Rome Sacked by Alaric and the Visigoths - August 24th, 410

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Aug 24, 2021.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Please share any coins of the rulers of the time...Theodosius II reigned in Constantinople and was unable to intervene. Meanwhile, the pusillanimous Honorius hung out in Ravenna and missed the action.

theosolidus1.jpg

theosolidus2.jpg

honorius3.jpg

Meanwhile, Theodosius II began the construction of the famed Theodosian walls to avoid the fate of Rome...

theowalls.jpg

Jims Coins, DEA, IMP Shogun and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

theoii_a.jpeg
    Theodosius II (402 - 450 A.D.)
    Æ4
    O: D N THEODO-SIVS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: cross in wreath, SMKB in exergue.
    Cyzicus Mint
    1g
    13mm
    RIC X 449

4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..truly a word of description :D

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Nice coins!
    My man Honorius was useless but some coins are pretty cool.
    Honorius AE2.JPG

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i've got a couple of the lil booger who didn't live up to his name...time and again history shows us that just because you are born of an emperor doesn't mean you are cut out to be an emperor...indeed, 97% of the time seems it was a death sentence and an end to your branch of the family/gens IMG_0606.JPG IMG_0607.JPG the small Ae is 13mm

7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Honorius Ravenna, Solidus.jpg

There are two interpretations for the reverse design of this solidus, the first being Honorius with his foot on a captive, the second being Alaric, King of the Visigoths with his foot on Honorius :p.

9. ancient coin hunter

Wishful thinking on the part of the Western Roman Empire's PR department.

ominus1 likes this.
  10. ancient coin hunter

Nice coins all! I do need to pick up a "heavy" Honorius bronze at some point but they are not that common.

11. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

a.c.h., What are the NGC specs on your solidus o_O? The coin has nice luster :happy:.

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My Honorius solidus (RIC X 1287):

Honorius Solidus (example with Sear Certificate) high contrast.jpg

13. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

Oh well, what can you expect from someone whose pet was a chicken?

9Laiez8MG6rg2tDyN7CfAw3W5ZkPJp.jpg 9LxTRbZ48Qkke7SdDn5sc2bJ3iBsdz.jpg

14. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Theodosius II:
    Rom – Theodosius II, AE4, Kreuz.png
    Theodosius II, Roman Empire, AE4, 425–235 AD, Heraclea mint. Obv: DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG; bust of Theodosius II, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: Cross within a wreath; in exergue, SMHA. 11mm, 0.88g. Ref: RIC X Theodosius II (East) 442.

And here is Honorius on horseback, trying to get as much distance as possible between himself and the angry Visigoths:
    Rom – Honorius, AE3, Reiter (Gloria Romanorum),.png
    Honorius, Roman Empire, AE3, 392–395 AD, Cyzicus mint. Obv: DN HONORIVS PF AVG; bust of Honorius, draped, cuirassed, and diademed, r. Rev: GLORIA ROMANORVM; emperor on horseback r., raising r. hand; in exergue, SMKA. 17mm, 1.80g. Ref: RIC IX Cyzicus 29c.

15. iameatingjam

iameatingjam Well-Known Member

DonnaML likes this.
  16. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks! I agree, even though David Sear graded it as only "almost EF" -- not that I care in the least!

Sear Certificate original.jpg

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I believe what we see here is what would be called 'net grading' where the grade is reduced a little or a lot for faults. The certificate mentions a slight bend in the flan which could have been worse making the coin overall a VF. Before NGC introduced their numbering system and added grades above EF based solely on wear, ancient coins topped out at EF except for the rare FDC (fleur de coin) properly used for only perfect examples. The coin is very nice but I believe most old school graders would accept "almost EF" as fair. Some purists would see the wear on the hair right of the diadem and say it was overgraded. That is why Sear placed that disclaimer paragraph at the bottom and why you are 110% correct not to "care in the least". I am not a professional grader and have never been solicited to become one BUT I would expect this coin to get a 'Fine Style' on a current slab recognizing the fact that the portrait makes Honorius look like a

How many kids who grew up while dad was in power turned out to be strong and 'good' emperors? Titus and Constantine I were adults when their fathers rose to power. Constantius II, perhaps?

Siliqua, Mediolanum, clashed dies, ex. Ken Dorney 1998
    ry8000bb1674.jpg

AE
    This one is so bad it is good and, better, identifiable ORIVS.
    ry8010bb1141.jpg ry8040bb1751.jpg ry8050bb2271.jpg ry8060bb1170.jpg

As a representative coin of Honorius, I prefer this type showing the three emperors scaled by height. For about ten, Honorius almost seems tall. Mine is a little tight but many of these are off center or small flan enough to make it hard to tell who is on the obverse.
    ry8070bb1551.jpg

Honorius was emperor in the West but almost all of his bronze coins we see were from Eastern mints. Who has a Western bronze? Is this a case where gold is more common than bronze?

18. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Silver coin (Siliqua) minted at Mediolanum (Milan) MDPS, during the reign of HONORIUS in 402 A.D. Obv. D.N.HONORIVS.P.F.AVG. Pearl- Diad., draped, & cuir. bust r. Rev. VIRTVS.ROMANORVM. Roma seated l. on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear. RCS #4250. RICX #1228. RSC #591b. KKG-411 OBVCR.jpg KKG-411 REVCR.jpg

19. Jims Coins

- Bronze coin (AE4) minted during the reign of THEODOSIUS II between 425 - 435 A.D. Obv. D.N.THEODOSIVS.P.F.AVG. diad., dr. & cuir. bust right. Rev. No legend. Cross in wreath. RCS #4297. DVM #36 pg.327. KT-326 OBV.jpg KT-326 REV.jpg

20. Jims Coins

KKD-61 REV.jpg . Smyrna - Bronze coin (AE 3) minted at CONST = Arelate France during the reign of HONORIUS between 393 - 423 A.D. Obv. D.N.HONORIVS.P.F.AVG. Rev. VIRTVS.EXERCITI. Honorius standing, facing r., crowned y Victory standing l., beside him. RCS #4256.

KKD-61 OBV.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted