Romancollector's top 20 of 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Romancollector, Dec 4, 2020.

?

Which of the first top 10 is your favourite?

1. Sabinus denarius

27.1%
  2. Regulus denarius

12.5%
  3. Octavian denarius

54.2%
  4. Augustus denarius

41.7%
  5. Claudius sestertius

20.8%
  6. Antoninus Pius aureus

43.8%
  7. Gordian III sestertius

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Maximian follis

4.2%
  9. Constantius I follis

8.3%
  10. Honorius solidus

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice bull - that's the one I voted for.

Romancollector likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Way to go! Nice top ten!
    I would pick the Honorius AV Solidus, and the Ant. Pius Aureus:D if I had to pick two for my collection.
    Your pictures are very well done.....better then me.
    John

4. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Yes, we can dream. And dreams are FREE! :)
    Today I dreamt about starting a collection of gold coins. If I ever do, I won’t finish it before next life, and that’s the soonest.

Romancollector and panzerman like this.
  5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

All are really great coins @Romancollector but the Sabinus/Tarpeia, Octavian/Curia Julia, and the A-Pi Aureus are all stand outs. Excellent year.

Clavdivs likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Octavian knocked my sox off.

[​IMG]

Oh my. An aureus has to top my list, simply because that is something I have always wanted and am unlikely to ever be able to afford (unless I sold a bunch of stuff to build up a "war chest", which I'm unlikely to have the stamina to do).

[​IMG]

OK, I admit it. I am bedazzled by gold. Is that shallow of me?

[​IMG]

Honorable mention: I admired this in the first pic, but once I saw the toning pop in the second one, I immediately clicked and voted for it. But then you had to throw two pieces of gold out there and I had to reallocate my votes. So this one fell to #4, but still...

[​IMG]

Actually, y'know, Octavian and Augustus could arm-wrestle (hey- same guy, different names- does that mean he'd have to arm-wrestle himself- use his left hand to wrestle with his right hand? I digress.) Anyway, those two could arm-wrestle each other and I might pick one one day and the other the next day. It would be a tough choice.

7. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

A wonderful selection. The Octavian curia denarius is one
    I've long wanted - an enviable example

8. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Not sure how I missed this thread! All of the coins are superb but your Octavian Senate House is incredible. Congratulations on a great year!

lordmarcovan and Romancollector like this.
  9. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Beautiful group of coins - I'm split between the Augustus/bull denarius and the Claudius sestertius as my favorites. All are great examples!

11. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Okay, so...I've been a bit busy with exams and all, but I am finally posting part 2 of my top 20 of 2020. So here they are! Once again, the order is strictly chronological and has nothing to do with my ranking of the coins.

Roman Republic:
    M. Aburius M. f. Geminus (132 BC)

AR Denarius
    Geminus denarius redone.jpg
    Date: 132 BC
    Obv: Helmeted head of Roma right; GEM behind; XVI monogram below chin.
    Rev: Sol driving galloping quadriga right, M ABVRI below horses; ROMA in exergue.
    Diameter: 19mm
    Weight: 3.92 grams
    Crawford 250/1
    Mint: Rome
    Ex: Roma Numismatics, Numismatica Ars Classica (Auction 52, 7 October 2009, 223)

While this coin is common, I was drawn to its beautiful golden toning!

Roman Republic:
    L. Marcius Philippus (113-112 BC)

AR Denarius
    L Philippus denarius.jpg
    Date: 113-112 BC
    Obv: Head of Philip V of Macedon right, wearing diademed royal Macedonian helmet with goat horns; Roma monogram to upper left, Φ below chin.
    Rev: Equestrian statue right on tablet ins-cribed L•PHILIPPVS, holding laurel branch; flower below horse; mark of value in ex.
    Weight: 3.72 grams
    Crawford 293/1
    Ex: Roma Numismatics, Andrew McCabe Collection; H.D. Rauch GmbH (Dec 2012)

What can I say? It is such a beautiful coin in hand. I liked the fact that it depicted a foreign monarch, who was a formidable opponent of Rome. Crawford suggests that the depiction of Philip was an allusion to the moneyer's cognomen, Philippus. I've read elsewhere that the moneyer's ancestor may have negotiated a treaty with the king. In any case, I believe it is a fascinating coin and I intend to examine its history further.

Roman Republic:
    M. Herennius (108-107 BC)

AR Denarius
    M Herennius denarius.jpg
    Date: 108-107 BC
    Obv: Head of Pietas right, wearing stephane; PIETAS downwards behind.
    Rev: Amphinomus running right, carrying his father; M•HERENNI downwards behind, control mark before.
    Weight: 3.91 grams
    Crawford 308/1b
    Ex: Roma Numismatics, Numismatica Ars Classica

I liked this coin because of its depiction of filial piety; an ideal which was fundamental to Roman society. It reminded me of the denarii issued by Caesar depicting Aeneas carrying Anchises on his shoulder. But here, we have an earlier depiction of this ideal on a coin. It features one of the brothers from Catana, Amphinomus, carrying his father after the eruption of Etna.

Roman Empire:
    Antoninus Pius (AD 138-161)

AE Sestertius
    Antoninus Pius sestertius.jpg
    Date: AD 145-147
    Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP TR P, laureate bust right.
    Rev: AVG IIII COS IIII, Emperor seated on platform, hand outstretched, officer to right, Liberalitas to left with cornucopiae and distributing coins from counting board to citizen at left; SC on platform, LIBERALITAS below.
    Diameter: 34mm
    Weight: 24.98 grams
    RIC III 774
    Ex: CNG, the BLS Collection

I am fond of sestertii and I was impressed with this coin's reverse. It depicts the liberalitas (munificence or generosity) of the emperor. This is one of those coins that is incredibly difficult to photograph. I didn't bother posting my own photo of it because it does this a coin a disservice. However, I will get around to rephotographing it...eventually.

Roman Empire:
    Septimius Severus (AD 193-211)

AE Sestertius
    upload_2020-12-18_17-51-8.png upload_2020-12-18_17-52-28.png
    Date: AD 196
    Obv: SEPT SEV PE-RT AVG IMP VIII, laureate, cuirassed bust of Septimius Severus right, seen from behind.
    Rev: P M TR P IIII CO-S II P P, Victory advancing left, wreath upward in right hand, palm in left; S-C across fields.
    Diameter: 33mm
    Weight: 25.51 grams
    RIC IV.I 725
    Ex: Heritage Auctions

I've always wanted a sestertius of Severus, and specifically, one with an earlier portrait. While the coin has its flaws, I thought the portrait and the green patina were excellent! I am still waiting for this coin, but it will hopefully arrive next week.

Roman Empire:
    Maximinus I (AD 235-238)

AE Sestertius
    Maximinus I sestertius.jpg
    Date: late AD 236-237
    Obv: MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM, laureate draped bust right.
    Rev: SALVS AVGVSTI S-C, Salus seated left, feeding snake rising from altar.
    Diameter: 30mm
    Weight: 21.59 grams
    Mint: Rome, 3rd emission
    RIC IV 85
    Ex: CNG, the Summer Haven Collection

I was very impressed with the portrait on this coin, and I thought it would compliment my denarius of the emperor. I wanted this coin when it originally popped up in a CNG e-auction, but I didn't end up bidding on it. So I was quite happy to win when it reappeared in a later CNG e-auction!

Roman Empire:
    Maximinus II (AD 310-313)

BI Follis
    [​IMG]

Date: AD 312.
    Obv: IMP C GAL VAL MAXIMINVS P F AVG, laureate head right.
    Rev: HERCVLI VICTORI, Hercules standing right, leaning on club; star above Γ left field, SNN in exergue.
    Diameter: 23mm
    Weight: 4.45 grams
    Mint: Nicomedia
    RIC VI 75
    Ex: Roma Numismatics, Gorny & Mosch Giessener Münzhandlung (Auction 152, 10 October 2006, lot 2424).

I have yet to photograph this coin. In addition to its silvering, I was drawn to the coin's depiction of a Farnese-esque Hercules.

Roman Empire:
    Constantius II (AD 337-361)

AR Light Miliarense
    [​IMG]
    Date: AD 350-355
    Obv: DN CONSTANTIVS PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: VIRTVS EXERCITVS, soldier standing, head left, holding spear and shield; Mintmark TES.
    Weight: 4.35 grams
    Mint: Thessalonica
    RIC VIII 203
    Ex: Tauler & Fau

I've wanted this type for a while, specifically from the Thessalonica mint. It was just a matter of waiting for the right example to pop up. Unfortunately, this is another coin that I'm still waiting for....

Roman Empire:
    Eugenius (AD 392–394)

AR Siliqua
    [​IMG]
    Date: AD 392-394
    Obv: D N EVGENI–VS P F AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: VIRTVS RO–MANORVM, Roma seated l. on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reverted spear; in exergue, TRPS.
    Diameter: 16mm
    Weight: 1.71 grams
    Mint: Trier
    RIC IX 106d
    Ex: Numismatica Ars Classica, SKA sale 4 (1985, 644)

This is actually an upgrade from my previous example, which was featured in last year's list. This is another coin that I can't seem to photograph well. I will attempt to rephotograph it in the coming days.

Roman Empire:
    Marcian (AD 450-457)

AV Tremissis
    Marcian Tremissis enlarged.jpg
    Date: AD 450
    Obv: D N MARCIANVS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVGVSTORVM, Victory walking right, looking left, holding wreath and cross on globe, star to right. Mintmark CONOB.
    Diameter: 16.5mm
    Weight: 1.48 grams
    Mint: Constantinople
    RIC X 520
    Ex: CNG

I'm ending my top 2020 with this beautiful little tremissis that was purchased prior to COVID!

I've thoroughly enjoyed looking at your top 10s/20s and hope you've enjoyed looking at mine!

[​IMG]

All the best for 2021!
    Rc

akeady, Fugio1, nicholasz219 and 6 others like this.
  12. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

All are stunning beauties! You have a fruitful coin collecting this year. Thanks for sharing.

13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Awesome stuff! How did I miss your list the first time around? The Augustus bull and Octavian Temple are my favorite, and from the second list, the A-Pi Liberalitas and Constantius II. Great taste and great eye!

14. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Really beautiful examples of the highest quality.

15. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

I like the portrait and the deep brown coloring! nice Top 10.

16. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Yeaaahhh ummm not sure if I'll vote here... they're ALL incredible!

Draft saved Draft deleted