Roman Vota types

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Dec 10, 2013.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I was digging through my gallon jar of LRB’s (you’ve all got one, right?) and came across a few fairly respectable Constantines with votum reverses. I thought it might make a good thread to post coins that feature vota types. I found some succinct definitions on David Sear’s site...

"Vota: (plural of votum). A vow made to a god in order to obtain a divine favor stipulated in advance. The granting of the request obliged the vower to fulfill his promise. This usually took the form of a sacrifice to the deity or an offering to his (or her) temple. Public vota in Imperial times were normally for the welfare of the emperor over a stated period of time (five or ten years) and were regularly undertaken (vota suscepta) and hopefully paid (vota soluta). Sometimes they were more specific, relating to the safety of the emperor on a particularly hazardous journey or military campaign, or the current state of his health. The undertaking and fulfillment of these public vows was frequently recorded on the coinage and in the late Empire especially may provide useful evidence for the chronological arrangement of issues."

“May provide” are key words here. I’ve read (I’m not sure where - probably in RIC) that if a particular votum was not associated with the celebration of an emperor’s anniversary of rule, using numbers to date the coin can be problematic, unless the votum in question is recorded to have occurred on a specific date. David Sear also gives a simple explanation of the the anniversaries...

"Decennalia: the tenth anniversary of an emperor's rule, marked by the redemption of previous vows (vota soluta) and the undertaking of new ones (vota suscepta). It was often commemorated on the coinage by a depiction of the emperor sacrificing at an altar or by an inscription within a votive wreath. The quinquennalia (five years) and vicennalia (twenty years) were similarly celebrated, the latter of course far less frequently."

In the case of the following coin, the appearance of the inscription VOT XXX follows directly on the heels of Constantine’s vicennalia of July 325, and it’s assumed with confidence that this votum is associated with his 20th anniversary celebration.

Constantine I, 272-337
    AE3: 20mm, 2.7g, 12h; Heraclea mint: 326
    Obv.: CONSTANTINVS AVG; Laureate head right
    Rev.: D N CONSTANTINI MAX AVG; laurel wreath enclosing VOT/XXX // SMHBdot
    Reference: RIC VII, Heraclea 82 (p. 552)

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I have the same type.

[​IMG]
    Constantine (307 - 337 A.D.)
    AE3
    O:CONSTANTINVS AVG, diademed head right, ladder-shaped diadem with dots in segments
    R: DN CONSTANTINI MAX AVG around VOT XXX in wreath, dot SMHA in ex.
    Heraclea Mint 326 - 327 A.D.
    19mm
    2.8g
    RIC VII 90

Another vota:
    [​IMG]

vlaha, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 3 others like this.
  4. John Anthony

An interesting collection would be to assemble all the different diadems from this mint. Here's a scan of the footnote on p. 538 of RIC VII...

[​IMG]

Yours would be diadem B.

Eng likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wonder if anyone has even done so. It would sure be a challenge.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I know this is not exactly what you had in mind, but it is a "VOTA" type:
    Geta4_opt.jpg

Geta AR Denarius
    OBV: GETA CAES PONT COS, draped bust right
    REV: VOTA PVBLICA, Geta standing left, sacrificing out of patera over tripod & holding roll
    Struck 205AD
    3.18g, 18mm
    RIC IV 38b

vlaha, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  7. Bing

And another type:
    Caracalla 7.jpg
    Caracalla AR Denarius
    OBV: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    REV: VOTA SVSCEPTA X, Caracalla veiled, standing left, sacrificing out of patera over tripod altar
    Struck 206-210 AD
    3.4g, 18mm
    RIC 179

8. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Here's one of mine..

Constantine l 322-325..AD..
    AE 3 follis
    Ob.Constantine l bust right.
    Rev. wreath ..vot dot xx cresent..
    19mm x 3.38g.
    Mint T T Ticinum..
    DSC04653_opt (1).jpg
    DSC04654_opt.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    vlaha, stevex6, chrsmat71 and 2 others like this.
  9. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

A little different vot coin..
    Constantine l
    AE follis.
    Ob. Constantine l bust right..
    Rev. vot pr on alter
    20mm x 2.60g.
    Mint Arles..A cresent w/star A
    DSC04648_opt.jpg
    DSC04649_opt.jpg

vlaha, Bing, chrsmat71 and 1 other person like this.
  10. John Anthony

I had any and all in mind - there are quite a few fascinating types from the earlier emperor's - some of my favorites are the denarii of Hadrian sacrificing at an altar.

11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

here's a vot of magnentius...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vlaha, stevex6, Bing and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Another of mine I rarely share on here.

[​IMG]
    Severus Alexander (222 - 235 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: IMP SEV ALE-XAND AVG, Laureate head right.
    R: VICTORIA AVGVSTI, Victory standing right, left foot on helmet, inscribing VOT X on shield.
    Rome 231
    2.2g
    18mm
    RIC 219, RSC 566a, BMC 638 (Scarce)

This type refers to the initial victories won against the Persians in 231 A.D.

vlaha, stevex6, Bing and 2 others like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You have to be the last man standing to redeem your XXX and renew for XXXX as on these two siliquae of Constantius II from Arles and Thessalonica.

rx6360bb2249.jpg rx6550bb2241.jpg
    I prefer types with something other than a wreath. This Constantine I has a Vota banner.
    rx4950bb0925.jpg
    While the coin does not say Vota, Roma is inscribing XV on the shield of both Constantine and Crispus. It seems that the numbers should not match. Is this a Vota type?
    rx4800b01550alg.jpg rx5690b00673lg.jpg

Sallent, vlaha, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I too have a jar for LRBs. My jar only has a dozen coins that barely cover the bottom. :D These are remnants of some $0.40 coins that I could not positively identify this last summer. Left in the container is this one VOT coin which looks like it may have been brick-cleaned at one time. It weighs 3.73 grams and is 21.3 mm. I figured this one might be Constantine I or Licinius but without a good match it never made it into a flip. The reverse reads VOT/XX/FK. Perhaps you experts can teach me some things about this one (or is it too far gone)?
    IMG_6132.jpg
    IMG_6131.jpg

vlaha, stevex6 and Bing like this.
  15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

100_5586.JPG 100_5600.JPG j018.JPG bc4642.JPG

Attached Files:

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My guess is Maximianus. It is definitely a post reform radiate of Carthage mint. I don't have one but have the matching Diocletian. I believe I see IMPCMAX at the left and definitely see VSPFAVG at the right so we need to guess at the IMIAN in the middle. rx3375bb2684.jpg

Collect89, vlaha and Bing like this.
  17. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I bought this recently , its part of the Mossy Bottom Barn hoard ....... and I think its
    Postumus AR Antoninianus. Cologne mint. IMP C POSTVMVS PF AVG, radiate, draped bust right / PM TRP X COS V PP, Victory standing right, foot on globe, inscribing VO XX on shield. RIC V-II Cologne 295; Sear (1988) 3124; Elmer 595; Cunetio 2469.
    post.jpg

vlaha, John Anthony and Bing like this.
  18. Bing

I have a lot of LRB Vota types, so I'll just post a few.
    Constantine_I_1_opt.jpg

Constantine I AE3

vlaha, stevex6 and John Anthony like this.
  19. Bing

Constantine_I_21_opt.jpg
    Constantine I AE3

20. Bing

Constantine_I_23_opt.jpg
    Constantine I AE3

21. Bing

Constantine_II_16.jpg

Constantine II AE3

Draft saved Draft deleted