from ancient times. I'll never understand why they feel the need to keep remaking Caesar and Commodus stories. My pick would be the life of Julia Maesa broken into seasons covering her view of Septimius, Caracalla, Elagabalus and Alexander.

7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Sounds like you have a good idea in the making there, Doug.

8. HAB Peace 28 2.0

Caracalla would make a great villain type character.

9. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I'll be all for a series taking place anytime from the era of Constantine to the Gothic War. Closest I've watched to something like that is the BBC miniseries Rise and Fall of Rome, and the '04 film King Arthur.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Still waiting for HBOs "I Claudius."

David Atherton likes this.
  11. chip

chip Novice collector

I would like to see a "Rome" series based on the life of Marius, which would probably be a prequel to the 1st season.

12. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Caracalla is the best ever, what a figure !!

13. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Nice topic:facepalm: this is my only one, Great serie

Magnus Maximus and ValiantKnight like this.
  14. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Not a bad historical docudrama with good production values. Probably one of my favs of the genre.

ro1974 likes this.
  15. David Atherton

Funny you should mention I, Claudius, I'm currently reading the book as a "light summer read". For as good as the old BBC production of it was, it doesn't hold a candle to Graves' dense prose. Although, I can't help but hear Brian Blessed shouting out Augustus' lines and Derek Jacobi's narration while reading it.

Although admittedly, it would be interesting to see a modern take on this.

16. David Atherton

Can you imagine a film about Elagabalus? Too bad Bob Guccione still isn't around to put up the money for it.

TIF likes this.
  17. Dirk D

Dirk D Active Member

I believe there is a movie on Messalina's life which fills in this gap.

18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Yeah, lol. With Quentin Tarantino directing. I'd watch that (alone, with the drapes drawn, while my wife is out of town.)

19. chrsmat71

[​IMG]

:woot:

20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Elagabalus movie would be fun, i'd see it.

Love to see Valerian/Gallienus too. Shapur I was such an important figure during his lifetime, his story deserved to be told, even if some has to be fabricated like most "historical movies".

David Atherton likes this.
  21. chrsmat71

justinian and theodora?

man, so many great stories.

lets pick one, all quit our jobs, and get a kickstarter page going....make this thing happen. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted