ROMAN SESTERTIUS - Britain’s rarest coin in an amazing state of preservation

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by SwK, Oct 3, 2014.

1. SwK

SwK Junior Member

ROMAN Brass Sestertius of Emperor Hadrian AD 117-38

Britain’s rarest coin in an amazing state of preservation.

[​IMG]

The high relief work of a master die-engraver represents the rarest of Roman & British coins struck, AD 122 commemorating Emperor Hadrian visit to Britain leading to the building of Hadrian’s Wall.

This specific iconic Roman coin is one of the finest art works in the form of a coin and was on loan to the British Museum. A coin of Imperial Rome with an extraordinary reverse content, Hadrian is raised high on a platform with scroll ready to give an oration to the Roman legion of Britain indicated by three soldiers at its head bearing two legionary standards and a flag, as seen to the right.

The intricate detail of the coin’s craftsmanship – particularly in terms of each figure’s dress and equipment. Behind the three legionnaires bearing the standards was the Army of Britain. Below the wording in Latin is written EXER(citus) BRITANNICVS (the army of Britain)

www.petitioncrown.com
    https://www.facebook.com/petitioncrowncoin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Beautiful coin. Great reverse. Exceptional photo.

guy

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A stunning coin from a master engraver. Thank you for sharing it.

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

What a fantastic coin. Exactly the sort I'd expect to see in the BM.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It is amazing. I wonder if the BM would be interested in trading with me for one of my Constantius II? Hmmm.

Jwt708, stevex6 and Okidoki like this.
  7. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

8. Marc Aceton

Marc Aceton Active Member

This is one of the finest ancient coins in existence!:wideyed:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  9. Marc Aceton

Marc Aceton Active Member

Maybe, I can note that this coin has a find-spot pedigree. It is coming from the the Bolsena Hoard, which was acquired by Prof. Sarati in the 1890's, which Jeff told me and asked me to forward you.

A stupendous sestertius with complete find-spot history, what a luck one can see such a breathtaking item.

10. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

indeed very very nice,
    thx

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Curtisimo likes this.
  12. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

edited

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  13. Edward Arch

Edward Arch New Member

An amazing coin- priviledged to have handled an exact die match sestertius, reportedly found near Doncaster /uk many years ago. Beautiful stunning work of art of historic importance.

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Is it likely a special issue made in Rome and shipped to Britain for distribution as favors to leaders of the army there? If so, I would not expect more than one die. Are there any known that were found outside Britain?

15. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

What a wonderful example of the talent of Roman engravers!

16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

This is exactly the reason we love this great hobby. The "Master Engravers" are sadly missing in the modern minting facilities...

17. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Such an amazing piece!!!

18. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

That is a beautiful and of course very historical coin. I saw it at the British Museum in 2008 If I recall and was very impressed.
    I wonder how many examples of this coin are extant. I have only been able to find one other, apparently from the same dies in the internet.

19. Edward Arch

Edward Arch New Member

Hadrian coin.jpg This is the worn coin reportedly found in the UK, next to the famous piece!

20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you for posting the picture of the coin which was found in the UK. I looked for it was there was no reference to be found.
    It seems that makes a total of 3 specimens of this coin known?

21. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I am frankly captivated by the OP's sestertius. A dream coin.....

This is the other example which is illustrated in the internet (from romancoins.info)

Not as well preserved as the O.P coin, but showing most design details.
    Another beautiful example.

h2005-mint-britannia.jpg

Alegandron, Johndakerftw and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted