Roman Silver Denarius - need help in identifying these

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by coin007, May 6, 2013.

1. coin007

coin007 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Condition being everything, you may compare but I would not place yours as equal. Add to that my opinion that the coins you link are considerably overpriced. Dealers have to decide if they want a small profit and rapid turn over or if they what to take a while to find someone to buy the coins and make a killing on whatever sells. Both coins are relatively common so what you are selling here is grade rather than rarity. Compare:

rs4410bb0233.jpg

4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

CGB has a very high overhead, and thus high prices. Everything they sell is beautifully over cataloged and presented in a rather attractive fixed price list. Good for looking up your coins in, bad for buying from.

5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Forgive me but over cataloged or not $165 for a very common 2-3rd century denarius. Is highway robbery bordering on extortion, designed to take advantage of people who don't know better. I have seen some sellers ask $75 for a common 4th century Constantine era bronze, and know the coin is worth $15 at most. What kind of overhead could the possibly be paying? This is what gets me the most angry with ancient dealers. Noone "expertise" at looking a coin up in a book is worth that. Its the equivalent of a $12 ($1)beer at Disney.

Anyone want to buy one of my common denarius for $165? I paid $30. Anyone?

6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I don't agree with their pricing and would never buy from them, just pointing out the facts. :)

But I do think that proper cataloging can add value to a coin. I've seen it happen. It's why certain firms (CGB for example) can even try to list coins at such prices.

7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

With all the YN coming up, these "firms" will fail. New, young guys are smart and informed and will not be fooled, by some geezer with a catalogue, for very long.
    (no offence to any geezers or catalogues)

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

geezer? Did someone mention geezer? :hail:

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Man, I'm sorry, but I have zero-faith in dudes that post their very first post and state "hey, what is this coin? ... oh, and what is it worth?"

Yah, maybe I'm wrong? ... maybe you're anxious to become a big-time ancient-coin collector? (how do you like me so far?)

My name is stevex6 and I'm a coinaholic ...

;)

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Maybe I should push-away from the computer and go to bed, eh? .... *yawn* ... *burp*

coin007 => I "hope" that I am incorrect and that you will become one of our coin-comrades (cheers)

:cheers:

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

So, Steve, is it time we swear off even offering help to those who only want to know how much their coin is worth? A coin is worth what you can get someone to pay for it. If the buyer is an oil sheikh or invented the Internet, $165 is no more valuable than the dime I found on the sidewalk today. I know restaurants with food no better than Taco Bell but that use better silverware and charge $165 for dinner. If you tell people that their coin is not worth a million, a certain percentage will call you a crook trying to steal away their treasure. Maybe it is time to just let them believe what they will.

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

My point is => "some" dudes roll-in and post one of their Grand-dad's coins and ask how much it's worth ... seriously?

I have zero time for that => I actually "like/love" coins and I don't log-on to get rid of them ... I didn't join-up to find out how much my Granny's coins were worth => I joined-up to find out more about gathering new coins, etc => not off-load my heist, or to unload my inheritance!!

=> but again, I may be totally off-base? =>

13. coin007

coin007 New Member

Sorry if my inquiry may have come off the wrong way. I bought these two while I was in Israel last week. The dealer told me it was from Ceasar's time. I was looking not just for an ancient coin, but also one that has a Biblical connection so when he said that it was from Ceasar's time I remembered the verse where Jesus was asked about paying taxes and said Give to Ceasar what is Ceasar's. Unfortunately after searching online I found out that it is from a different emperor so that is why I was curious to find out its value. I could care less about the value if this was really from Ceasar's time as I just wanted one with a Biblical connection and being from the Philippines I don't think there are a lot of dealers here and even if there were I would doubt its authenticity. In line with that, I don't plan on selling these too because I wouldn't know a lot of people who would buy these anyway and there probably won't be a lot of collectors of these here too. I hope that clarifies things. I'm not sure if I want to be a collector since like I said I wouldn't know where to get more anyway here in our country, but I'm very curious and interested in all these which is why I signed up for this forum in the first place. Thanks for all your comments though I appreciate it!

14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well, they're certainly nice coins, 007 - I'd be happy to own them myself. And welcome to the forum. Stick around for a while and you might get bit by the collecting bug. I'll venture there are more ancient coin collectors in the Philippines than you think.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

coin007 => oh great, what are the odds that I lash-out at a legitimate coin-collector, rather than one of the random dudes that are merely trying to fence their unwanted coins? (well, apparently the odds are very good!!)

Sorry about that, dude ... I mistook you for another fly-by-night drifter, rather than somebody actually wanting some information for "coin-reasons" (again, my face is red from embarrassment) ... I hope that you have a great time learning from the coin gurus that frequent this site (ummm, pretty much all of them say nicer things than I say) ...

Oh well, enough of that ... if history repeats itself, then you probably won't be the last guy that I upset during my stay here (unfortunately, my personality occasionally gets me into a few tight-spots every now and then => live by the sword, die by the sword)

=> Hi, my name is stevex6 and I'm a total ****

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

17. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Well, since emperors had Caesar as one of their titles, it would not be totally wrong to say these came from the reign of Caesar. It's just that they're not from the Biblical Caesar, Tiberius. One on the left coin I cant make out but the second is definitely Septimius Severus.

18. coin007

coin007 New Member

Thanks! Yeah for me they did seem quite authentic because it wasn't perfect as I usually doubt more perfect ones to be fakes (though I'm certainly no expert). I do hope so that there would be more because it's really interesting! I love the idea of having a piece of history not just for what it's worth, but more of its significance!

19. coin007

coin007 New Member

No worries! I wouldn't actually consider myself a coin collector just yet, but I'm just generally curious about things and since I did spend for this then I thought I should look more into it. Thanks and I look forward to learning more!

20. coin007

coin007 New Member

Funny way to look at it, but I think he did mean the Biblical Ceasar when he sold it to me. In fact, he even told me one was the Ceasar and the other was his wife and that's why I bought both because he pitched it as a pair. Although I know it's also my fault for not checking, but I didn't have internet there and we were leaving the next day. Anyway what's done is done and there's not much I can do anyway so I'll just have to take it as a learning experience.

21. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Better pictures would help - we could do an accurate attribution. I don't think they're fake offhand, but a good clear close-up would be very helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted