Roman Sacrifice--a Serrate of Postumius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Ever since numerous members have posted this denarius, I have been unsuccessfully chasing high grade examples of the type. Finally, I decided to drop my search a grade or so and scored one of about VF+ instead of EF+ or better---certainly it was far more budget friendly:D. And it had that cool reverse that differed from all other devices currently in my collection, although the bust of Diana on the obverse may be a die match to another denarius I already own.

From what I've been able to discover, this moneyer---as so many others--- used these devices to commemorate his ancestors:

".This type relates to the Battle of Lake Regillius, a legendary battle in which Rome triumphed over the forces of the Latin League, led by the expelled king of Rome Lucius Tarquinus Superbus, who was attempting to overthrow the Republic and reclaim the throne. The moneyer’s connection is to Aulus Postumius Albus, dictator at the time, who led the Roman army (as well as the Castor and Pollux, who fought alongside the Romans). Prior to the battle, the Romans made a special sacrifice to Diana at her temple on the Aventine Hill."

For some reason, I associate 'Roman sacrifices', especially in the early/late Republic, with small animals like fowl and the deer-like hind but that's far from the truth of it all. Consider the following:

"A prayer almost always will have been made together with a small offering to the deity. Such sacrifices did not always need to involve the killing of an animal, although this was very often the case. For the sacrifice had to be a symbol of life in some way or form. Milk, fruit, cheese, also wine were often used as less bloody offerings to the gods.

For the official rituals of the state gods it was animals which most of the time were sacrificed. And for each god there would be different animals. For Janus one sacrificed a ram. For Jupiter it was a heifer. Ravenous Mars demanded a ox, a pig and a sheep.....

Such animal sacrifices were by their mere nature very elaborate and bloody affairs. The animal's head had wine and sacred bread (baked by the vestal virgins) sprinkled over it. The animal was killed by having its throat cut. But before it was sacrificed it was disemboweled for inspection of its innards, to ensure that the god was not offered an animal bearing a bad omen. Should indeed something be found wanting about the animal's entrails then it was not only a bad sign, but a new animal would have to be sacrificed in its place. For this there must obviously have been other animals standing by. The most important organs of the dead beast would then be burnt on the altar. The rest of the animal was then either moved away, or later eaten as part of a feast. A priest would then say prayers, or better he would whisper them. This too was a closely guarded ritual, by which the priest himself would be wearing some form of mask or blindfold to protect his eyes from seeing any evil and a flute would be played to drown out any evil sounds Should anything about the sacrifice go wrong, then it had to be repeated. But only after another, additional, sacrifice had been made to allay any anger of the god about the failure of the first one. For this purpose one would usually sacrifice a pig. Thereafter the real sacrifice would be repeated. In order to avoid any embarrassment from being caused with ill-omened bowels, or slip-ups in ritual, it was usual to make a major sacrifice on the day before a grand occasion ensuring any possible errors during the big event would be excused in advance."

ox.jpg ox 4.jpg

ROMAN REPUBLIC. A. Postumius A.f. Sp. n. Albinus, 85 BC. AR Serrate Denarius (4.01 gm). Bust of Diana with bow and quiver / Priest sprinkling sacrificial ox. Postumia.7. Cr.372/1. Toned aXF.

rr postumus serrate.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Great coin!! Great write-up!!!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Always a nice type & one I would like too. Nice one.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Very nice Mikey. This is one of my favourite republic coins.
    downloadfile-26.png
    And here's another minted by Postumius in the same year.
    downloadfile-13.png

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Lovely toning!!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Beautiful coin, @Mikey Zee ! The serrated edge is interesting on the Roman Republic coins and doesn't look as much like bottle caps as the Seleucid coins. The Roman Republic coins have more of a gear look. It looks like V shaped grooves run the length of the rod (?) from which the flans were cut (?)

GerardV, Mikey Zee and TJC like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW @Mikey Zee ! NICE write-up, NICE-NICE Denarius... cool story on the Sacrifice! Honestly, I would have REALLY enjoyed being at a full Roman Sacrifice just for the full experience... yeah, gruesome, but it was such an ENORMOUS aspect of the Ancient Civilizations...

Yeah, those Carthaginians used to sacrifice CHILDREN to Tanit... now THAT is gruesome... whether true or not (I feel it was, especially in extreme situations), is one of the reasons WHY the Romans feared and hated the Cartheginians...

I have SIX Republican Denarii from the Albinus gens, but NONE from your issue. Plus a Clodius Albinus from the Imperial period.

I will toss a DIANA on the pile just to honor your REALLY cool Denarius!

RR Allius Bala 92 BCE AR Den Diana Biga Stags Sear 221 Craw336-1.jpg
    RR Allius Bala 92 BCE AR Denarius Diana - Biga of Stags Sear 221 Craw336-1

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

A. POSTUMIUS A.F. SP.N. ALBINUS.jpg
    A. POSTUMIUS A.F. SP.N. ALBINUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS POSTUMIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: HISPAN, veiled head of Hispania
    REVERSE: A ALBIN S N, togate figure standing left between legionary eagle and fasces, POST A F in ex
    Rome 81 BC
    3.34g; 20mm
    Syd 746; Cr372/2

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My coin of the type was purchased from Numismatic Fine Arts in 1988 (George Brauer sale). Today it is just as shiny as it was when I got it. Most coins from that period have toned at least a little bit but this has not. I have always wondered how it was 'treated' that had this result.
    r25680b00188.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  11. Mikey Zee

My knowledge of such is basically limited to this link:)

http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/articles/serrated/serrated.htm

I confess I feel exactly the same:sorry::D

Wonderful posts and comments everyone!! Thanks so much!!!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  12. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Amazing coin! I love the edges.

Thanks,
    Jacob

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Historical coins.. Congrats..

Mikey Zee likes this.
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great write-up and super coin, Mikey. Can't imagine why you'd need a better example than the one you bought, it's really excellent.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  15. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

16. Mikey Zee

Of course, I agree it's a lovely example and i'm more than happy with it.

Since about 80% of my collection grades Fine thru VF, I try to narrow the gap and increase those that range in EF+ grade whenever circumstances seem to allow---perhaps ultimately a 60-40 proportion?:)

Curtisimo, Alegandron and zumbly like this.
  17. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

You've had some real slam dunks this year @Mikey Zee. I'm waiting in anticipation for your year end top 10! (And everyone else's as well!)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

You picked a winner, very nice!!

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted