Roman Republican No. 54

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, May 7, 2021.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Sacrificial Implements

[​IMG]
    Ex: Agora - Alfredo de la Fe

Curtisimo, +VGO.DVCKS, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your great acquisition. Lovely coin, and great write up (again). I'm not always able to contribute something to your posts, but that doesn't mean I don't read your topics with great interests. I guess I focus on coins with a different reverse design, and/or different era. Even though Vesta and sacrificial implements are quite the common on coins, I seem to lack a proper depiction of both in my modest collection! (and I don't think this topic deserves the well known Caesar denarius or Caligula AS...)

+VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  4. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Donna, Lovely coin. An excellent example of the type.
    I took a stab and think I found the dies in Schaefer. Keyed on the folds in the veil, the unusual "S" in S.C. and the offset of the ALB in GALB. Yours is a much better coin than this though.
    upload_2021-5-9_20-39-27.png

5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wow; thank you! I think you're right! How extremely nice of you. I wonder what dealer the initials stand for. Not that it really matters, since it's not my coin.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    +VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  6. Kavax

Kavax Well-Known Member

An interesting tracking story for this bronze of Hiketas :

ex Bissen collection sale Hirsch 1906 then naville XII 1926 where it had been bought by Thomas Virzi . His collection has been dispersed by Leu in the 70's (3rd ticket) privately purchased by an unknown dealer (4th ticket - Malloy or Edgar Owen ?) and finally Münzen und Medaillen in 2015 where i bought the coin.

Hiketas.JPG

7. DonnaML

A beautiful coin. I hope that someday it will be easier to identify really old provenances like that; the only ones I have at the present time from before 1970 that are identified are one ex-Dattari Collection coin and one East Harptree Hoard coin. Right now, the available image searches aren't remotely adequate to the task -- they're not perfect even in identifying coins of the same type, let alone the same coin -- even apart from the fact that the substantial majority of pre-2000 auction catalog photos aren't in such databases to begin with. So it seems to me that it's presently more a question of luck, and the amount of time one is willing to spend going through old photos, than anything else. Obviously, having old tickets along with a coin can provide clues to provenance and can be very helpful.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  8. DonnaML

Here he is again, harassing me another time. Gee, I wonder why he singles me out. If this continues on a daily basis, I'm not sure what to do. Reporting him and getting him banned over and over again doesn't seem to do much good. It's easy to say "ignore him," and not so easy actually to do so.

Also: I'm not the one who seems to "go nuts" when someone uses his own words -- calling his own wife "superficial" and saying that "women brain does not work properly when it comes to logic" (see https://www.cointalk.com/threads/unexpected-costs.380026/page-3#post-7514026) -- and characterizes them as misogynistic, which he somehow takes as telling him that he's gay. He needs to look in the mirror when it comes to going nuts when someone criticizes what he says, and get over himself.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There he goes again!

10. DonnaML

And again -- look what he just posted. I think I'll save the post for my personal archive. It's classic. Classically dumb. I do wonder if he really believes that pointing out his misogyny is the same as calling him gay, because the two are supposedly synonymous. Is he too stupid to understand how stupid he is? Or is it just more trolling? I hate that he's trying to ruin this thread. Please delete his latest post and then close it. It's run its course anyway, and I don't need any more of his nonsense.

+VGO.DVCKS and Choucas like this.
  11. DonnaML

Moderators? I really don't appreciate being threatened.

+VGO.DVCKS and Ryro like this.
  12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I’m reporting his messages

+VGO.DVCKS, Ryro and DonnaML like this.
  13. DonnaML

Thanks, although I already did that.

And of course I never called him gay. Not that that's an insult.

+VGO.DVCKS and Ryro like this.
  14. hotwheelsearl

You’re a Buffoon man, go get a job or something.

15. hotwheelsearl

What’s the point? Honestly, man to man, why? I’m so curious about the state of mind for a Neanderthal like you, but my brain simply can’t devolve that far.

16. DonnaML

Maybe I should just stop posting for a while until he goes away. Having him repeatedly pursue me like this under new user names takes all the fun out of this place for me. I hate it

17. hotwheelsearl

I’m sorry this happened. I love your posts and I have no idea why anyone would harass you like that. :(

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and Ryro like this.
  18. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

That’s probably what this creature is hoping for. Keep on posting! :)

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and Ryro like this.
  19. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Please don't let this sad little person suffering from a clear chemical imbalance dictate what you do for fun.
    We love you on here Donna and their behaviors support my imbalance theory as they randomly shows up and then leaves for months. They gets off on affecting us. I might tease him/her, but I just feel sorry for them and how confused they are and hope they get help and find peace.
    But don't feed in to their mania and leave us.
    Here's a Muse for inspiration:
    1610884_1609749122.l-removebg-preview.png
    Q. POMPONIUS MUSA. Fourrée denarius (56 BC). Rome.
    Obv: Laureate head of Apollo right; sceptre to left.
    Rev: Q POMPONI MVSA.
    Melpomene standing left, wearing sword and holding club and mask.Cf. Crawford 410/4 (for prototype).Fine.2.95 g, 17 mm. Numismatik Naumann Feb 2021

20. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Ummm, their afraid of a strong women:jimlad::kiss: and that's been obvious from near everything they post for dramatics and attention.
    As for me, they actually brought up an old thread of mine talking about my using the club for pleasure. I responded negatively about them and the club being their mothers. I later turned the response into love, peace and hair grease. They got banned and then since my well written:bookworm::wacky: thread was on page one it was featured! thanks to their negativity I got some change back in the form of positivity:)
    IMG_0053.JPG
    Men have come a long way since these days.
    Let's behave like it guys.

21. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

No @DonnaML , please don't let him win. Don't stop posting. I enjoy your posts and have learned so much from you. unfortunately I have learned through life there just "ain't" no cure for stupid.

jdmKY, +VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted