Roman silver coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, May 1, 2016.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Gregory XI
    , Papal States

AR bolognino
    Obv: ·S· PETRVS· P, mitred bust facing
    Rev: +DE·ROMA·, in center: ·V·R·B·I· in angles, in pattern of short cross
    Mint: Rome; struck 1370-1378
    Ref: Berman 209

Ah ha! I'll bet you were expecting a denarius, right? :D Well we're over a thousand years removed from your Trajans, Hadrians, Vespasians, etc. with this recent acquisition of mine. If it was illegal for a coin to be very attractive, this one would be an upstanding, law-abiding citizen, but I like Rome, and I like the European Middle Ages, so a coin from medieval Rome (aside from early Byzantine and Gothic Rome-mint coins) was on my list for a while, and from my searching, medieval Roman coins are not that common, so I'm glad I got this at a decent price I could agree on. What I really want though is a 7th-8th century Papal monogram silver coin from Rome, but that's another, very expensive story.

If you look closely at the reverse, you will notice that it is mistruck.

This AR bolognino was struck under the pontificate of Gregory XI, who was Pope from 1370 to 1378.

[​IMG]

Gregory XI was born as Pierre Roger de Beaufort, in France around 1329-1330. When he succeeded Urban V as Pope, the Papacy had been based in Avignon, France since 1309. The War of the Eight Saints between a coalition of Italian city-states and the Avignon Papacy, and the influence of Catherine of Siena both helped to contribute to Gregory XI's decision to move the Papal court back to Rome in 1377.

During Gregory's papacy, the Papacy took harsher measures against a reform movement called Lollardism, which included burning at the stake. The Church also sought to combat corrupt practices by some of its own clergy, including charging fees from pilgrims to access holy sites, and the passing off of fake saint relics as authentic. Gregory XI himself helped establish peace between Sicily and Naples.

Gregory did not last long in Rome, dying on March 27, 1378. After his death, the Romans pressured the College of Cardinals to choose an Italian as Pope, Urban VI. But the cardinals quickly grew to dislike Urban, and they moved to Fondi and chose an opposing Pope, Clement VII. Clement and the cardinals then made Avignon their base. This began the Western Schism that lasted until 1417.

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Gregory_XI

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    JBGood, randygeki, icerain and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You certainly got me. My, my, my; how Rome and it's coinage changed, eh?

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very interesting VK. Thanks for the great writeup. I have not yet made any forays into mediaeval coinage, but they are tempting.

Mikey Zee and ValiantKnight like this.
  5. ValiantKnight

Yup, from ruler of an empire to center of a religion. Interesting though if you think about it; even though Rome no longer directly controlled its old lands, it (by way of the Church) still held considerable influence over Christian Europe.

6. noname

noname Well-Known Member

I found it a little suspicious when the title simply read "Roman silver coin"

df oieddno edinssd likes this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Oh yeah. As much as things change, they never change. Politics and religion that is. But the coinage? Well, that's another matter all together.

8. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

http://www.amazon.com/handbook-papa...d=1462159592&sr=8-1&keywords=john+carlin+ryan

I wonder if any of you have seen the above book. It was written by a friend from the DC club and was intended to be the first of several volumes but the Berman book covered the larger view and John's book ending with 1534 sold poorly. It was the first book for which I did the photos. I had a great deal of trouble eve telling which way was up on some of the coins. I have never seen the Berman book and never had any interest in the coins. From what I can see, your variation is not listed in it. The only bolognino had the obverse legend GG PP VND. The photos were before digital and I no longer have the negatives. There are only half a dozen plates with perhaps 50 coins total shown and a line drawing or two for each pope. This brings back memories.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coin vk, looks like this type is a bit affordable. Now it's on my list.

This boards costs me too much:confused:

11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Congrats on another coin that fits your niche, VK!

Amazon said that book was collectible, so I took them at their word and collected it. Next time we see each other in Baltimore, I'll ask you to autograph it for me. :)

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No copies of that book exist with my autograph. There is exactly one of the Failmezger book which has both our autographs. Demand suggests this is not a collectible item.

13. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Love it! And such an influential figure too as you say.

14. monetarium

monetarium Member

Very interesting! Congratulations!

15. ValiantKnight

16. ValiantKnight

The original photos show the details well but I never really liked the color of the coin, so here are some new and improved photos that are more accurate:

gregory.png

17. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

A medieval coin from Rome, cool! Coin appears more attractive in the new and improved photos.

18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

cool new medieval coin VK!

19. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I am guilty of buying the Allen Berman book and (since I do not actually collect Papal coins) not buying any other references.

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted