Romans coins found in Japanese castle

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by noname, Sep 27, 2016.

1. noname

noname Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I just saw this on my newsfeed this morning. Only one photo of the "Roman" coin, perhaps barbarous. Doesnt matter though if it is imitative or not. But the article lacks details (specifically if they were excavated directly or just 'found'). Ancient coins turn up in the strangest of places, but it doesnt always mean there are aliens out there or some secret trade routes. But, always interesting.

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Come on now Ken, clearly Aliens made the coins and built the castle, and put the coins in the castle so that 1,600 years later the humans would discover it and know of the massive illuminati/alien/lizard people conspiracy.

ilJZ8Vp.jpg

5. Ken Dorney

Every time someone posts a picture of that guy I laugh! But, I cant bring myself to watch any of those shows! I wonder if he knows he is a laughing stock?

Hispanicus and Paul M. like this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

7. Ken Dorney

There have been threads like this before, but I will relate again my one story. I was at the local post office (Redding, California) picking up mail. On returning to my car I barely noticed a coin in the parking lot. Being the son of a very poor Irish immigrant I was always taught to pick up coins, penny or otherwise. So I doubled back and picked it up. Turns out it was a Chinese Song Dynasty coin, about 1,000 years old. How did it get there? Who knows. Chinese were instrumental in California history, many coming here to work the railroads (and elsewhere). But, Redding? A small tiny town in the backwoods? But, even as small as our community is, there was a rich Chinese history. In some places one can still dig out broken Chinese pottery from the old settlements. So, I figure that coin was either brought to this country by those Chinese immigrants and ultimately passed down and lost in the parking lot, or maybe some collector simply lost it out of their pocket. Sadly, it had no monetary value, it had been run over by countless cars so that it was barely recognizable (except to me, likely none others here). Dont remember what I did with it. I think I gave it away.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think he was left by the aliens.

Sallent likes this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

He's a reality star, so yes he knows that nobody takes him seriously but he's got a job to do and needs a paycheck. He's well aware that what he's saying is complete bull, but it's all in good fun!

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I asked the below in 2009 right here on CT but got no reply, I have not found it again nor have I recalled where I first heard it. It is a good example showing that anything can turn up anywhere. It does seem that there is a movie script waiting to be written about a ship of Allectus fleeing the Romans and making the crossing to the New World. To be credited with discovery, you have to return and find what you saw. There will be no proof of truth or fiction of one way voyages. I personally like the dredge gravel option.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  11. JeffsRealm

JeffsRealm Active Member

There is a more recent one of Roman Sword and Coins found in Canada. With Picture of the coins.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/history/628827/ANCIENT-ROMANS-America-eerie-discovery-change-history

However a book done by a historian Gloria Farley outlines not one but several Roman coin finds that have been documented in North America.
    http://www.gloriafarley.com/chap11.htm

Oh and to note one of the other theories how roman coins managed to get to america is through Vikings. Plundering Europe and the Early English countryside which was not long after Romans left.

12. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

JeffsRealm likes this.
  13. Ken Dorney

Yes, and a bade fake at that. Purely fantasy and no relation to any actual sword. Funny, the article shows a coin, "Gold Carthage coins were found in Canada", but shows what looks like a bronze from Castulo.

JeffsRealm likes this.
  14. Victor_Clark

The article is about Oak Island though...so it's pseudoarchaeology

15. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

My only accidental coin find a few years ago is not really spectacular, but..well, odd, and first hand. I was at a camping site on a hill slope in a forest in the Alpes de Provence in south France. The ground had be recently leveled at multiple spots to make space for tents. I thought i saw a euro cent sticking out of the soil. But instead it turned out to be an English 1864 queen Victoria farthing. Still wondering how it got there. Image if it would have been found 1000 years later. Might then be considered the definite proof that Victoria was also queen of France.

Hispanicus likes this.
  16. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Not questioning your judgement on the sword but how would you know from pictures that it is a fantasy piece or Bade Fake. I for one have no idea concerning it's authenticity only curiosity.

17. Victor_Clark

It just doesn't look right and is not made like any ancient Roman sword I have ever seen- one big problem is it is cast...and all in one piece. The patina also looks fake, especially considering that this sword was supposedly found under water. Plus it is associated with Oak Island :rolleyes:

You can also occasionally find this same fantasy sword for sale-
    Fantasy sword for sale on eBay
    IMG_6198.JPG

18. Ken Dorney

A very honest and good question. How do we know? Experience. There has never been any sword, dagger, weapon, etc. that ever looked like that. Never. Well, not until now I guess. Those of us who have a lot of books and published material to draw on can identify it as a fake right off. But it is not just the style. Victor already pointed out it is cast. Many weapons were cast, but finished by hammering and sharpening. Plus, the patina is chemically applied. Honestly, to me it looks like a very common type currently produced in China. I would be shocked it if didnt originate there.

19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I got the same gut feeling.

20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Hey, why not.

I found a Roman coin right here in Georgia, of all places.

They got around.

PS- I should add that when I finally got to England to go detecting, I didn't find any Roman coins, though a fella in our group dug a Marcus Aurelius sestertius right near me on my first outing there.

So my oldest coin find to date was in... Georgia.

(And the American Georgia, not the one near Russia.)

(Oldest I dug in England was a ca. 1300-1310 Edward I penny.)

21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's a cool find. This is what happens when coins get lost in the mail - they end up in the ocean only to be washed ashore years later or in a parking lot after having fallen out of someone's pocket.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted